Learning French in Africa is an invaluable asset for anyone who envisions working in Africa as part of a long term career. Not only is it an advantage, it is normally required for development work with the United Nations, Medecins Sans Frontieres, & The Red Cross in Francophone Africa and Haiti.
By choosing Africa as a location to learn French, you will have a unique African cultural experience that can not be rivalled.
You will learn French in an individual or small group setting (1-5 students). All teachers are university-trained French teachers. You will learn French through reading & writing, the use of media, and field trips where you are guided in actively practicing your French.
Whether you are starting with the basics or building upon previous French knowledge, you can take classes with us. Once in-country, you will write a placement test to determine your current level of French and be taught accordingly.
In this program you will take classes for three hours per day, five days per week. Classes normally take place in the morning. However, you can take class in the afternoon or evening instead, according to your preference.
1 week to 2 months
Languages Used as a Medium of Teaching
Cost in US$:
the price for this is 1,070 dollars for the first two weeks, and an additional 270 dollars for each following week
Program Fees Include:
- Fifteen hours of French Class per week
- Pre-departure support: You will have a staff member available to support you throughout your time preparing to go abroad. In addition, you will be provided with all the resources you need including your Pre-Departure Manual & Culture Matters Workbook. The pre-departure manual includes all information you need regarding your destination, as well as advice on blogging and fundraising. The Culture Matters Workbook is a self-study course focused on:
- Culture shock
- Issues power and race
- Managing politics, religion, and gender
- Working effectively in a cross-cultural setting
- Preparing to reintegrate as you return home
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Accommodation (single or double occupancy in self catering apartment).
- Laundry, cleaning, and one African meal provided weekly
In-country staff support
What's not Included:
- Local transportation
- Pocket money
This Program is open to
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups of Up to five people
Application Process Involves
- Online Application
Typically The Application Process Time is