The Intern Group participants The Intern Group participants

International Internships in Madrid

My Madrileños experience

Participating in an international internship with the Intern Madrid was such an incredible experience! On the weekends, I became a traveler and a foreigner exploring all the sights Madrid has to offer (my personal recommendation would definitely be to visit museums like Museo del Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza, Reina Sofia and Casa del Sorolla); but throughout the week I lived the life of a typical Madrileños, catching the Metro to work and grabbing a quick bag of Churros for breakfast on the way.

Madrid is a vibrant city full of friendly locals, beautiful sights, great food and a fun nightlife. My roommates (other Interns from the program) and I loved to explore the city, especially when searching for great places to eat. Although I survived in Madrid without knowing a lot of Spanish, however I would definitely recommend that prospective Interns learn some functional Spanish before you arrive. Knowing how to ask for prices, directions and to order food will make your life much easier. Plus, if you are a directionally challenged tourist like me, fear not! If you get lost in Madrid, simply search for a metro station and navigate from there or ask a local for directions. I loved to explore the city’s sites through walking miles and miles or taking the bus when I felt lazy(which has free WiFi!)

One of the best parts of my experience was having the amazing InternMadrid team’s support. They are with you every step of the way- organizing weekly activities and always ready to offer advice on where to visit, eat, shop and anything else that you can think of! I was always connected to them and the other Interns in the program, so there was always the option of organizing an outing with someone with the same interests as you.

Through my Internship, I gained invaluable experience and new skills in my respective field. Adapting to a new office culture is both exciting and nerve-racking, but if you're as lucky as I was you'll quickly get used to the culture through the help of lovely colleagues. I particularly miss having a snack at 11am in the office kitchen table joking or talking about the company's structure and history with my work colleagues. I certainly developed a new perspective on topics relating to my undergraduate degree.

Overall, I loved every second of my internship and truly miss Madrid. I would definitely recommend the InternMadrid program to anyone looking for an exceptional Spanish experience and professional development.

Internship in Madrid

I had an amazing time in Madrid. It first started with the amazing office and staff that was extremely accommodating, accessible and trustworthy. It is a bit of a leap to go to a different country without knowing anyone or anything about the country's culture but because of the office and staff at Intern Madrid, I felt safe, accommodated and felt like I had an ally with me every step of the way.
The culture and social life in Madrid was awesome because it was my first time in Europe. The European culture is very different and it was a great eye-opening experience. The language and cultural barriers were easy to navigate once I engaged in the language and did more cultural activities.
The internship I had was also great because I wanted to do Marketing and PR in a different field than sports because all my experiences had been in sports before. I wanted to branch out a little bit and working at Cano Estudio, a creative Marketing and PR agency with ties to the art and fashion world was a great experience. The people at Cano Estudio were great and extremely accommodating and I am glad everything really worked out.
Intern Madrid is a great program for anyone who wants a cultural, professional and social experience that is unique.

Events Coordination Internship in Madrid

I have to say I was very impressed with Intern Madrid. I spent nearly 6 months in Madrid organising events for a top Spanish company and I definitely feel that this internship has made me more employable while greatly improving my Spanish.

I definitely recommend the programme because the team showed that they genuinely care about interns' wellbeing. They made every effort for us to make friends and be happy, and they were there to help us whenever there was even the slightest issue or if someone needed help. It's not easy moving to another country where you know no one and the only locals you meet are your colleagues (no matter how lovely they are!), which is why I'm so thankful that Intern Madrid organised so many events for us. I made some really good friends during my stay that I would never have met otherwise.

Another great point is that fact that we didn't have to worry about finding accommodation and we all lived in very safe, central areas in Madrid.

I would recommend Intern Madrid to anyone!

One of the best 8-weeks of my life!

Doing an internship in Madrid has been one of the greatest experiences I've had.

Disclaimer: Be ready! In the early stages you will have a Skype interview with an Intern Group Programme Manager, who will work hard to put you on an internship that best matches your skills and experiences. Once you are accepted by the employer and you have paid your program fee, the process that follows is extremely quick. This can be quite daunting for some. But be confident. You will not regret it.

My advise: Commit yourself to getting the most out of your experience. Although I can honestly tell you, you will never be stuck with nothing to do. Not only will you find yourself begging for more time to explore whatever new and exciting country you've travelled to - I promise you! - The Intern Group organise a number of events each week that will immerse you in the local culture, entertain you and introduce you to new friends.

One of the best things about The Intern Group is the 24 hour support they offer throughout your stay. If you need to discuss something about your internship, you're feeling ill or you're lost on the way to an event... (a.k.a Myself. All the time!) there is always a representative a phone call, email or metro stop away. This is definitely a plus for first time travellers.

Not only do you get a great experience living and working in a foreign country you will network and make new friends on the way :-)))

It's an unforgettable experience that grows you professionally and personally. I would definitely recommend The Intern Group and thank them for such an awesome experience.

Best 10 week of My Life!!

Initially, I was hesitant to do my internship in Madrid because I felt that I would be out of place and out of my comfort zone. however, the Intern Madrid helped me feel comfortable and welcoming. Many of the other interns we so nice and friendly, made me enjoying Madrid more.

Two weeks after my final semester started, I was asked to give a presentation on my internship to my juniors at University. As public speaking isn't my forte, with the help from professional development workshop that I attended in Madrid, that made me fee confidence in giving a presentation.

Most of all my favourite experience of the internship were the opportunity given during internship, it made me think outside the box, the people I met and work with, the culture and the places I have explored were amazing. This internship gave me the best opportunity to be independent.

Thank you, Intern Madrid. I'll never forget the great experiences I had during my stay here and I will be back ^^

14,000 Km out of my comfort zone.... I loved every second!

The Intern Madrid team went above and beyond to ensure that my experience was one that I would never forget. From ensuring a safe and comfortable living environment, to finding an intern-ship that suited my personality, the team covered it all.

The places I saw, the experience I gained and the people I met will stay with me forever. Even though I was only in Madrid for a short 8 weeks, I felt as though I have gained a second home, due in part to the amazing people I met along the way.

I'm not a particularly outgoing guy, and being my first time travelling solo I was very uncertain about what to expect; but the things I learnt about myself definitely gave me the confidence to begin my professional career back home. In my second week back in Perth, I received two job offers thanks to my impressive CV. I cant take all the credit (as much as i'd like to), our professional development workshop came in handy especially when it came to writing my CV and developing interview skills. Not to mention how impressive working and living in Madrid looks on your CV..... Employers love that kind of stuff ;)

Thank you Intern Madrid, I had an amazing time and I'm sure i'll be back in the future.

M&A Internship

So, perhaps like many reading this review, back in Summer of 2013 I was graduating from my Masters degree with little on the horizon in terms of employment. I had achieved a distinction, a first in my undergraduate economics degree but, crucially, without having had a previous internship in a financial institution, finding employment in the impregnable world of London finance was seemingly impossible. At this juncture, having heard about the Intern Group, I decided to read up on them to understand what exactly was on offer. At the time, I felt if I could just secure an internship my prospects would change and I would have ticked all of the boxes necessary in order to secure a job. I was intrigued by what I read and was quickly put in touch with their central office in America to arrange my internship abroad. Having spoken to the team, they then directed me to the Madrid office and we discussed the specifics, opportunities available given my CV, when I could start and so on.

First hurdle, one which I'm sure has precipitated you searching out this review, was cost of the program. Let's not beat around the bush, it's a lot of money. You want to know you're going to come out of it getting significant value to justify the cost. I had the same concerns but, having spoken to a former intern through a mutual friend, decided the program was worth taking a chance on given the fact I had few other options.

I paid the deposit and, upon hearing there was an opportunity available in an M&A boutique, sold my car to embark on a 3 month internship in January last year.

So, to cut to brass tax, was it worth it? It was worth every single penny and more.

Placement & Work: My job as an analyst was stimulating, constantly evolving and gave me exposure to the world of M&A. As arguably the single most competitive practice area in finance, just securing a position in an M&A firm is testament to the quality of the Madrid team in sourcing opportunities. It was the job I asked them to find and they delivered, so on that basis alone I cannot fault them. I learned the exact kind of transferable skills in financial modelling and analysis that were previously lacking on my CV. Having enjoyed the work so much, I was able to extend my original stay to double the period (6 months) and the company were more than happy to accommodate. Crucially however, my decision to extend my stay wasn't based solely on how satisfying the work was, but was based on the confluence of an enjoyable job coupled with a fantastic social experience.

Social: The Intern Madrid team have an individual dedicated to arranging and overseeing an exciting calendar of social events throughout your stay. Whether you're a passionate football fan and want to see the Bernabeu in the guided tour, or wish to discover the culture of Spain with a trip to Toledo, there will be something every weekend (and during the week!) to ensure your down-time is at no point cause for a snooze. What's also good is the flexibility - during my stay the team, on multiple occasions, would arrange events around the wishes of the interns. If there's a particular event or activity that a suitable group-size want to experience they'll make it happen.

Concurrently, you're staying in what I discovered to be one of the most vibrant cities in the world. Madrid, literally, does not sleep. On plenty of occasions some of the other interns and I would arrange our own event during the week and just head on out. The social experience will ultimately be what you make it - Intern Group provide a fantastic platform but ultimately it will be up to you. I was housed with some other English guys, along with two Interns, who were teaching English in Madrid. They got involved with events at the Intern Group (they came to the theme park with us, the tapas evenings etc.) whilst we went along to events their fellow teachers were organising, including a house-party at a penthouse apartment that some Americans on their teaching programme owned... Further, even with my glaring lack of Spanish, my social experience even extended to the office and on multiple occasions I went out for drinks after work with colleagues. In my experience, and I'm sure the others on my program would agree, you'll actually find you have too much as opposed to too little in your calendar! The strength of the social experience is evidenced by the fact you'll have to weigh up numerous options of what you want to do with every evening of your week.

I came away from Madrid having made lifelong friends. Since returning to the UK, I've met up with some of the English Interns for a reunion and in April this year I'm headed back to Madrid to see two of my work colleagues over the bank holiday weekend!

But ultimately, whilst the social experience alone would have been worth the trip, I went there to pursue an internship and begin my career. I'm delighted to say that upon returning to the UK, I immediately attended two interviews and now work in a boutique Private Equity firm as an investment analyst. During both interviews, the primary area of questioning would be centred around my time abroad - one of the firms, who ended up giving my the offer and I now work for, was particularly taken with the fact that I in fact didn't speak Spanish and chose to go anyway. It shows your an individual with a mind open and inviting to new experiences, willing to challenge yourself.

So in summary - I sold my car and in return made friends for life and secured my dream job. I can guarantee you'll have your doubts and you'll have nerves all the way until you wake up on your first day in Madrid. Then you'll start work, you'll start making friends and you'll have your own Madrid experience that I have no doubt will be just as fantastic and unforgettable as mine was. Following your internship, you'll be set apart from your University friends but not just because of your CV, but because whilst they reminisce over their University experience and how it's once-in-a-lifetime and they wish they could go back and do it again, you'll be thinking the exact same thing but about your internship instead.

M&A Experience of a lifetime

Upon arriving in Madrid for my 10 week program, I was immediately thrown into the mix and culture of the Spanish people. This I have to say was my favorite aspect of the program. The idea of finding yourself an opportunity across an ocean in an unfamiliar country may seem crazy, perhaps even foolish, but I can proudly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. The feeling of walking to my job every morning knowing that I was going to be surrounded by helpful and experienced professionals each day really gave me the confidence that I needed to surpass expectations and grow as an individual.

I got exactly what I wanted and more from this experience. I was able to land a great and respectable job while practicing my spanish and even travel on the weekends. The Intern Group really made my experience enjoyable and seamless.

If you are looking to add to your CV, learn/improve language skills and experience unfamiliar cultures, meet new and exciting people, and have an amazing experience, the Intern Group will not let you down.

If I can do it again, I would in a heartbeat

My six month internship in Madrid was one of the best decisions I ever made and something I will cherish for years to come. After graduating from CSULB with a Hospitality degree, I was looking for an unique experience and I found The Intern Group.

After dealing with a long, dreadful visa process (since I was staying over 90 days), I was on my way to Madrid. I had a great 6 months with The Intern Group as they provided me with proper housing in one of the best neighborhoods in the capital (Malasaña) and gave me the opportunity to be an intern for Atlético de Madrid, a professional football team in Spain. Although the internship wasn't in the hospitality sector, I embraced my role and learned a lot about marketing through social media and how to improve the perception of a company through social media. This experience helped me expand my business network, and I am proud to say I have international connections with the people I met within the program and others I met through my internship.

The Intern Madrid staff was a small group (3-4 people), but were very attentive to any issues or questions I had for them. Thalassa, the director of the group, was always helpful and open to any suggestions I had for the group. Anytime there was an issue, she would be up and running, ready to solve it. Christina was also very helpful as she helped me get through my visa issues. I was always in contact with her during the weekdays throughout the process despite the 9 hour time difference. Larisa, who was the social events coordinator, was super friendly and genuinely wanted to help us have the best time through tapas nights, movie nights, or recommendations. She brings out the extrovert out of introvert people.

Although the Intern Group is only about four years old, I feel it has great potential to be one of the best international internship programs out there. The experience and the relationships I made in Madrid are priceless. I am thankful for the staff who made my six month stay truly one of the best times of my life and I hope to return soon.

Mergers and Acquisitions Intern

From the internship placement to the housing and social aspect of the program, Intern Madrid and Thalassa gave me the best opportunity to gain the most out of the experience. Quality service and assistance when required. Highly recommend an internship with Intern Madrid for the best experience due mainly to the work of Thalassa.