The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Christchurch - University of Canterbury

Best four months of my life!

Worthwhile is an understatement when describing my time abroad. Although it may sound cliche, I absolutely feel like I grew and changed as a person during my time abroad. I came back to the US more confident, cultured, and with a new outlook on life. Traveling through TEAN allowed me to make friends, see incredible sights, and make unforgettable memories. If I could do it all over again, I would choose TEAN every time.

Endless Outdoor Adventure

Do to New Zealand's unique and extremely far location I knew that I wanted a large period of time to experience all aspects of this incredible country. TEAN made traveling to a place so far away and so unique an easy transition through our Fiji orientation where I met incredible people from all over the US soon to become lifelong friends. Our orientation leaders were amazing, kind, and helpful people who prepared us in every way possible for the following 5 months in New Zealand making the transition effortless. TEAN orients everyone studying in New Zealand together which allowed me to make friends all over the country who I then visited during my experience, making travel a lot more accessible. As prepared as I was, really getting out into the country and experiencing the outdoors first hand allowed me to appreciate nature further and advance my outdoor education. But along with all the traveling I was able to accomplish, living in Christchurch provided me with a unique experience. Christchurch is deep in the recovery of a devastating earthquake an eye opening sight that my professors were able to incorporate into their lectures by giving real life New Zealand examples to the theories we were learning in class. It made my studying part of being abroad that much more special and close to the place to which I was learning. Living in Christchurch allowed me to hike almost every weekend and living in Ilam helped me meet people from all over the world. Studying in Christchurch in the South Island not only opened me up to an endless amount of outdoor opportunities but also allowed me to experience a wealth of beautiful geography from glaciers to fiords to numerous national parks. Studying abroad in New Zealand has changed my perspective on the different cultures we have in our world and has inspired me to find adventure where every I am in the world.

Crusading Christchurch

I absolutely loved everything about New Zealand. TEAN does an amazing job helping students to accomplish their dreams of studying abroad. The pre-semester excursions were a huge upsell to this program compared to others. Out of all the students I talked to from other programs, I can confidently say that I would choose TEAN again and again with no regrets.

A New Adventure!

I had a great time while I was at University of Canterbury. It was great being able to work with people that are passionate in their field of study. I had a great time interacting with many people from New Zealand and around the world. I did so many things in such a short amount of time.

Great Program! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Before I even left for New Zealand, I was already impressed with The Education Abroad Network. I was amazed at how organized and efficient they were and at how smoothly the whole process of becoming ready to study abroad with TEAN was. Once I left for New Zealand, I continued to have a great experience with this program as well. I think that this program does a good job of making the whole experience a comprehensive one in that they've been able to successfully combine culture, academics, friendships, adventure, and a lot of fun into one program.
The pre-semester excursion to Fiji was such a blast! With TEAN, you're lucky enough to be able to enjoy a couple days chilling on the beach meeting great friends, snorkeling, and talking to locals and walking through the local village all before travelling to Auckland for a program orientation and then travelling to your school. I met a lot of friends because of this aspect of TEAN and it made the rest of my study abroad experience that much more enjoyable because I had people to travel with or meet up with when I travelled to various other cities in New Zealand.
Another Fantastic aspect of TEAN was the option to travel to Thailand for a mid-semester excursion. I was so glad that I took this opportunity and I would definitely recommend this trip to any future TEAN participant. I think that the Thailand trip is an opportunity that you wouldn't be able to have with many other study abroad programs. I truly felt that The Education Abroad Network was a unique program that afforded me travel as well as various cultural opportunities that I wouldn't have been able to do if I wasn't a part of this program.
I had a wonderful experience at the University of Canterbury more specifically as well. I was placed in a nice, modern apartment with four kiwi flat mates who I still talk to occasionally. I had a couple fantastic professors at UC too. One standout class that I think is an excellent choice for international students to take to get a feel for Christchurch would be CHCH 101 with Billy O'Steen. I thoroughly enjoyed that class. Overall, I liked the University of Canterbury. The staff there was good and my time there went very smoothly. I especially enjoyed Christchurch; It's quite a unique and intriguing city with a lot of creative people who are working to brighten up the city during its rebuild.
TEAN NZ at Christchurch is a wonderful program and I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in studying abroad.

Adventure in New Zealand!

I was nervous about studying abroad, but TEAN helped me jump right in by introducing us to great adventures right from the start. The orientation was awesome, both in Fiji and New Zealand. I didn't really know what to do with all my downtime after the program ended before the semester started, but once the semester got going I started to get to know people and go on trips. There's a big drinking culture on campus, and I'm not into partying, so I didn't meet a lot of people that way. Instead, I joined a tramping (hiking) club through my church, which gave me the opportunity to meet people and see the country at the same time. Bookme.co.nz is a great way to get discounts on fun things to do. Also, make sure you take extra time after the semester ends to explore without worrying about homework.

Finding a new home in a beautiful place!

I was nervous about studying abroad, but my program did a great job of getting me pumped up about being there. We dove right in on the adventures. New Zealand is an amazing place to study. The lecturers at the University of Canterbury were enthusiastic, and the classes were very interesting. I don't party or drink, which limited my social interaction (since New Zealand universities have a big party culture), but I made friends with a lot of people from my local church. I joined the church tramping club and went hiking all over, which gave me the confidence to go on my own trips later on. Overall, it was an amazing experience. I learned a lot about myself and became much more confident.

Memorable NZ!

My most memorable experience abroad would probably be travelling during the two week spring break. A couple of friends and I travelled down to Queenstown in the Southern Alps and got to see so many amazing sights along the way. While down there we got to go hiking, luging, and even took a horseback ridging tour through the mountains.

When choosing a program to study abroad with, I chose to go through The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) because they offered so many locations in New Zealand and Australia to choose from and also had a program orientation that I found very helpful in making the transition to New Zealand more than just the half-day university orientation.

While in New Zealand, I lived in Ilam Student Accomodation, which was a group of apartment buildings across the street from the University. The flats were above my expectations, with each one having its own kitchen, laundry, living room, etc, it felt much more like just living in a house than “dorm-style” like back in America. I was placed in a flat with 3 students from New Zealand and 2 other Americans. Living with students from New Zealand was definitely one of the best parts of my living abroad because I got more exposure to subtle cultural differences that I would not have noticed otherwise and they were very helpful in showing myself and the other Americans around the area and giving us a hand when we were lost or confused. They also introduced us to a bunch of other New Zealanders, which was great because it offered the chance to immerse more in local culture and activities as opposed to only hanging out with other American abroad students.

An Amazing Experience Abroad!

I learned so much while I was abroad and I am so thankful to have made the decision to go. I got to explore a really fascinating culture that on the surface didn't look too different from my own but surprised me in the subtle differences on many levels. I also was exposed to a new perspective of my own country as seen from abroad and it was eye-opening to see how other people viewed America.

The classes were all challenging but very engaging and interesting. There was not much given for homework, so most of your grade was based on a couple long-term projects and the final exam.

Because half of my flatmates were from New Zealand I got to meet most of their kiwi friends and was able to immerse into the culture more once I had made friends who were from the area.

I had a great experience with the TEAN staff abroad. Whenever I had a question or issue they were very easy to get in touch with and always responded quickly. The staff were all so friendly and certainly made my transition to a different country and my experience abroad very smooth.