The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Netherlands: Dutch Culture and LGBTQ Rights

The Netherlands experience

My time traveling with the Experiment in the Netherlands was unparalleled by any other adventure I'd gone on so far. We were treated with respect and given independence while discovering a new and exciting culture, and had wonderful opportunities to meet locals and get a thorough history of the Netherlands. I ate delicious food, slept comfortably in our beautiful hostels, made wonderful connections both with my group and my co-leaders, and was greatly inspired to start volunteering back at home. This trip was amazing, and I recommend the Experiment for a safe and happy learning experience.

Living in the Netherlands

The program was only 4 weeks, but I felt as if I've lived there for a while at the end of the program. My group was relatively small, with only 11 others kids from all over the US. Everyone already had some type of background on the program theme, but we were all excited to learn more.

We spent the 4 weeks mainly in Amsterdam with our host families for about 3/4 weeks. Some people got single family households while some got siblings! We were all spread out throughout Amsterdam and had to learn how to navigate the city with the buses and trams. I lived about 40 minutes away from the centrum by public transport (where we met everyday), so I had quite the commute. This is the aspect of the program that I felt more culturally immersed because I had a home in the city, went to the office everyday, and learned little things about Dutch culture along the way.

In the times where we weren't with our host families, the group would take weekend trips in cities throughout the Netherlands such as Utrecht, Rotterdam, Sneek, and the Hague! We would stay in hostels with one another and go biking pretty often! You really learn a lot on this program and I can say that the amount of museums and speakers we've visited gave me a lot to take away. We were even conveniently there for Amsterdam PRIDE, which was such an amazing experience. We had a lot of free time to explore the city and visit museums together as a group! Rules were always set in stone to make sure that we were safe such as being home by midnight, being in groups of 3, and staying in communication with our host families.

This trip was such a great learning experience overall. My group & group leaders were one of the best travelling companions I could ask for.