The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: University of Technology - Sydney (UTS)

A true Australian experience

Studying abroad in Sydney with TEAN was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. Studying abroad has always been a dream of mine, but it wouldn't have been made possible without the help I received before, during, and after my life-changing experience from TEAN.

Going abroad to a country unfathomably far away from home, there are an endless amount of logistics to be handled that often seem to overwhelming to do yourself. However, from the moment I landed in Sydney, I never truly felt overwhelmed with handling the logistical component of my abroad experience. From the start, TEAN made sure each and every individual on the program was accounted for and felt comfortable and no questions ever went unanswered. The TEAN staff members located near my university were so willing to help with anything throughout the entire semester, whether it was trying to coordinate something with my university or helping plan a trip I wanted to go on.

One of the things I loved most about studying abroad through TEAN is that I was completely immersed in the Australian academic experience. Instead of only taking classes with mostly American students and teachers (which is what I'm used to at home) I was surrounded by such a diverse group of people in all of my classes. I learned a great deal about Australia, was challenged by different educational practices, and was overall able to experience a system so unique from university in America.

TEAN provides a variety of great housing options while studying abroad. Whether you are someone who is more private or you are looking to live with a bunch of roommates, TEAN does a great job placing you in housing that you will truly be happy at during your semester-long experience.

The University itself provides students with a ton of great resources and organizations that you can get involved in, even as an abroad student. There was a club fair at the beginning of the semester where you could talk to students about all of the different options you could join, which was a great thing to be exposed to so early in the semester. As well, my apartment building hosted a wide variety of activities and events for residents, which was always a great way to people living close by.

While studying in Sydney, not only was I exposed to some of the most picturesque settings in the world, but I was surrounded by people who made the experience so positive. TEAN provided me with so much guidance along the way and made sure that whatever I decided to do with my time in Australia, that I did I wanted to do while having the best time possible.

I learned more about myself during my study abroad experience than I ever thought I would. I learned that the world is so vast, and there is so much to learn, and you can only do that if you put yourself out there. I would say that my biggest takeaway from abroad is to not hesitate, don't question, and don't waste your time - because nothing is more valuable than the minutes you spend traveling and learning about all of the things you have never before encountered in your life.

The Best Experience of my Life

Studying abroad with TEAN in Sydney was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went abroad to learn engineering from a new culture and point of view, however it was so much more than that. I made new friends from all over, I went to many exotic places in and around Australia, and had incredible experiences. By stepping outside of my comfort zone like that, I learned a lot about myself. I learned what kind of direction I wanted to take the rest of my university career.

UTS is a smaller, but more focused university than other Sydney universities. So if that is what you are looking for then this is a great option.

Many of these opportunities came from TEAN who organized trips to parts of Sydney and other cities. I don't think I would have known to do most of what I did without them! They also have people living in Sydney to give me direction or advice whenever I needed it. I definitely recommend them for their organization, excursions, staff, and an overall fantastic experience in Australia!