The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Thailand and Cambodia Semester

Comparative Program organized by TEAN

I was very fortunate to go abroad with TEAN to both Thailand and Cambodia. TEAN provided an extensive cultural exposure, which I was very satisfied with. They had tons of activities planned for us the week we got to Thailand. There a lot of free trips that are offered by TEAN when you go as well. The first week of orientation was the best. We went to an elephant sanctuary and ate different kinds of traditional meals and received a full 2 hour Thai massage (to get relieved from the flight--TEANS complementary :D) .. I think out of all the programs, Tean was very effective in immersing its students to the culture abroad. We were challenged on a daily basis in different ways. They really care about the students and try to accommodate everyone. The TEAN staff was very well organized, and easily approachable. They made sure that each student was safe through out the program as well. My best trip from TEAN was the Krabi trip (complementary) that we took. It was very well organized. We got to island hop and I loved it.

The Magic of Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia is the perfect destination for a one-of-a-kind study abroad experience! Starting in Thailand you are introduced to the cultures of Southeast Asia; the food, markets, people, places, and customs. We lived in Chiang Mai, the second largest city, located in the mountains of Northern Thailand. You live with a Thai roommate in nice apartment style accommodations. Our roommates became some of our closest friends. The classes are always interesting and incorporate lectures, guest speakers, and field trips to give you the best educational experience possible while overseas. The in country as well as home office staff are wonderful in helping you address any concerns before or during your trip. The program also includes some spectacular excursions to the Southern Thai beaches (famous for being some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!), an elephant sanctuary, and hiking the tallest mountain in Thailand.
After 2 months there you transition to Cambodia, an entirely different culture and atmosphere. This switch gives you the full spectrum of Southeast Asia and shows the diversity of the somewhat smaller region. You live in Phnom Penh and study at Pannasastra University with Khmer students. All classes are taught in English though. I loved being immersed in two countries during one semester and I'm glad that I did it through TEAN. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a diverse and unique study abroad experience and who wants to get out of their comfort zone to try something new!

The Magic of Southeast Asia

My most memorable moments are from my TEAN excursion to Siem Reap, the location of the famous Angkor Wat temple. The trip was a splendid conclusion to my time in Cambodia and included some of the most delicious food I had overseas as well as days of exploring ruins and meandering through the busy markets and streets of Siem Reap.

I had always wanted to go to Cambodia, but I was taking Thai at my home university and needed a program to meet my language requirement. This program was the perfect fit for me allowing me to continue my Thai language studies while being able to spend time and immerse myself in Cambodia as well.

While in Thailand our accommodations were in a student dorm/apartment complex in which we each had a Thai roommate. The rooms were spacious with a private bathroom, two small and fairly enclosed bedrooms, and a small living space with a fridge, sofa, and television. The complex was very clean and comfortable and also had a workout room, study rooms, wifi, and other valuable amenities. In Cambodia I elected to stay at a guesthouse for the duration of my visit. I had my own room and bathroom that were very comfortable, clean, and provided all the resources I needed.

The Magic of Southeast Asia

Overall The Education Abroad Network is a phenomenal program and I would recommend it to any student interested in studying in Southeast Asia. The staff both in country and out are helpful and always on call should you run into any problems. I felt well prepared before my trip and well supported during my time overseas. Not to mention the students on the trip came from all over the US and some internationally making my time in Southeast Asia enlightening, enjoyable, and as comfortable as possible in a foreign country.

The professors that you work with in both Thailand and Cambodia are phenomenal! The classes are interesting and highly relevant when it comes to learning as much as possible about your host country. They are also very fun and incorporate numerous field trips and guest speakers.

The dorms in Thailand are comfortable and highly convenient featuring a laundromat, seven-eleven, ATMs, and a pool! TEAN also arranges for you to have a Thai roommates, which in many cases turned out to be our close friends and wonderful resources while living in our new city.

Between the Thai cooking class and week long village stay, TEAN made sure to introduce you to all aspects of Thai culture. Then, while in Cambodia, we were able to take classes with local students who introduced us to Phnom Penh.

AMAZING!

TEAN did an amazing job coordinating and executing an efficient, safe, comfortable, and exciting stay in both Thailand ad Cambodia. The accommodations, classes/academic atmosphere, and recreational activities/trips were all great. I have no complaints about the experience, and I wouldn't have had wanted it any other way.

Why study abroad in Southeast Asia?

Why study abroad in Southeast Asia? This was the question I kept asking myself as I debated where to study abroad for a semester. Now that I've finished my program, I don't know why I ever considered any other program. This experience was the best thing that I've ever done in my college career. I was fully immersed into a new culture and was able to compare two countries through this program, which I didn't find as an option in any other program. We were also able to visit several villages to be immersed in their culture, which was an amazing experience to be able to visit areas barely touched by western influence. This was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone weighing their options.