The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Townsville - James Cook University (JCU)

Studying in Paradise

Studying abroad at JCU was the best decision I've ever made thus far and going through TEAN made the process simple and stress-free. I could email TEAN with any questions and concerns I had about studying abroad and they were very hands on and would always answer as soon as possible before, during, and after going abroad. They help you with booking flights, getting your visa, learning how to get around your host city, and anything else you could possibly need to know. It was very helpful having a Resident Director who worked for TEAN in Townsville because he had studied abroad there before and knew all the ins and outs. TEAN also provides many activities for you to do when you get to your host city. Townsville is quite small and rural, so there aren't many big attractions that you would know of and TEAN did a great job with picking out activities that help you appreciate where you're staying. Some of these included attending a Cowboys rugby game, visiting Reef HQ, and paddle boarding on The Strand. Although Townsville is small, it is a great place to relax and enjoy nature. You can find hiking trails everywhere, especially if you go to Castle Hill or Magnetic Island. TEAN also provides opportunities to travel during semester breaks and weekends. I was lucky enough to participate in their trip to New Zealand which was absolutely perfect. They have other trips to offer as well, but this is the one I took advantage of.
I also wanted to add that living on campus was a great decision because I was immersed in the Australian culture and got to meet a lot of Aussies and other international students. Studying abroad has made me a much more independent and open-minded person. You learn a lot about yourself and what you're capable of when you travel halfway across the world without anyone you're familiar with. From this experience, I gained lifelong friends and unforgettable memories that I will keep with me wherever I go in the future. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone on this trip more times than I can recall, and it had made me realize how valuable this is to help you grow as a person. Overall my experience abroad has provided me with the skills and knowledge necessary to keep traveling and experiencing the world.

A Life Changing Semester

Studying at JCU was the best decision I have ever made. Townsville is a laid back city with beautiful beaches close to campus, so it was perfect for me. Living on campus in George Roberts Hall made my experience so special because I really got to indulge in the culture and make some really amazing Australian friends that I still stay in touch with.

I met other Americans at JCU who did not go through any program to study abroad and they definitely did not have as great of an experience as me. TEAN was super helpful in every step of the process and were always there to answer any questions I had while abroad. They took all the stress out of my experience so I could enjoy it without worry.

If I could restart my semester abroad I wouldn’t change a thing, (except maybe extending my stay!). TEAN truly made my time at James Cook University unforgettable!

The TEAN Experience, Truly Unforgettable

My time in Australia was truly AMAZING, and I hope anyone reading this is as lucky as I am and gets to experience this beautiful country one day! Here, I was able to take classes on coral reefs and australian fauna, which complemented my Environmental Studies Major nicely. Not only did I get to take interesting classes, but I also lived with the locals and got to know Australians on a more personal level and make friends that will last a lifetime!

Athough I will say studying in Townsville, a small city/more rural and quiet area, is not for everyone, it certainly was the right choice for me. From Cowboys League Rugby games, to weekends on Magnetic Island (Maggie for the locals), to field experience on reefs and in the Outback, there was never a dull moment and I truly feel I was able to get the most out of my time in Australia.

TEAN was very helpful both during pre-departure and during my time abroad, and the assistance and programs they conducted for us while we were abroad definitely helped to make my experience unforgettable! Thanks TEAN!

I loved all of my classes while I was abroad. I am an Environmental Studies Major and while abroad, I was able to take Australlian Vertebrate Fauna, Functional Biology of Marine Organisms, and Coral Reef Geomorphology. Although I loved the opportunity to take Australia-specific classes, the academic style in Australia is a little different and it was a but difficult to adjust to at first. Once I sat through a few classes though, I found my classes much easier to adapt to.

I lived on-campus at JCU in the Western Courts. These are demountable buildings containing single rooms with your own bathroom, fridge, and aircon. I did not have a problem with my room and I found it comfortable. The room was a bit small, but there were other common areas for our hall where we could sociaize and study.

I was living with mostly Australians, and most of the friends I made were Australian. I think living on-campus was definitely an advantage in this regard, and now I have lifelong friends that I keep in contact with still!

My questions were always answered in a timely manner, and I never had to question whether or not I still needed to hand in paperwork in order to go abroad. TEAN did a great job with the business end of things, which enabled me to fully enjoy my abroad experience.

JCU

TEAN was so helpful from the very first time I stepped foot into their office and I am still in contact with them every week. I love how easy they made my trip. Everything I needed to know they helped me with! They arranged all of my group flights, accommodation, food and so much more. It was nice to know that while I was in a foreign country, there was a whole network back at my home country that was there for me every step of the way. They made it very easy to adapt to a different way of life.

I suggest anyone and everyone to go abroad because it truly changes you as a person for the better. It really makes you be more independent. I, personally, learned a lot about myself and what is truly important to me. There will never be enough good things I can say about going abroad. It's just one of those decisions you just have to go with, follow your heart and you will never be let down. I promise you will not come home unhappy. I want to go back so bad!

Working with TEAN is the right decision to make and the first decision you have to make when choosing to go abroad :)