The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Melbourne - RMIT University

Marvelous Melbourne

Melbourne is a great city, but it would have been impossible to experience the best parts of the city without TEAN. TEAN pointed me in the correct direction and advised me what the best places to visit were. There are countless experiences to have while overseas and each one is worthwhile, but not all are possible to do. With TEAN's help I was able to have all the great experiences I was hoping for. I would go back and complete the program again if I could. I am very grateful for my experience.

An excellent experience I wish I could relive.

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction with my time abroad and I believe that The Education Abroad Network was a big part of that. They helped me throughout my study abroad journey, from my application process to my travel plans after my semester had ended. If not for TEAN I probably would have found a way to screw up my enrollment and I certainly would have had much more work to do in that regard. They also provide options for traveling with options for stopovers on your way to and from Australia. Once you arrive in Australia, TEAN gives you a three-day orientation in Sydney for a preview of what your semester will be like. But orientation isn't just boring talks, TEAN also has plenty of excellent activities planned, but not to the point where it feels like a school field trip; you have plenty of freedom to do what you like. For me orientation was a great time and provided an excellent start to my time in Australia.

After orientation, my TEAN Resident Director was waiting for me and the rest of the TEAN-Melbourne students at the airport with transportation for us to our new home for the nest few months. On the ride there, we were thoroughly briefed on resources provided by our RD and how to take advantage of them if needed. RMIT also provides its own orientation for international students which is redundant, but a good opportunity to meet people from other countries. They also include an optional dinner cruise at the end of orientation which I recommend.

Throughout the semester TEAN provides cultural activities to encourage you to go out and experience life in Melbourne as the locals do. I participated in all and had a great time with each. For our three activities we took a guided yet non-touristy walking tour of the city early on to get us acquainted, we went to see a famous Australian comedian perform at the Melbourne Comedy Festival, and we went to see an Australian Rules Football game. In the middle of the semester, TEAN also has optional excursions they plan throughout the semester where you can meet TEAN participants studying in other parts of Australia or meet up with friends you made during orientation. There are also week-long excursions offered during the semester break. The semester I was abroad, there was an excursion to New Zealand's South Island and one to Thailand offered. RMIT's semester break is a little weird, starting and ending in the middle of the week, so there is the potential for scheduling conflicts with class and your travels for the semester break excursion, but several of the TEAN students at RMIT with me that semester where able to participate with no problems at all.

My classes during the semester were relatively easy, especially compared to my previous semesters' workloads. I had plenty of time to relax, explore Melbourne and the surrounding area, and travel. The only work I had outside of class were two lab reports and one research project. I had two midterms and a final exam for all four of my courses.

Melbourne itself is a great place to live. There is no lack of things to do and if you wanted to, you could probably go out every night and never visit the same place twice. Public transportation is run very well and easy to use, which makes it very easy to visit the suburbs of Melbourne. There are also tons of great restaurants in the city offering a broad spectrum of cuisines from around the world.

I could go on and on about everything I did, but I tried to keep it short so you didn't stop reading halfway through. If you still want more detail about the opportunities provided by TEAN and RMIT, I kept a blog that I think provides a much more thorough review here: http://theantipode.tumblr.com/

I took all elective so class work was never to demanding and all credit transferred to my home university. All academic facilities I used were great and RMIT offers a great selection of classes, though several are not offered every semester which why I can't rate academics an A+

TEAN provided excellent living an arrangement. i lived in a serviced apartment. The apartment was excellent and provided a great view of the city. Location was also fantastic as it was right in the heart of the city and everything I needed was within short walking distance

Opportunities for cultural immersion are everywhere. How much immersion you get really just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. If you are looking for more immersion, I believe a good suggestion would be to NOT take any courses about Australia that are aimed at international students. That might seem backward, but there wont be any Australian's taking that class, it'll be mostly other American students.

TEAN does an outstanding job helping you with whatever problems you might have. They are incredibly quick to respond to your problems and get you on the right track. They also take care of a lot of work when it comes to your enrollment abroad which really helps make the process less stressful. TEAN also provides opportunities you otherwise might not have during your time abroad such as their pre-semester orientation, excursions, and semester cultural activities.

Trouble will find you if you go looking for it, but otherwise Melbourne was incredibly safe and I personally never had any problems.

An Unforgettable Semester

Going to Melbourne changed my life. The Education Abroad Network was there from day one to help me every step along the way. The classes were challenging but there was plenty of resources available for when I needed help. The professors were all very friendly and helpful. The local team member Rob was amazing.He knows everything there is to know about Melbourne and was always available to answer questions when I had them. My roommate and I always looked forward to meeting up with him. We always had a good time and laughed constantly. Rob in very genuine and made my experience better than it could have possibly been with out him.

Housing
Our housing location was great. It was right in the city and only about a 10 minuet walk to campus. The room was brand new when we got it and the building was really nice. We had everything we needed, a kitchen, shower, and on sight laundry facilities.\

Health and Safety
I did not ever feel unsafe in Melbourne, even when I was walking home alone in the dark. It was a very safe place. As for health, as soon as we had an issue we contacted Rob who gave us help immediately.

Food
Melbourne has AMAZING food. You could go out to eat for every meal and still not eat at everyplace. The food was one of the best parts.