The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Victoria University of Wellington

Victoria University WLG and The Education Abroad Network

Studying abroad in New Zealand was always a dream of mine when I was in High School. The education abroad network (TEAN) proved to not only be the best program for me as an international studies major, but as a young traveler eager to see the country. TEAN has in an in country staff that is very helpful and guides you through helpful orientations along the way. I was able to experience real New Zealand culture through many different events planned by TEAN as well as travel outside of the program. I felt safe, supported, and happy because of the help of this program. VIC University is a phenomenal school with a gorgeous campus that over looks the greater Wellington area. I found the courses to be engaging and thoroughly interesting. Wellington itself is my favorite place in the world, seriously. I would go back and do it again in a heart beat if I could!

Not all those who wander are lost- J. R. R. Tolkien

I love to travel, and I hope that never changes. Coming to New Zealand has made me realize how much I love to travel for an extended period of time. Backpacking around is fun and all, and I love that too, but I loved meeting the people here, spending time with the Kiwi's learning the Maori Culture, taking classes, going to food stores, and being fully immersed in a culture the way that you can never experience in only a few days or weeks at a time.

The Best Way to Learn and Grow

Studying abroad in general ends up being one of the most important decisions of your life. Studying abroad with TEAN as your program makes it the BEST decision you will ever make. As your time in another country transforms the person you are into something even better, the program that is there to guide you becomes an invaluable tool for you. From orientation in Fiji and Auckland, to the programs they hosted for us throughout the semester, TEAN made my semester above and beyond amazing. They were so good at keeping in touch and communicating with all of us, and prepared us so well for our journey.

Wellington was a very cultured, perfect sized, host city. If you love coffee and cafes, and being right around beautiful harbour, it is the city for you! I spent countless days just exploring everything the city had to offer, and I rarely missed a farmer's or night market that the city had every weekend. Not to mention, that Wellington is a very convenient place to travel from! Victoria University was a school in which I could learn and build friendships with so many other students. I quickly got to know my professors and became more aware of the culture of the country. I am extremely grateful that I chose Wellington as my place to learn and grow!

When Can I Go Back?

All my best friends studied abroad in Europe and when they found out I would be going to New Zealand a lot of them questioned why. However, I have never been more happy with a choice I have made. I got to see a portion of the world that without study abroad and TEAN I don't know if I would have ever experianced. 10,000 miles away from home in a foreign country The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was always there to provided assistance if I needed it. Without TEAN's pre semester excursion I would never have gone to FIJI and made some life long best friends. TEAN was the best program I could have picked and the various times they provided students with free food throughout the semester just solidified my choice! I can't wait for the day I get to go back to Wellington!

When I Left The Only Thing I Could Think Of Was Going Back

My abroad experience will absolutely have a lasting impact on my life. Everything was just perfect, from the staff at The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) to the beautiful, picturesque scenery that surrounded me everyday. Without TEAN this trip may not have been possible. The program helped me every step of the way and made the whole process stress free. I had no idea what to expect as I began my journey to study abroad. I had so many questions... Where do I go? How will I get there? Can I even afford it? After I decided to go to New Zealand, TEAN helped me learn all I needed to know about leaving the country for the first time. I remember my parents looking over the program and a huge weight being lifted off of their shoulders. I had never been so far away from home and I had never been without my parents for so long. After they saw all of the support we had, they felt comfortable letting me go. TEAN helped buy affordable flights that included flights to Fiji, Auckland, and my home destination in Wellington. As a student on a tight budget I was worried study abroad would be out of my reach. Fortunately, I was wrong. Not only did I get abroad, but I had a program trip to Fiji, an 11 day trip around the South Island, many explorations around the North Island, and trips all around Wellington. TEAN even brought us to an ALL BLACKS GAME, which, might I add was awesome (the Haka gave me chills)!! I cannot thank TEAN enough for all they did for me. The on-site staff in Wellington was absolutely amazing. The Chicago staff was wonderful. Every little bump I had along the way was fixed quickly and efficiently by the TEAN staff. So, THANK YOU TEAN... can I go back yet?!

The Education Abroad Network Opened My Eyes to the World of Travel

It is hard to put into just a few sentences what a great impact my experience in New Zealand through the Education Abroad Network had on my life. The people I met, places I traveled, and experiences I gained were absolutely incredible.
The staff at the TEAN office were extremely helpful from the beginning. They were always available and willing to help with every step of the process from acquiring a visa, to selecting classes to take the university, and even with packing tips.
My abroad journey began with an orientation in Auckland followed by an amazing trip to Fiji. Throughout orientation we learned about New Zealand culture and started to get a feel of what it was like to become a member of their society.
I could not be happier with my decision to study at Victoria University in Wellington. Wellington is the coolest little capital with mountains, city, and water all wrapped into one. There were always new places to eat, shop, and explore.
Studying at the university was also a great experience. I was placed into classes full of Kiwi students, allowing me to make other friends besides other international students. I learned about New Zealand history and the country's larger position in the world and it was truly an eye opening experience.
I would not trade my experience in Wellington New Zealand for anything in the world. I learned so much throughout the whole process and now hope to be able to travel to more beautiful countries in the future.

TEAN opened me up to the world of travel

It is difficult for me to wrap up how I feel about my experience with TEAN and with living/studying in Wellington and just a few sentences. TEAN provided me with the opportunity to explore new countries, cultures, and people, while discovering things about myself all at the same time.
Before even leaving the US, the members of the TEAN staff were extremely helpful in guiding me through the visa process, choosing my classes, and makings sure that I was completely prepared for my trip abroad. All of the representatives on the phone were friendly, informative, and insightful even just while calling the office to ask a few last minute questions.
Through TEAN I began my abroad experience in Fiji and then had orientation in Auckland. Just during orientation they gave us a thorough introduction to the culture, and gave us helpful ideas on how to fully assimilate into New Zealand culture.
Living in the beautiful city of Wellington was the most amazing experience I've ever had. I had discovered a place that was mountains, city, and water all wrapped into one. A place that encouraged me to step outside of my comfort zone, a place of adventure, and of unique culture.
I also really enjoyed studying at Victoria University of Wellington. I was able to learn more about New Zealand and its history, while also meeting Kiwi students in my classes and really getting a feel for what their daily lifestyle is there.
The endless adventures and opportunities that TEAN provided for me, helped me to learn, grow, and most of all inspired me to travel in the future. I am so incredibly lucky to have been able to call Wellington New Zealand my home for 5 months and I am continue to count down the minutes until I return.

Time Of My Life!

Going abroad to New Zealand through The Education Abroad Network was the best decision I have made in my college career. The program does an amazing job of getting you prepared to go abroad, getting all of your documents in order, and reassuring you that they are there to help with any questions or problems. The friends that you make through the group become some of your best friends and that is due to the fact that TEAN does an excellent job preparing activities that get people to converse and really get to know each other. I would recommend studying abroad through TEAN to anyone!

Breathtaking!

The most memorable experience for me was my week long trip to the norther part of the south island stuffed in a car with the people that would become 5 of the best friends I've ever had. We arrived in Wellington almost a week before classes started so we decided to use that time to explore. We spent 3 days backpacking, took a bike wine tour and camped in the middle of a field surrounded by the most beautiful mountains. At the beginning of the week, my companions we just some random people who wanted to travel and by the end they were some of the greatest people I've ever met. It was truly the experience of a lifetime.

I chose my program based on how helpful they were before I even committed to traveling with them. They answered all of my questions and never pushed me to make one decision or another. The staff was young and excited, with the same passion for travel as I had. After speaking with them, I knew they were the right choice and they continued to be helpful throughout the entire process.

I lived in a 5 bedroom flat really close to campus. I had two female and two male roommates, who were all great. One of them was our 'kiwi-mate' who lived with us and helped us navigate though New Zealand culture. We all had our own room and a full kitchen and living room. The only downside to the flat I lived in was we were hooked to campus internet, which got REALLY slow when classes we in session, which happened to coincide with the times I could skype family. Other than that, a great experience.

The experience of a lifetime...

My experience in New Zealand is one I wouldn't trade for anything. In 5 month, I learned more about myself and the world around me than an entire lifetime of school could teach. New Zealand is a truly breathtaking place, filled with so much wonder. There is something for everyone, from beaches and sailing to mountains and skiiing. In those 5 month I made the best friends any person could ask for. I climbed mountains with them, swan in the oceans of Fiji and jumped off bridges. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this program, because without TEAN, I'm not sure my experience would have been the same.

Experience of a Lifetime

I can not speak more highly of this program. After returning to the US I have told anyone who will listen that they should go to New Zealand and go through TEAN. They made the often terribly confusing process of going abroad a breeze and their entire staff is more than willing to help you every step of the way. They don't stop once you leave the US either. Their orientation made me feel so comfortable in a completely new country and I had the more fun in the first 48 hours in New Zealand than I had in the past year. The country is beautiful and offers something for everyone. I was able to experience things that shocked my friends from home and things I never thought I do myself. Overall, this was the best decision I made in my 4 years of college and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks for the Experience

There are so many memories to choose from, but I will pick the moment when I spent a day with one of my Kiwi friends in Wellington. We walked along Cuba Street, and there was a band that played songs from "I Like to Move It" from Madagascar and the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song! She showed me the Waterfront for the first time, and I laughed at how she would run away when a bird came near her! She is one of my closest friends now, and we keep in touch through Facebook and Skype!

My mind was already made up about traveling to New Zealand, but I chose TEAN for several reasons. The main thing was affordability, which included an orientation to Fiji. TEAN also had a booth at my school, and Kate Hilby was their Rep. Speaking with her about her experience in Australia and TEAN in general made me excited to choose them. Past TEAN reviews encouraged me to travel because of their availability and activities while overseas.

Above and Beyond

My most memorable experience with TEAN was the pre-semester excursion to Fiji. They brought us 30 New Zealand students to Fiji before orientation and it allowed us all to get to know each other and begin to step out of our comfort zone. We also got to engage in cultural activities such as rugby, spear throwing, cultural dance, and also a visit to the local village. We were able to go snorkeling and kayaking whenever we pleased, or just relax on the hammock if we wanted to. All of us students got to know each other very well and made an effort to visit each other throughout the semester.

I chose TEAN because I heard amazing things about them. My school thought they were cooperative and easy for the students handle. I also had my heart set on New Zealand, and they are one of the few that offers this opportunity.

I lived in a flat along a terrace right down the street from the university and bus stop to the city. It housed four girls including myself, and we each got our own rooms, while we shared a lounge, kitchen, bathroom, and laundry facilities. Our entire street was filled with abroad students, which made for an exciting atmosphere. The city was a ten minute walk away and the bus was also a well-organized system of transportation. I could not have asked for a better living situation.

TEAN, Thanks for the Experience of a Lifetime!

Most of my favorite memories were in New Zealand, and it was all thanks to TEAN. TEAN’s Orientation gave me a great first impression of TEAN. Fiji gave me a firsthand experience of life in the Pacific Islands. The cultural activities (e.g. kava ceremony) exposed me more to the indigenous culture, and I took in the beauty of the island by walking along the beach and hiking to a nearby village.

The TEAN-organized activities during my time in New Zealand made my experience an unforgettable one. Free front-row seat tickets to the All Blacks game and extravagant dinners made me love TEAN even more. Those activities gave me an artistic feel about New Zealand in general. I experienced the lifestyle of a New Zealander and observed the various elements (e.g. All Blacks haka dance) that made New Zealand a country that is one-of-a-kind.

The TEAN staff abroad made me feel right at home. They were always available and gave prompt responses in all situations. Additionally, they did follow-ups throughout the semester and gave group invites to popular spots in the area. They gave advice on how to make a memorable experience by recommending hot spots or popular events, such as the weekly cultural night markets in Wellington. I personally had fun and exciting times with some of the TEAN staff, and we even became lifelong friends. We hung out on several occasions, and our moments are some of the best highlights of my experience with TEAN in general!

TEAN Went Above and Beyond

TEAN is 100% supportive from beginning to end. They work on a personal level with you in order to feel comfortable and confident that this is something the students are capable of accomplishing. The staff is very easy to access and they answer your questions within 24 hours, if not the same day. They give plenty of time to hand in all sorts of documentation, and also reminders when due dates were approaching. When it came time to meet them in person, they welcomed us with arms wide open. They kept us organized when transferring from different destinations and not once did I think they weren't keeping things in line. They were amazing people to bond with and get to know. It was obvious they love their job and dedicate so much effort and support to us students in order for us to have the best experience.

5 Islans, 3 Countries, 10 pounds, and no regrets!

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was the perfect program to study abroad with. They maintained the perfect balance of keeping in touch and helping us out while still giving us our space so we could have our own adventures and experiences. Before we left for our semester abroad TEAN maintained excellent, speedy communication about what was happening and what we needed to be doing to get ready to leave - this alleviated a lot of unknowns and nerves for everyone. We started out the semester with orientation on a small, rural island in Fiji, which was the perfect place to get to know everyone in our program and begin to build life-long friendships. We then flew to Auckland where we were able to really get to know New Zealand and dive into the culture by learning about the Maori history and even canyoning! Throughout the semester TEAN brought us to a rugby game, took us out to coffee to chat and catch up, sent us monthly events that were happening around the country so we could plan trips around them, planned optional excursions throughout New Zealand, Australia, and Thailand, and took us out to a farewell dinner before we all left the country.

I highly recommend TEAN to anyone that is considering studying abroad. You can't go wrong and will have an amazing semester if you chose The Education Abroad Network.

Most Amazing Experience of my Life.

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is the best study abroad program there is. It was a completely life changing experience. I got to travel to places I could never imagine going to and meet people from all over the world and our own country. I wouldn't have picked another program; the staff was so helpful, nice, and totally fun!
I studied in New Zealand and I was able to travel around New Zealand as well as attend trips to Fiji and Thailand which TEAN had organized. TEAN makes everything so easy, they plan everything out and you just show up and have an amazing time! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you're crazy if you don't take the opportunity! I did more growing up in the last 5 months of my life than I have my whole time in college. Over the five months I spent in New Zealand I fell in love with the country and the people! Because of my time spent in New Zealand, it will always be a second home to me and hold a special place in my heart. I did things I never imagined I'd get the opportunity to. I made friends that I will keep for the rest of my life.
It's not your typical studying experience when you go abroad and TEAN knows how to make it worth every penny and make it the best experience possible! I was really nervous and scared before I left for my time abroad but that feeling left when I arrived and met the other TEAN program students as well as the staff. We did fun activities and got to "hangout" all day so that there wasn't even time to feel nervous or homesick. TEAN helped immerse us into the new culture and country really well. I wasn't home sick at all during my five months abroad.
I don't regret spending a single dime on this program nor my time abroad. I strongly recommend it to everyone!

I LOVED TEAN! I think you guys did a great job...

I LOVED TEAN! I think you guys did a great job at making us feel comfortable. I never felt alone because we were able to get to know our group and our advisors before we got to our campuses. I didn't feel like I was lost in a big group of people. I feel that TEAN helped us really build relationships.

The Perfect Mix of Support and Freedom

New Zealand itself is an absolutely amazing and magical place on it's own, but under the expert guidance of the Education Abroad Network, I was able to jump right into experiencing all the fun and excitement that Wellington had to offer. The pre-semester trip to Fiji was the perfect way to relax and get to know fellow students in the program before the 5 day, adrenaline packed, orientation in Auckland. I still can't believe all the things we were able to do in such a short amount of time, from playing rugby on the beach, hiking to waterfalls, zorbing, and white water rafting, to listening to Maori legends in the middle of the rainforest. It was awesome! When I finally got to Wellington, everything was completely set up for me to begin living and exploring. If you don't want to have to worry about all the little details, but also want the freedom to do what you want, the Education Abroad Network is the program for you.

I was in a house with a huge window that overlooked the breathtaking view of the harbor and the mountains. I was a 5 minute walk from class and the Botanic Gardens across the street were the perfect place for an afternoon walk.

A great program that really throws you right into the middle of a whole new culture.

The Education Abroad Network was the perfect fit for me! The advisers were there every step of the way while I struggled to get my paperwork all in order and push up my GPA. Once I was fully accepted they stepped up even more until I was on the plane ready for my four month adventure. This program though was not hand holding in the least bit. I wanted to experience my travels myself and I was able to do that with TEAN. They included a pre-semester trip to Fiji, which was an amazing opportunity to see small villages and get to be lazy on a sunny beach, but also once we were in the country (I went to New Zealand) they pushed for me to step out of our comfort zones and get into the culture. A five day orientation got me used to the lifestyle before I went out on my own. TEAN was always there to check in though in case I needed something and held small luncheons and dinners for the group to get together again. My best choice of the entire trip was The Education Abroad Network.

Never felt unsafe within the city or camping. I hitch-hiked a bunch as well and never ran into an issue.

Social Life:
Kiwis LOVE to talk people out. Always accept it'll be a good time!

No other program

Before choosing The Education Aboard Network to go through I was looking at a number of different other programs. However, I knew the minute I emailed the office inquiring about which country I should study in and what city would best fit me, TEAN and their representatives responded immediately with detailed information. The people who work at TEAN have been to all of the Universities and countries and will help you through any questions you have. They help you through every step of the process, including making sure you get settled in once you arrive. TEAN's unique 4 day pre trip to Fiji allows you to make friends before arriving so you know people. By the end of my stay in New Zealand all of the kids who went through TEAN with me I considered almost like a family. TEAN looks after their own and will take very good care of anyone who is a part of the team. I highly encourage kids to go through TEAN if looking for an amazing experience.

A + for TEAN

I would encourage anyone looking into studying abroad in New Zealand to go and to go through The Education Abroad Network! My experience with TEAN and in New Zealand were nothing but positive. New Zealand was the perfect place for me to study abroad because it offered so many opportunities! TEAN is a great program because they truly care about each individual student. I had so many questions before I went abroad and TEAN made sure every single one was answered. The staff know what they are doing and are fun to be around. They made me feel extremely comfortable in such a new situation as traveling to another country. The program makes sure you are getting the most out of your experience abroad, I know I left New Zealand with no regrets...except maybe having to leave!

I lived with four other girls from around the world in a flat. We each had our own room and the place had its own washer and dryer! Wifi was included as well. Could not have asked for a better situation!

Administration was nothing but helpful!

Study Abroad Spring 2011 - Sam Hellwege

Studying Abroad was by far the best decision of my life. This in part was due to the fact that I had the best Study Abroad Program with me throughout the entirety of my stay in NZ. Even before we began our travels, TEAN advisors continuously e-mailed and contacted us to make sure that we had everything that we needed to be prepared for our 5 month excursion abroad. As for living in New Zealand and attending Victoria University in Wellington, I couldn't ask for anything more. I was immersed right in the middle of the city yet close to Mount Vic and Oriental Bay in case I wanted to go for a hike or take a dip in the water. Wellington also was a perfect location for traveling to other cities in New Zealand, including both the North and South Island. Throughout my stay I made many memories and met a ton of amazing people that I happily call my friends. I can't thank TEAN enough for everything they gave me and helped me with throughout my time abroad. If it wasn't for them, I absolutely wouldn't have had the same amazing experience that has shaped me for the rest of my life!

TEAN is a great value

I think that TEAN is a great value because they really helped with the little things. Peace of mind is a priceless commodity when in a foreign country.

TEAN was really there every step of the way

TEAN was really there every step of the way and included a lot for the students to get to know each other so they weren't just thrown into a foreign country with no back up. Everything TEAN did for me and the rest of the students was amazing. The orientation leaders were very open and personable to put everyone at ease, the trips and activities were all times I'll never forget and it was with people I'll always remember.