The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Wellington and Palmerston North - Massey University

Adventure awaits

Whenever I’m asked, “How was New Zealand?” my go-to response is always a definitive “Fantastic.” I’ll then launch into the long-winded and enthusiastic account of my travels, pausing only to take breath. From absolutely stunning beauty to engaging academics to the friendliest people I’ve met, New Zealand has it all. I can barely begin to describe what an immensely positive and valuable experience studying abroad was for me. TEAN really is to thank for orchestrating such a smooth, stress-free transition, which allowed for me to focus on academics and cultivating a wider global awareness. Without the initial foundation that TEAN built through orientation and the support from staff, I would not have been nearly as confident as I was when it was time to venture off on my own.

I absolutely loved how creative and artistically expressive the city of Wellington is. There is so so much to do and explore all within a short walk; hardly any two points in the city are more than a half hour walk from each other tops. Cafes, restaurants, and boutiques are abound. Museums are free and there are some beautiful hikes just outside the city.

I lived in The Cube which is Massey University’s Accommodation where the first-year students lived. It was very much like being in a Freshman dorm again with RAs and Hall events, but I absolutely loved the strong sense of community it fostered. By the end of the semester, my floor had become my family and home away from home. I would highly recommend living in university housing if given the choice because there are so many ways to make friends and get involved with events that you might not otherwise have had the opportunity to.

Lastly, I thoroughly enjoyed the curriculum I was able to take while abroad. With Massey’s Wellington campus being known as the oldest and most prestigious design school in New Zealand, it was a perfect fit to complement my Graphic Design major. The academics were rigorous yet rewarding, and very much what you make of it.

Never Wanted to Leave!

Wellington is to this day my favorite city in New Zealand and it was a privilege to be able to study at Massey in the city. The culture is so interesting and there is always something to do at any given point of the day. Whether it be a nice walk along the water front, going to Te Papa, the coolest museum (and its free), or going out at night with friends, Wellington really has it all. Massey was perfectly located just a short walk from downtown and made everything really easy to get to.
I lived with 3 other New Zealand students and an American student, which was a good mix I felt. You get a single room with a full size bed, but the apartments are more like dorms than other schools living situations like Victoria (also in Wellington). Massey was a really cool school with a nice campus and really helpful and intelligent professors.

Overall I couldn't have been happier with my experience and that all started with TEAN. The work they put in to make sure you are all set to go on your semester abroad, as well as the activities they set up once you get there are really helpful to make you feel comfortable in a new place, and to help entice the students to get to know each other and become friends. My best friends to this date have come through The Education Abroad Network and I am so thankful this is the program I chose to study abroad with!

An Epic Middle-Earth Adventure!

TEAN was amazing! Both their state-side and in-country staff were extremely helpful and very kind. My semester abroad in New Zealand started off with a bang as TEAN offered a pre-semester trip to Fiji. The way that TEAN creates a group dynamic is incredible and before I knew it, everyone in my program became a lifelong friend. TEAN provided an incredible orientation session at the beginning of the semester and they even offered several excursions and group meet-ups throughout the semester. TEAN helped me make the most of my study abroad experience in New Zealand and I can honestly say that my entire experience would not have been anywhere near as exciting without them.

A Dream Come True - My Semester in New Zealand

TEAN was a great program to study abroad with. They were very informative and helpful with any and all of the questions that I had before, during, and after my abroad experience. TEAN is great at introducing the country and culture to the Students. TEAN staff is very caring and one of the best aspects of the program is that TEAN is very personal; they know who you are before you even meet them!

Interesting and diverse classes.

I felt extremely integrated with the local culture. Rather than staying in one specific area of New Zealand to learn about the culture, I chose to travel the country and explore what I like to call the greater 'country culture'. TEAN began our cultural immersion with amazing activities that involved a day partaking in outdoor adventure activities - Canyoning & Rugby on Piha Beach - and the other day with familiarizing the students with the local Maori culture.

TEAN's on-site staff was incredible! They had the perfect balance with staying in touch with students, as they were neither too over-bearing, nor impossible to contact. If needed, the staff was a simple text or phone call away. Other than that, they met up with us monthly to see how we were doing and discuss our trips, classes, and plans for the remainder of our time. Although they did give us our freedom in the country, they were always looking out for us; a perfect example, was my incident in Queenstown, New Zealand. I ended up dislocating my shoulder during my trip to Queenstown, and within 24 hours (me, still being slightly unaware of everything) I had on-site TEAN staff, along with US-based staff and even TEAN-staff in other countries send me emails, texts, and other notifications to see if I was okay and if I needed anything. The feeling I got from all those messages was incredible, it was nice to know that TEAN actually cared for my safety and well-being.

Amazing

The TEAN New Zealand programs are amazing. A pre-semester trip to Fiji, Spring Break options in Asia, and ever-present help if you need it- this program has it all. They help you with every step along the way from applying to choosing a location to housing and even an in-country orientation when you arrive. I had the time of my life when I went abroad with TEAN (to Massey University- Palmerston North). I would do it all again in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Since I don't, I highly encourage you to take advantage of the option instead.

Amazing New Zealand

Studying abroad has definitely been the most exciting and rewarding experience of my life. The lifelong friendships and unforgettable memories that I have made are irreplaceable. I don’t think that I could have had a better experience anywhere else or with anyone else.

I knew that I wanted to study abroad in New Zealand since I was in high school, and the only question I had was how I was going to get there. Looking back on it now I feel that the best decision I made regarding my entire abroad experience was making the decision to go with TEAN as a provider. The people at TEAN are extremely friendly and helpful. They really attempt and get to know their students and help them feel comfortable as much as they can.

I attended the pre-semester trip to Fiji, which was absolutely amazing and a perfect way to meet the other program members. The nervousness and anxiety that I felt on the flight over was immediately replaced with excitement once we arrived at our resort and I met the other TEAN students. The pre-semester trip and the orientation in Auckland made the transition to New Zealand and being abroad for the first time much easier.

I was originally studying at the University of Canterbury until the February 22 earthquake struck Christchurch and we ere forced to transfer. TEAN did an amazing job with helping us switch schools and made the transfer to Massey University in Wellington much easier for us. The support that TEAN provided us during this stressful time was outstanding. The people at TEAN really helped us feel comfortable and took care if us during the process of moving.

My experiences in Wellington were also amazing. I loved the city of Wellington and living in the Cube apartments made for easy and quick access to campus as well as downtown Wellington and the beachfront. Wellington is an awesome city with a lot of culture and art. Although Massey Wellington is particularly suited for design, fashion, or art students, I found my business classes to be very interesting and I really learned a lot. I enjoyed my time in Christchurch but I am very glad that I ended up going to school in Wellington. It was an amazing place with friendly people and I doubt I will ever live in a city as unique as Wellington. I will never forget my experiences in New Zealand and cannot wait to go back!

Amazing Time in New Zealand

TEAN's New Zealand program was fun and well-organized. It provided an extensive pre-semester orientation program, allowing for immersion in the culture and meeting other students studying there. It allowed me to make friends that I have kept even since coming home, and to adjust to be abroad.

During the course of the semester, TEAN offered support and activities that were both fun and helpful. I enjoyed activites offered, such as meet-ups and going to see an Alll Blacks rugby game. The staff were all friendly and knowledgeable.

Wellington is a vibrant and exciting city to live in. There are many museums and things to do, as well as fun night life. Massey University had a great international students program that offered activities and support throughout the semester. I felt very welcome in all of my classroom and university environments. Wellington was a good central location from which to travel to other parts of the country, as flights to the south island and buses to other parts of the north island were cheap and readily available.