The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Semester in Chiang Mai

Can't Wait to Go Back!

Living in Thailand was the most amazing experience of my life. I loved almost every second of my experience, and I wouldn't change a thing about it! I was originally nervous to pick a more unique country like Thailand, because all of my friends were going to English speaking and westernized countries. But going somewhere off the beaten path was the best choice for me! I had an authentic and adventurous experience that I don't think I could have had somewhere so similar to the US like Europe. If you like adventure and immersing yourself in unfamiliar cultures, Thailand will not disappoint you!

Best semester of my life!!

My semester in Chiang Mai was by far one of the best semesters of my life. Not only were the classes fun and information and we got to go on cool field trips but the program as a whole was spectacular. Our TEAN administrator Lauren who lived in Thailand always had fun trips planned for us and was always more than willing to help us plan our own travels. The culture in Thailand was also amazing. Everyone there was so welcoming and loved it whenever I would practice my Thai. I especially loved how our program paired us with a local roommate and we also had classmates from other areas of South East Asia it allowed me to both immerse myself in the Thai culture as well as learn about other South East Asian cultures from my class mates.

Experience of a life time

Choosing to go to Thailand was the best decision I've ever made. I was looking for a place that I hadn't heard anybody else had gone to for a study abroad, and Thailand was the perfect option that pushed me out of my comfort zone, while still feeling comfortable. Choosing TEAN as my program, I wasn't expecting how well they were going to treat us. It was extraordinary how they treated us like family, not just another number in the program. Since we were such a small group of people, they truly cared for each one of us and were concerned with how we adapted to the culture around us. The orientation week hosted by TEAN slowly transitioned us into the lifestyle of Thais, and also helped us to adapt to the time change. We went to various cool and hip cafes around Chiang Mai, went to an Elephant Nature Park for day where we were able to learn about the mistreatment of elephants in SE Asia, and we went to a village home stay for a week where we were fully immersed in a Thai household. Without TEAN, I would not have had the amazing experience that I had while I was there for 4 and a half months.

Happiest 5 Months of my Life

In the 5 months I was abroad in Thailand with TEAN, I have never been happier. TEAN sets you up with a Thai roommate which was a great aspect that not all programs do. We got to learn about the culture through them as well as the classes we were taking in our time abroad. TEAN also organizes a village home-stay, monthly dinners, excursions and a weekend trip to Krabi. Living in the village was another great way to learn about the Thai culture and people although the language barrier was tough. Regardless, I have never felt so welcome and so at home before in my life than I did in the village and in Chiang Mai. I am so lucky I could call Chiang Mai my home and I strongly encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and spend time with TEAN in Southeast Asia. TEAN does everything they can to make you feel comfortable and prepared for your time abroad. From answering emails, and phone calls to sending out packets describing what to bring and what to expect. I am so happy I chose to go to Thailand with TEAN and I have absolutely no regrets about my time abroad.

Best 4.5 Months of my Life.

Prior to studying abroad everyone I talked to told me one of two things, 1) Do it, it was the best experience of my life 2) Do it, not studying abroad is one of my biggest regrets. I always thought people saying that it was the best experience of their life was cliche and cheesy until I actually studied abroad myself and thats the truth. Its one of my top experiences. I absolutely cannot say enough about TEAN and the Chiang Mai program. It was incredible. My entire experience, from meeting TEAN representatives at a study abroad fair, to actually going abroad with them, and even my relationship with them now that Im back was amazing. They were so helpful, and helped us to make the absolute most of our time abroad. They helped me to find volunteer experiences, gave me advice on what to see, where to go, and the best ways to travel in Southeast Asia. I met friends that I have no doubt will be life long friends, we had so much in common because we valued culture, travel, and adventure. When you study abroad the connections you make are incredible. The living situation was great too! I had a Thai roommate which was one of the most valuable parts of studying with TEAN. Living with her allowed me to make Thai friends, get immersed in Thai culture faster, and practice the language. Anyway long story short, my experience was perfect, TEAN was awesome. Chiang Mai is an amazing part of the world.

Is it Time to Go Back Yet??

My experience in Thailand was truly indescribable thanks to The Education Abroad Network. A semester is such a short amount of time in retrospect, but TEAN helped me pack my time in Chiang Mai with the most amazing memories. They were with us right from the start to help us get acclimated to our home away from home with a stress free orientation that included Thai massages and a day with some incredible elephants! Once settled in I had all the independence in the world but still had a support staff to fall back on. The Thai roommate I was matched with showed me the city how only a local really could, and quickly became one of my dearest friends. I took classes on Human Security and Thai politics that helped me understand issues such as human trafficking from an entirely different point of view than what we often see back in the states. My teachers were passionate about their field as well as their students. I had the opportunity the teach English at a military base which was both a challenge and a joy; they taught me more than I could have ever hoped to teach them. TEAN included excursions to places I never would have gotten to on my own like Doi Inthanon or Chiang Rai that were off the beaten track. I never knew how deep The Education Abroad Network could immerse me during my time abroad I wouldn't change a thing. Wait--strike that-- I would change one thing. I wish I would have stayed for a whole year!

The Semester That Now Defines Who I Am

Thailand in itself is absolutely remarkable in every sense possible. Anyone who visits the country will be touched in the depths of their heart and soul and leave (if you ever actually do) inspired, happy, and planning your next trip back. TEAN was a great choice for many reasons, out of all the programs I have learned about TEAN gave the most bang for your buck while also being so down to earth and helpful along the way. They already have a number of excursions built into the price of the semester, so if the price is higher than some of your other options know that your getting hooked up! The staff at TEAN is awesome, our Australian TEAN employee (Lauren) who lived in Chiang Mai and guided us around on a number of occasions was like a mentor on so many levels, she looked out for us while also becoming a great friend to us all. The staff is approachable about anything and are so happy to help you enhance your Thailand experience. Studying in Thailand vs just visiting are 2 complete different experience. I now know so much detail about the countries history, culture, and politics which allows your to have a greater understanding of the country and your experience as a whole. The academics at CMU through TEAN are great and taught by some hilarious Thai professors as well as some Americans. After talking with other Americans studying abroad in Chiang Mai we learned that our program was envied by others because of everything we did. Weigh your options, but know that TEAN is the way to go!

Love at First Sight

During my time in Chiang Mai, I had so many experiences I will never forget. The city and its people were absolutely beautiful, and TEAN’s program allowed me to experience the beauty of Thailand in an incredibly authentic and life-changing way.
After we arrived at the airport, we were brought to a beautiful resort in one of the most iconic parts of the city known as Nimman. From the minute we began to drive through the city, I knew I was in the midst of an amazing adventure. It was love at first sight!
We then proceeded to have the most awesome orientation experience. Our first few days in Thailand were packed with awesome food, beautiful places, and meaningful learning experiences that would help us make sense of the rest of our time there. As a group of TEANers (as I like to call us), we got to know each other in a way that I’ve never known another group of people. From then on, TEAN helped facilitate our experience in the city with a great balance. TEAN and the staff were available to help us, but never suffocated our own ability to have an amazing adventure. The staff was there with great advice on places to go and things to do. TEAN also took us on a spectacular trip to Krabi (an island in the south of Thailand) and on an unforgettable hiking excursion to Doi Inthanon. Overall, I can say only awesome things about my experiences with TEAN in Chiang Mai!

By far the best decision I have made

My most memorable experience on the trip was being able to sit down and talk with the monks. Monks in Thailand sit higher than even the King, so they were instantly a huge point of interest for me. Not to mention, you always see them walking around but they mostly keep to themselves so they are quite mysterious. However, on one of our field trips we took a trip to the Wat Suan Dok temple specifically to talk to the monks. It was scary at first because their rank is quite intimidating; however, they are some of the most humble, down to earth, and open people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. After the talk, we were able to have lunch with them and before we ate they all chanted a prayer for us and wished blessings upon us and it was one of the most humbling experiences.

For years I had always wanted to visit Thailand; however, my school did not offer any programs in Thailand. The Education Abroad Network was one the first and one of the only programs I could find that allowed me to travel to Thailand. Once I learned that the program allowed you to live in the historical city of Chiang Mai, allowed you to live among other students and with a Thai roommate, and allowed a 1 week break to explore Thailand or neighboring countries I was sold.

Myself and everyone on my trip lived in the UniLofts, which was off campus student housing. Our rooms where apartment style dorms, so myself and my roommate each had our own rooms. I loved staying in UniLoft because it was comfortable, in an awesome location (in walking distance from CMU, surrounded by great places to eat, and just a small drive from the Old City where all the fun happens) and the grounds included a laundry mat, dry cleaners, computer lab, 7/11 (which is where people in Thailand get everything from) and two pools.

I cannot say enough good things

My most memorable experience was the TEAN trip to Krabi, in the southern Thai islands. I had never seen such natural beauty before in my life, and we went snorkeling, laid on the beach, rock climbed and ate amazing food!

I chose to study abroad in Chiang Mai with TEAN because of how organized the program seemed to be, and how quickly the TEAN staff responded to any of my questions about Thailand as I was preparing for the semester. It also was the most affordable program, while still including excursions and other fun things.

The accommodation was great. We lived in the Uniloft dormitory, which was in a very central location to everything and just a short 15 minute walk to our classes on Chiang Mai University's beautiful campus. Some of us were paired with another Thai college student as our roommate and others were paired with other international study abroad students.

With the most cultural immersion opportunities available

5 days into the program, we were sent to a local village to experience how 80% of Thailand lives. We stayed with host families, planted rice, taught at a local school, and experienced the happiness that comes from the simple life. I was very nervous for this 5 day excursion, but it ended up being my favorite part of the whole program!

I chose TEAN because it had the most cultural immersion opportunities available. I was able to live with a Thai roommate, volunteer with at a school, and go on excursions that supplemented my learning so well.While deciding on a program, TEAN staff was extremely helpful and friendly and went above and beyond answering any question I had for them.

Uniloft is an apartment building just outside of the CMU back gates. It houses 99% students. There are separate buildings for boys and girls and a common area for studying, a gym, a dance room, laundry facilities, restaurants, and a 7/11. Each room consisted of a living room with a TV and fridge and two bedrooms that had built in desks. We had our own bathrooms, walk in closets, and a balcony. We lived with Thai roommates, but the floor we lived on with filled with other American students and their Thai roommates.

The Best Decision I Have Ever Made

Going abroad with TEAN to Chiang Mai completely changed my life. If I could stay there forever, I would have. TEAN 's program perfectly combined all of the components that make a study abroad experience. Classes were engaging and taught me useful information and skills that helped me get more from my time in Thailand. Our living situation was perfect- living in new apartments with Thai roommates completely made my experience. From the Thai's, I learned a new way of life and a new path to happiness. My mind was opened to the diversity that fills our world and I learned not to judge a culture before experiencing it. My mind was also opened by the amazing excursions that TEAN brought us on. From the gorgeous islands to the historically rich north to the bustling world of Bangkok, TEAN supplemented my learning perfectly with educational and fun field trips. In Bangkok, our teachers set up meetings with the former prime minister and the current head of the senate, an opportunity most Thai students never even have.
Volunteering through TEAN was another one of my favorite parts of the program. TEAN helped me secure placements in both a local school and Burmese refugee center teaching English. Volunteering was another way for my to engage directly with Thai culture and I was able to see a different side than the Thai university student.

I am grateful for every second abroad because of how it changed my perspective and attitude towards life. I had the most exciting, relaxing, and rewarding 5 months of my life and I owe all of that to TEAN.

Our TEAN staff was amazing! I saw them as my cool psedo-parents who were there whenever I needed anything. They were so helpful with everything from helping us when we were sick to showing us cool things to do around the city. I felt safe and comfortable going to them with any concern I had.

I don't think I could have been more integrated! TEAN provided me with a Thai roommate and Thai friends who enriched our experience so much more. Also TEAN offered volunteer placements which allowed me to interact with Thai people not attending the university.

I adored living with a Thai roommate and still had American friends in my hallway for support. Uniloft was incredibly nice and clean and had all the amenities I needed.

Amazing professors and class content. I was able to learn so much valuable information about Thai history and culture that enhanced my experience abroad. I learned a lot from the courses but was never swamped with work. We went ons several academic excursions where we were able to see amazing things we learned about and meet very important people! Our professors had incredible connections and used them to enrich our learning experience.

Go to a Chiang Mai Football Club game! Take a day to walk around the old city and explore temples. Eat authentic Burmese cuisine at The Swan. Listen to great music at Boy Blues Bar. Visit Sticky Falls outside of the city. Go to local markets.

The Best Decision I've Ever Made

I cannot say enough good things about my time in Chiang Mai, Thailand with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN). The program offered incredible, constant support throughout the semester, provided us with a nice, clean, centrally-located living facility with Thai and International roommates, and someone was always available to answer any of our questions. The TEAN excursions are amazing, and the program also offers flexibility for taking trips to other parts of Southeast Asia or Thailand on your own or with friends. Living in Chiang Mai was truly the best five months of my life, and I cannot wait to return! The local Thai people could not be nicer, and there is also a cool expat community of westerners who live in Chiang Mai as well. Getting around the city is easy and everyone is so friendly that exploring Chiang Mai was never a problem, and I loved finding all my favorite spots - coffee shops, restaurants, bars, places to go dancing, places to meditate and hike, etc. Living in Chiang Mai also provides such an amazing perspective on different parts of the world, different cultures and religions and spiritualities, and truly opened my eyes and my heart to an entirely new place and entirely new people. If you are considering studying abroad in Southeast Asia, you should absolutely do so in Chiang Mai through TEAN!

Experience of a Lifetime

Just as the title says, this was an experience of a lifetime. I was scared to go abroad because I had previously never been out the country; however, my program helped me to have one of the best experiences of my life. The Education Abroad Network really made sure to have all basis covered by providing us with on site staff, Thai roommates, an awesome place to live (The UniLoft's) and rigorous but rewarding classes. I had class every day for 3 hours a day but I never felt overwhelmed or exhausted. Especially since a lot of class time was spent taking field trips to learn about Thailand by actually immersing ourselves in it rather than just reading about it. Not to mention, Chiang Mai was the absolute perfect city. It's a mix of old and new, so although it appears pretty modern, a lot of its history and traditions shine through strongly. It's the perfect place for someone who wants to learn and experience the real side of Thailand (not just touristy Thailand) but also live it up. There are over 200 temples in Chiang Mai plus museums, both art (make sure you go to the Art in Paradise museum!) and historical, but there are also really great clubs (make sure you go to Zoe's!), stores, and restaurants (Penny's on Suthep Road is a favorite). Also for nature people like me, there are beautiful waterfalls ( go to Bua Tong!), mountains, and hikes around almost every corner. If I could move to Chiang Mai, Thailand tomorrow, I would with no hesitation.

Unforgettable Experience

Taking this study abroad trip was by far the best decision I have made during my college experience (and possibly life). The Education Abroad Network made sure we got the most out of our experiences by providing us with clean and comfortable living, Thai roommates, awesome courses and even better professors. As a business major, I wanted to learn more about the globalized world, and what better way to do that then studying business in Thailand? The one business class I took abroad taught me more than any business course I ever took at my home university because it was expansive and realistic. We weren't just learning about textbook definitions and equations, we were out in the country experiencing it. Beyond just business, I learned so much about the country and myself. My most important takeaway is that I learned that the world is a lot bigger than my backyard. There are hundreds of thousands of other cultures, people, ideas and opportunities waiting for you when you leave your comfort zone and this study abroad trip helped me realize this. I feel like I was given a gift that has helped me grow and learn into a person I couldn't have previously imagined!

The Best 5 Months of My Life

I cannot say enough good things about my time in Chiang Mai, Thailand with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN). The program offered wonderful support throughout the semester, provided us with a nice, clean living facility with Thai roommates, and someone was always available to answer any of our questions. TEAN hosts several excursions and events throughout the semester, all of which are amazing, and the program also works well for taking trips to other parts of Southeast Asia or Thailand on your own or with friends. Living in Chiang Mai was truly the best five months of my life, and I cannot wait to return! The local Thai people could not be nicer, and there is also a cool expat community of westerners who live in Chiang Mai as well. Getting around the city is easy and everyone is so friendly that exploring Chiang Mai was never a problem, and I loved finding all my favorite spots - coffee shops, restaurants, bars, places to go dancing, places to meditate and hike, etc. Living in Chiang Mai also provides such an amazing perspective on different parts of the world, different cultures and religions and spiritualities, and truly opened my eyes and my heart to an entirely new place and entirely new people. If you are considering studying abroad in Southeast Asia, I highly recommend doing so in Chiang Mai through TEAN!!

Very welcoming and honest

I had the opportunity to study abroad in both Vietnam and Thailand, so seeing the differences between the two countries as a student was something not offered in most study abroad programs.

The Education Abroad Network was very welcoming and honest when it came to any question I asked. Also, as a gay male, they were extremely open in discussing the issues I had going abroad and being out. Again, this is a sentiment I feel unique to this program compared to the others I looked at.

In Chiang Mai, Thailand, I lived with a Thai roommate right next to the University. The city was calm, and not far away from an exciting nightlife or scenic nature routes.

In Saigon, Vietnam, I lived in an apartment in the center of the large city. The University was a bit farther away, but I had many accommodations within minutes of each other.

The perfect decision to make during my college experience.

My study abroad experience was something I feel cannot be replicated with any type of institution/program. TEAN provided excellent service that allowed other students and myself a semester of a lifetime. While going to Southeast Asia was intimidating at first, my time there has only opened doors in my willingness to try new things and be adventurous in my life.

Forever Chiang Mai

My most memorable experience was having my 21st birthday at a beach resort in the south of Thailand. Sun, sand, island boat tours and lots of fun.

I wanted to go somewhere that was different than what I am used to in aspects of culture but I also wanted somewhere that the shock wouldn't be too much, seeing as this was my first time traveling abroad.

The apartment I stayed in was safe, close to school, modern, clean and just overall very nice. I loved living with a Thai roommate. It was a very nice setup for an easy transition.

TEAN had everything I wanted out of a study abroad program

I seriously don't even know how to choose because every experience I had there was amazing but if I had to narrow it down I'd say Pai. One thing to understand about where Chiang Mai is is it's in the heart of northern Thailand. Therefore, traveling to other places is sometimes difficult. We usually had to take an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and from there fly or take a bus to wherever our destination was. But when you have the constraints of class to hold you down, it gets tough to leave. That is why Pai is the greatest hidden gem of northern Thailand. About 3-4 hours north of Chiang Mai, Pai is a little hippy town where laying in a hammock all day overlooking rice fields while exchanging stories with people from all over the world is absolutely the norm. Previous to this experience, I assumed, like most westerners, that after graduating college the only thing to do was to get a job. But suddenly, I was surrounded by people from vastly different countries all telling me that there is more to life than just that. That it is perfectly fine to want to travel and see the world instead. That a 9-5 job isn't the only future. I'm graduating in the spring and since that day in Pai I've viewed my future in a whole new light. And on top of all of that, Pai is seriously some of the most fun you'll ever have.

TEAN had everything I wanted out of a study abroad program. I loved the idea of living with a Thai roommate because I wanted to be able to immerse myself in the culture as much as possible. I loved that we got to spend a week in rural village, seeing and first hand experiencing the way another culture truly lives. TEAN provided us with ample volunteer opportunities which we all took advantage of. I volunteered at The Burma Study Center photographing Burmese refugees while a friend in my program interviewed them about their lives and experiences migrating from Burma. It was an unbelievable experience, one that I think about often and am so grateful that TEAN provided us with the tools to give back. I loved that TEAN had on the ground staff to help us if we needed anything and arranged awesome excursions for us for no extra cost! (We went to Krabi, which is a beautiful island in the south of Thailand and hiked Doi Inthanon). All in all, I think TEAN is an amazing program that offers not only support but makes sure that your study abroad experience is one for the books!

TEAN provided us with housing in Uniloft, a dorm/apartment style building complex about a mile or so from the University. The rooms are set up so that you and your roommate have separate bedrooms but share a communal living room and bathroom. Uniloft has a gym, a pool, laundry services, cleaning services and round the clock security. There's a common study room where everyone hangs out to do work, watch movies and chat. It's not too far from the center of the city but far enough that you don't see many westerners around, which I loved. The neighborhood is full of awesome hole in the wall restaurants with the sweetest people working in them.

Chiang Mai Forever

Chiang Mai is such an amazing place to be. It has enough within it to satisfy any and all food/bar/social needs but is also not too big where it becomes unmanageable. I ate incredible food, saw some breathtaking mountains and temples and made life long friends and memories. The academics helped me to understand more about the country I was living in and the administrators in my program were always available, friendly and helpful. I lived with a thai roommate which was an amazingly enriching experience and it caused me to make some great friends within the group of thai roommates as well as help to broaden my way of thinking. I honestly loved every moment in Thailand, it was such an amazing adventure and a truly life changing experience.

Chiang Mai Forever

Chiang Mai is an amazing place to be. The people are so friendly, the food is sooo good and there is so much to do. TEAN's academic aspect is great. the work is not difficult, but it really helps you to understand this new and different place that you are in. Living with Thai roommates is so rewarding. I had so many amazing times with the friends I've made that I will remember forever. Everyone in the program is so helpful. They are always there to answer questions, to sit down and chat and to teach you new things. If I had to do it again, I would repeat exactly what I have done.

The Most Epic 5 Months Ever.

My heart seriously aches to be back in Chiang Mai. Every day I think about the amazing experiences I had, the fabulous people I met and the way my life is forever changed for the better. Previous to boarding the plane to Thailand, I had never been to Asia before. Honestly, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Little did I know that Chiang Mai would steal my heart. Studying abroad in a "developing country" teaches you how to go with the flow, let go of westernized ideals and enjoy simplicity. The landscapes are arguably the most beautiful I've ever seen. Ancient temples line the streets next to restaurants and stores. At the right time of year, the rice fields are the greenest greens you'll ever see. I met the most amazing and fascinating people from all over the world, whose perspectives on life shaped the way I now view the world. Through TEAN, we got to spend a week in a rural village in northern Thailand called Baan Ton Chok, which was truly life changing. It was only our second week there so we hadn't learned much Thai and lacked any form of communication except hand signals. Nevertheless, by the last night, we were dancing and singing around a fire with our host families, crying about leaving in the morning. That experience not only taught me to appreciate all that I have but to see that you don't need much to lead a happy and healthy life. Not only did I study abroad in Thailand, I traveled to Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia (and Laos for one hour!). I learned, contrary to popular western belief, each Asian culture is starkly different. They each speak different languages, use different currencies, have different traditions. But the one thing I found consistent through them all is how kind, generous and funny they all were. The transition of returning stateside has been 100 times harder than getting accustomed in Asia. Every day I'm researching and planning ways I can permanently move my life over there. There's a magical energy throughout that part of the world. If there is any advice I can give, it would be to break out of your comfort zone and go for it. You won't regret it!

Take me back!

I think my most memorable experience was the village homestay. Each of us was paired with another member of our program and a family from the village. They set up rooms for us to share and we spent every day with these incredible people. There was obviously a language barrier between us, but they treated us like family and it was an amazing opportunity to communicate and share with people from an entirely different culture. I will never forget driving away with the care package from my homestay parents and seeing our mother crying as we drove out of the village.

I chose The Education Abroad Network because of the all the opportunities they provide for students. Working with them was a very personal experience, they don't take on too many students in order to really provide the best for those in their programs, everything from the application to in country connections. I loved that they offered opportunities for students to volunteer in the local communities and that their orientation program was so extensive. I would 100% choose to work with TEAN again.

I lived in a modern apartment, shared with a local student. 2 bedrooms with a shared bath, individual closets, and a common room. All the furniture was provided,

Take Me Back

Choosing The Education Abroad Network program in Chiang Mai was one of my best decisions. This was my second time abroad and I don't think I could have picked a better program for me. I hope to continue my education in the field of International Development and while in Chiang Mai I had incredible opportunities to meet with local NGOs, members of parliament, and UN representatives to hear their stories and wise words of advice. I attended fantastic local events like Loi Krathong, the lantern festival, which was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever witnessed. We experienced a homestay with local Thai families and got a real feel of traditional culture. I was able to volunteer teaching English and working with mentally handicapped artists. One of the best parts of studying abroad is to witness what you learn in class outside the classroom and what better place than Southeast Asia. If you are looking for something different, an adventure, Chiang Mai is the place for you!