The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Dunedin - University of Otago

Still have my "Adventure in Mind"

The University of Otago was a great place to spend a semester, and TEAN was the perfect program through which to do it. I was able to earn credits for my degree while taking classes with local students. The University of Otago has many resources that it encourages all students to use, and there is good support for international students. In fact, the large population of international students was one of my favorite things about the University!

The Education Abroad Network is an organized, helpful, and reputable study abroad provider. All my interactions with TEAN staff have been pleasant. TEAN staff is always willing and able to help! TEAN excursions are a good value for money and tons of fun. I consistently felt encouraged and looked after by my program.

Dunedin is an awesome spot to live. There is an abundance of shops and restaurants to enjoy, neat places to check out, and nature excursions to undertake. I also appreciated Dunedin's close proximity to other areas of New Zealand that I wanted to explore, such as Queenstown, Fiordland, and Mount Cook National Park.

My semester at the University of Otago pushed me to grow emotionally, mentally, and academically. With the support of TEAN, I fostered a better sense of independence and self. I learned to let go of the small things in order to learn the big things. I grew an even greater spirit of adventure, happily surrounded by other students and staff who understood and supported my journey.

The trip of a lifetime

My abroad experience pushed me in more ways than I thought possible. It pushed me physically-whether through skydiving, bungee jumping, or canyoning, mentally- in class and in my attempts to plan trips and navigate a completely new country- and most significantly, emotionally. Having never previously left the country, studying abroad was a huge emotional change for me. Suddenly, I couldn’t just rely on my parents. This forced me to become more resourceful, self-sufficient, and most importantly, it taught me that I was in charge of how my study abroad experience would play out. Thankfully, I had TEAN to help guide, nudge, and catch me in cases I faltered or simply needed advice or direction. TEAN provided plenty of organized activities to introduce us into the community while still giving us enough space to explore the country how we wanted to! They were always available to help this new traveler get the most out of her experience whether through a phone call, email, or meet up with my location's TEAN advisor.

An adventure to remember

I think about this trip constantly. It was a trip that was beyond words and I grew so much from it. The Kiwis are a very nice people and will do anything to help. The Education Abroad Network did a great job of being very supportive if we ever needed anything. Traveling around New Zealand was always an adventure and was completely amazing. I would love to go back soon! I'm thinking about going to graduate school at Otago because it was such a lovely experience and the teachers were all amazing as well.

The Best Five Months of My Life

My experience studying at The University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand was a more enriching, thrilling, and overall life-changing experience than I ever could have imagined. I embraced the affable, genuine Kiwi culture, while also growing as an individual as I learned to live on the opposite side of the world. My flatting situation could not have been better, my friendships could not have been stronger and the scenery of New Zealand could not have been more breathtaking. I left New Zealand heartbroken to say goodbye, but also more fulfilled than ever by having my eyes opened to the adventure and excitement of a semester abroad. This experience was absolutely worthwhile, and I encourage anyone considering studying abroad to take the leap and go for it, because it will change your life in so many positive ways!

This incredible experience, however, could not have been possible without the help provided by The Education Abroad Network, whose staff—both at home and abroad—was there every step of the way to facilitate the process. My decision to choose The Education Abroad Network was by the one of the best decisions I made during my study abroad process. The TEAN staff was incredibly accessible, friendly, and knowledgeable. I had countless questions before leaving for New Zealand, and TEAN was there every step of the way. This was not a program hosted through my home University, so my decision to choose TEAN was based all on my own research, and I was confident that TEAN was the best program out there. This program was also the most affordable of all the options I researched-all while including a pre-semester 5 day excursion to Fiji and another week of traveling the North Island. Not only were the American TEAN staff incredibly helpful, but the TEAN members in Dunedin were just as amazing. I lost my phone my first day in Dunedin, and the staff was there right away to take me through the city and get me a new phone. Throughout the semester we had coffee catchups and various other excursions with them. I especially became good friends with our local TEAN guide, and I plan on continuing to keep in touch with her for the years to come! Even after returning home, TEAN has been there to help with the transcript process and the transition of coming home. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone unsure of a program.

STOP THE CLOCK

At some point during your college career, things are going to get crazy. The people, the weekend road trips, final exam crams, and 4 AM fire alarms... ah these are the days! Though, eighteen-year-old me would have never expected my crazy college career to take a part in New Zealand, of all the amazing countries! And like everyone else who has ever been abroad, this has been the best decision of my life (so far).

TEAN provided us with all the information we needed to live like a local in New Zealand during our relaxing time in Fiji and energy filled orientation in Auckland and Roturoa. The University of Otago was an incredible experience. From the lively student life, weekly events, and campus resources, it was easy to adjust to the school and feel appreciated as a student. And Dunedin city had just about everything you needed from local shops and cafes, beaches to soak in some sun or the catch some waves, a killer local farmers market every Saturday morning and so so much more!

And I haven't even started talking about the beautiful country yet, but to keep this short: One magnificent country, two extremely different islands (three counting Stewart Island), 4 million friendly kiwis, 30 million sheep and all the incredible adventures waiting for you to explore. What more can you ask for in a college semester?

The Trip of a Lifetime

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) helped to thoroughly exceed my expectations of what studying abroad would be like. Their orientation process strayed from the norm of ice breaker games and classroom setting information meetings. Instead, all of the students were taken to a tiny island resort in Fiji. This little stint in paradise helped to align friendships that would last throughout the semester.
Once we got to New Zealand, TEAN staff both in the States and in New Zealand helped facilitate student life by helping answer questions, set up social events, and organize group dinners and trips.
Although the South Island is generally sparsely populated, Dunedin is nothing short of a city. With the University of Otago delivering about 40k students to the population, college life is a huge influence on the nature of the city. There are plenty of sightseeing opportunities, restaurants/bars, and shopping centers within a few minutes' walk.
If city life isn't your thing, there are outdoor activities such as tramping, skiing, and biking within a few hours' drive. Enjoy!!!

The Best Four Months

Studying abroad in Dunedin with TEAN was the best four months of my life. Being able to leave home for a semester and see the world was an experience I will never forget. TEAN made this transition so easy: from the group flights, to monthly activities planned, and even giving us some suggestions of where to travel. The South Island was perfect for me because of the endless hiking tracks, ski mountains, camp sites, bungy jumping, and breathtaking scenery around every corner. I also had the opportunity to visit three other countries (Australia, Fiji, and Tonga) and explore the majority of New Zealand all within my semester abroad, which was incredible! Dunedin is very easy to adapt to and make a home, especially with everything TEAN did to help us adjust. I still consider Dunedin my home!

Irreplaceable

It's very difficult for me to put into words how I feel about studying abroad and what it meant to me. Studying abroad in New Zealand is the best experience I have ever had in my life. I would go back in a second if I had the chance. The memories I made in NZ will be with me forever, and I have so many I don't even know where to begin. From hiking to bungee jumping to studying at a world-known university, my time in NZ was truly spectacular. The Education Abroad Network made it so easy and fun to make it to New Zealand. TEAN was helping me every single step of the way. TEAN truly is an amazing program with great staff who really care about the experience you have, no matter where you end up going. Studying abroad was the best life choice I have ever made.

An Adventure Not to be Forgotten

Although I was initially nervous when boarding my first flight to travel as far across the world away from everyone I knew, once I reached New Zealand I was instantly welcomed and made friends the very first day. TEAN put together a great orientation in which we got to be adventurous one day and learn about the Maori culture from an actual Maori lady (instead of doing it in a touristy way). Next was the trip to Fiji. I didn't choose to go through TEAN because Fiji was included, but let me tell you - it's definitely worth it. You don't have internet, cell phone service, or any way to contact the outside world while you are there. Instead, you get to focus on getting to know your future TEANers and exploring the island.
Next, was school. I absolutely loved the University of Otago. It's a much larger university than what I was used to. I never would have thought I would enjoy a school that large. However, the class sizes aren't overwhelming, the professors are great, and the university has a million and one groups, organizations, and clubs to join.
I spent every weekend adventuring, tramping, and exploring the countryside. I made some amazing friends and saw some of the most amazing scenery. I would 100 percent recommend having your home away from home be Dunedin.

This program, university, and country are the best!

I loved this place. I've always wanted to travel to New Zealand, and it did not let me down at all. I loved traveling, hiking, bungy jumping, parasailing, meeting new people, and even my classes at the university. Dunedin is the perfect location for both travel and university life in New Zealand. My program even set up a trip for us to go to Fiji for orientation. Some of the friends in my program, university, and flat I still keep in contact with today, and I consider them some of my best friends.

Trip of a lifetime!

Dunedin, where the University of Otago is located, is a beautiful, college town perfectly suited for students, including international students. Planning my trip there through TEAN was the best decision I feel as though I could have made. Essentially everything was set up for me, including group flights at a discounted price, transportation from the airport, a graduated Otago student living just down the street from uniflats (our lovely apartments) who was our local go-to person if anything happened or we just needed advice. Aside from all that, the orientation to New Zealand was in Auckland. It was such a fun week, and amazing way to get to know the other students, our new home, and live the city life, if only for a few days. After that, we flew to Fiji together, for the trip of a lifetime, and I mean that! I adored Fiji. It was such a relaxing, fun, warm, eye-opening week. I absolutely loved it, and this is where we all really bonded. When the week was over, and we split ways, we had all made friends, and now places to stay and visit all over New Zealand.
The TEAN staff were incredibly helpful, thorough, and happy to answer any questions, throughout the entire experience. Also, the housing assignments were excellent. I believe uniflats and TEAN worked together so well to place people. My flat co-existed very well together, and my kiwi host was awesome! He was just as excited to show us around, as we were to be there. He had a car, and for mid-semester break, we did a "south island tour" camping and splitting the gas money.
Long story short, my experience (that I was unsure about when leaving the states) was so much better than I could have ever imagined. TEAN made it easy, and I'm so grateful I went through their program.

The most incredible semester of my life!

My most memorable experience was a weekend trip a bunch of people in my flat complex took for our friends birthday. We hiked up to a hut in the mountains near Middlemarch and spent the night there. We had the whole hut to ourselves and it was one of the most fun nights I had that semester. It was just a great night with great people and it became one of my fondest memories. A close second would be a seven hour caving trip in Waitomo!

I chose my program initially because of the Fiji excursion at the beginning of the semester. When I began looking my only requirement was that the program went to New Zealand and if I remember right that was about three programs at my schools study abroad fair. So the real decision maker was that trip to Fiji that was included for a program the same price as others that didn't do anything before hand!

While I was studying abroad in Dunedin I was assigned to live in a student flat. I lived in a complex of four student flats, each with four international students and two kiwi hosts. The flat was awesome! It wasn't anything too special in terms of design but everyone within the complex became my home away from home and made the flat a warm and welcoming environment. It was pretty big adjustment to not have central heating, an internet data cap, and hanging the washing outside but those were all minor adjustments that were easy to overcome. Overall I loved my flatting experience and would choose it again in a heartbeat.

A truly life changing experience!

I'm not even sure how to sum up the most incredible semester of my life... but I can begin with the fact that not only did I experience some amazing things, but I was changed personally. Before studying abroad I never imagined myself jumping out of a plane, doing multi day hikes around mountains, abseiling into a cave, or even taking a NZ foreign policy class! For me personally, studying abroad at Otago was a completely different experience since I currently attend an art school that I'm not even sure if they offer political courses or not. I know for sure there's no mountain to hike within walking distance from my apartment!

TEAN was an integral part of my semester because honestly, travelling with a program takes a lot of stress out of the situation and added heaps of experiences I treasure. We went to Fiji and Auckland before the semester even started and then an All Blacks game during the semester. What more can you ask for! The representatives are also extremely helpful and always eager to assist in anything you need. I couldn't have picked a better program to share my adventure with and I wish I could do it all again!

Sweet As

TEAN took us to Fiji, let us jump off the Skytower in Auckland and provided us with numerous advantages just by being a part of the program. The staff was alway eager to help and just a email away at all times. They constantly were updating us on things to do in Dunedin and around New Zealand in general and really cared! I knew that New Zealand was going to be one of the most amazing experiences in my entire life and TEAN really helped me achieve that.

I couldn't see myself going anywhere else!

Choosing to study in New Zealand is a unique experience that few can say they truly understand. I had no desire to study in any countries of Europe- I wanted to go even farther away to somewhere beautiful in both scenery and culture. While in the process of choosing my city to study at I considered what kind of environment in which I wanted to be. TEAN explained to me that if I want to see beautiful natural landscapes of fragile ecosystems then the south island is for me. I researched the University of Otago in Dunedin and immediately decided on it! I have never had the experience of a college town so I had my heart set on it. There are hikes to do around the city and some of New Zealand's most beautiful natural parks are just a couple hours drive away. TEAN is a wonderful study abroad program and I urge you to contact someone from the program! They are so kind and helpful over email, phone or facebook message. And definitely like their facebook page to receive updates. In hindsight, I am so glad I chose to study with TEAN because not only did they guide me through the application process but they brought all the New Zealand students on an incredible orientation in Fiji and Auckland that I will never forget. Make all of this possible by taking the first step! Talk to your international studies office and contact someone from TEAN! They will be very glad you called and will help with any question you have. Study abroad and have the time of your life!

Choosing TEAN was one of the best choices I made in planning my study abroad!

In my opinion, TEAN is an excellent choice in choosing a program. TEAN considers each and every student as an individual case. I was not just another applicant; I knew many of the employees on a personal level which was a great support system when I was in New Zealand. They are with you for the whole experience, not just the application process. During the planning of my study abroad, they were wonderful at guiding me through the process of choosing classes, applying for a visa, and the many other tasks that are involved in the planning process.
The Fiji excursion was an amazing experience, as well as, the orientation in Auckland, NZ. Both of these trips gave our group an opportunity to really get to know each other. Therefore, when we split up for our individual universities, we already had some friends on our campus starting out.
Once the semester started, TEAN was still a support. Near mid-semester, a few of the TEAN employees and some of the Otago TEANers got together for a day trip to Oamaru. During this excursion, we also checked out a beach, saw yellow-eyed penguins, Moeraki Boulders, etc. It was an amazing day!
Overall, TEAN is great. They value quality in their work and really care about their students. I never felt without support while in NZ and I thank TEAN for that.

The academics at University of Otago were excellent. I was able to transfer every class back to my home university for credit. In addition, each class had a New Zealand perspective to it which was really interesting.

I lived with Kiwis and other international students. It was a great pool of cultures and offers an opportunity to make friends right away when you arrive.

TEAN was an amazing support system. Arriving in a foreign, unfamiliar place at first can be overwhelming. Whenever I had questions or problems during my stay, TEAN was right there with me to help me through whatever conflicts arose.

Best life decision ever

TEAN surpassed any expectations I had for studying abroad. Not only was New Zealand incredible, but the program was amazing. From the beginning, they were so helpful with applications and paperwork. When I missed my flight, they were there for me every step of the way. They brought us on incredible excursions, and my experience would not have been the same without them. When I got to New Zealand, everyone was jealous of how much traveling I'd already done!!

University of Otago

I was fortunate enough to spend my spring semester in Dunedin with several other students from the Education Abroad Network. I felt at home in Dunedin by the end of my 4 months there, and really came to love the entire country of New Zealand. I was happy with my decision to live on the South Island because there is so much to see there, and most sights are pretty accessible by bus or car. I was never bored, always looking forward to something, and really fostered my love for all things outdoors while I was there. TEAN did a great job at introducing us to New Zealand and everything it has to offer, and was supportive throughout the application process and any help that we needed throughout the semester.