The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Thailand: Buddhist Traditions and Contemporary Culture

• The Adventure

Best 5 Weeks of My Life (thus far)

I had never traveled abroad prior to this trip, and studying Buddhism in the lovely country of Thailand seemed to be the perfect opportunity to learn how to travel. From the homestays to the hostels there was never a dull moment and everybody treated you like family. The group leaders were amazing and gave us the perfect amount of freedom while still keeping us safe. Although there was some concern in my family due to the coup which was in progress during my time there, The Experiment stayed in touch with my parents and talked them through the situation in an effective and genuine way. While it seemed as if learning and fun abroad was their main goal, it was evident that it was founded in providing safety to the high school students. Its been months since my trip has been over, yet, we still send letters amongst each other and I think about my time in Thailand every day. I highly recommend this program to not only novices in travel but especially to anyone who would like to see life through the eyes of Southeast Asia.

Amazing Experience

The Experiment in International Living gives high school students a unique opportunity to become immersed in another culture, while building friendships with interesting, new people and learning things that aren't typically learned in schools. I spent 5 weeks in Thailand creating memories with my group members who I still talk with everyday (5 months later). With scavenger hunts, community service projects, language classes and lots of exploring the cities, villages and breathtaking temples we were kept busy but we also had plenty of free time to bond over bowl of questions and throw ourselves spontaneous dance parties in our hostel. In addition to the incredible friends I made over the summer, I will never forget the kids I taught and played futbol and frisbee with in the villages and the generosity and welcoming, embracing hearts of my host family. Its beautiful how relationships can be built despite cultural differences and a language barrier. This truly was an amazing and unforgettable experience, and I definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to try something new, throw themselves into a new culture, learn tidbits of a new language and religion all while having a whole lot of fun.