The English Camp Company Header Image The English Camp Company Header Image

Teach in Italy and Austria Summer

Best summer ever!

Over the past 2 summers, I have had the opportunity to work in Italy and Austria for non other than the English Camp Company and I am currently planning for my 3rd!

From start to finish Ashleigh and Nate as well as all the other English Camp company members have been kind, respectful, resourceful and organized. The Orientation in my 1st year gave me way more than enough ideas and information to feel prepared and motivated to start teaching and organizing games at the camps.

I had the best time with the other tutors and all the children who attended the camps! They are enthusiastic and eager to learn. The whole language barrier isn't even a problem, you would be surprised at how many hand gestures you can come up! It may seem like a huge challenge at first but It all comes together perfectly with the help of your team of tutors/director. Also, the way the camp is organized gives you a great balance of teaching, summer camp games and time to interact with children more personally at the breaks or at lunch.

One of my favourite parts is getting to live with the host families. They treat you like one of their own and even go the extra mile of planning fun activities for the weekend or nights. I am so grateful for the places I have seen with them and the opportunity to learn about Italian/Austrian culture from the locals. It is really an experience like no other. One you cannot get from traveling with friends or alone staying at a hotel. I still keep in contact with all 7 of my host families. I have gone to visit a few of them after camp ended and I feel like they will always be distant family in a way.

Its amazing to get to teach children who are so motivated to learn English and to have a good time. I have formed strong friendships through the English Camp Company and have lots and lots of memories from traveling all over Italy and Austria. This has been an unforgettable experience, 10/10 would recommend!

Find me on Facebook if you have questions, I am happy to help :)

What you're looking for.

You can wade through the internet for hours finding an international work program with very few results. Your search ends here.

The ECC provides a REAL opportunity to work overseas, live with host families, and get PAID. You will be hard-pressed to find a more deeply immersive experience or cooler people to work for. With that in mind, working with children all day is very taxing, staying with host families has its awkward moments, and homesickness is a real ailment. However, if you're the type of person that loves kids and experiencing other cultures then this is for you. Apply.

-written by a former ECC tutor.

An Awesome Experience

It doesn't really feel like you're working when you start the day singing songs at the top of your lungs and later you're playing real-life Hungry Hungry Hippos with balloons and longboards. Camp is an insane amount of fun. You need to enjoy working with kids, be energetic and crazy. You will meet other like-minded people, and live with the loveliest of families. I can't recommend this job enough. Nate and Ashleigh are fantastic to work for and Italy and Austria are two truly stunning countries that you will be fortunate to see so much of.

• Teacher Support

The summer of a lifetime, three years running.

You know you've found something special when you spend 9 months of the year counting down to when you can finally get back to Italy, finally get back in the classroom, finally enjoy the summer days once more.

I cannot rate working for The ECC highly enough. The fact that I've chosen to return for three summers in a row is testament enough to the amazing work of The ECC.

Ashleigh and Nate give you all the support you need, and more, to make sure you're fully prepared for teaching and leading the afternoon activities. They also make it very clear that they are only a phone call away should you need any help, with absolutely anything, during your stay in Italy & Austria.

Host families, for me, this is the best part about working with the ECC. It can be nerve racking at first, but trust me by the end of the second day it will be like you've known each other for years. It's a truly unique experience and one that everyone should to enjoy at some point in their life. It's like home away from home, and when the time comes to say to goodbye to each other, it really will be like parting from your real family.

Travelling around Italy and Austria every two weeks to get to the different camp locations means that you get to see so much more of the countries you teach in. Plus with each new location, comes a new town to explore, a new host family to get to know and a new camp with loads of crazy energetic children, and a new team of tutors to work with too. A total fresh start, every two weeks.

The happiest days of my life has been spent working for The ECC. So if you're looking for a taste of adventure, in a new country bursting with opportunity, work for The ECC. You won't regret a single second of sunshine filled bliss.

• Teacher Support

ECC is the place to be !

Teaching abroad with the English Camp Company was an experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Being a supply teacher in Toronto, I wanted an opportunity to not only have a fun cultural experience, but to also bring back home with me valuable resources and skills that can be added to a resume. Working with the ECC provided me with all of this and more!

Dealing with Ashleigh was always a pleasure. I have never traveled alone before and was thus a little apprehensive about leaving for a long period of time. She answered all of my inquiries and concerns prior to applying and made me feel like I was never alone in the process. You will always be able to contact Ashleigh and Nate if you ever have a problem during your time in Italy/ Austria. Even when my flight got delayed upon my arrival to Italy, Ashleigh and Nate were at the airport to pick me up at midnight! .. This is just one example of how the directors go out of their way to make sure you are safe and comfortable. From that moment on, I knew I would be in good hands.

Once you arrive, you will partake in a one- week orientation session. This week will give you the opportunity to meet other tutors, learn some great lessons/activities that you can use with your students and see some beautiful sights. On the last night of orientation you will be given the train tickets to your first camp.

Camp life: Every two weeks you will be placed at a different camp with new tutors to work with. I found everything to be very organized and structured. Ashleigh and Nate provide you with a booklet filled with lessons that will assist you in your teaching practices. The day starts off with morning circle songs, followed by English lessons in the morning and fun activities after lunch. You will have a blast with the children and other tutors. After your first week at camp you will start to feel like family. By the end of the two weeks you will not want to leave.

Host families: I do not think I can put into words how amazing my host families were. Not only did they pack me the best lunches to take to camp, they took me to some amazing places, cared for me when I was sick and really made me feel part of their family. To this day I still keep in touch with all of my host families. My only regret is that I couldn’t do more for them. If you are open to getting to know your host family, learning from them and teaching them some of your own culture, they will give you their whole heart. I was in tears every time I had to say goodbye.

Now that I am back home, I think about the summer I spent in Italy and Austria and cannot wait to return. The teaching methods I learned while at ECC are ones in which I use in my classrooms back home. I am so thankful to be given such an amazing opportunity. The only advice I can give you is to:
Befriend the tutors you get to work with. They all have a unique story. I am so fortunate to have met some amazing individuals that I can now call my life long friends. Remember to laugh with your students….And get ready for the best summer of your life!

Go with ECC!

Working with the English Camp Company is an awesome summer job opportunity, especially if you are in the education field. As a recently qualified teacher, being apart of ECC allowed me to immediately work with children in a fun and easy environment, all while being in Italy and Austria! You get to stay with host families who absolutely adore you, eat an endless amount of awesome food, and constantly explore two beautiful countries. If you are planning to work along side ECC, be prepared to adore the kids and fall inlove with new culture. Overall, its a great way to make some money over the summer while traveling and learning something new.