The Fuller Center for Housing Header Image The Fuller Center for Housing Header Image

Global Builders - Haiti: Build Alongside Locals

An unforgettable experience

I look back fondly on my time in Haiti because of the relationships I made there and because I learned so much about the country, its citizens and the world as a whole. The Fuller Center did an amazing job immersing us in the culture and teaching my peers on the trip and I about the community - its needs and why its thriving. Before going to Haiti I assumed everything there would be different. What surprised me wasn't how different it was from America but how similar it was. We arrived on a Sunday and I saw families going to church and taking the day off. We saw a wedding and a funeral while driving along the coast. I shouldn't have been so surprised to see these things but I was and I'm glad I bridged the gap in cultural understanding. Everyone in the world is more similar than I ever thought.

I had assumed the trip would be emotional and I would be very sad while there but the Haitian people are incredibly happy even though they have little. Seeing orphans and destruction didn't hit me as I assumed it would. I broke down when we landed in Miami's airport on our way home as the realization set in that we could simply leave and come back to life but what we just saw was their life and the Haitians couldn't just leave. There is still great need in the country and I hope to return one day. I encourage you to have this life changing experience as well.

My life has been changed for the better

I got to be part of a response team right after the earthquake and that trip began a passion for Haiti. The next year I connected up with the Fuller program and the passion, commitment, impact, gift is huger and huger by the year. Six trips later I can't wait for the next. And each year new people sign up with our teams and they also get the bug.

Very meaningful experience

The Fuller Center Haiti Program offers an amazing experience while providing extremely well built homes to families who were victims of the 2010 earthquake. I have been there multiple times and absolutely love this program.

Life changing event.

I have been to Haiti 3 times with Fuller Center. I am currently planning my fourth trip for next summer.

I highly recommend this experience. Working with Fuller's Haitian partner, Grace International, helped to develop long term relationships with the people of Lambi Village.

Jonny, Jude, Jennel, Viktor, Erica are all friends in the true sense of the word.

Rest assured, your money actually goes to those who need it. This organization is over 40 years old. I have seen many of their programs in action. You will not regret working with Fuller or Grace.