The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: China - Semester in Shanghai

Best summer I have ever had!

My experience with TEAN in Shanghai is beyond word. It was the best decision I have made and it was the best summer I have had. Shanghai is a mega metropolis, it is 8 times bigger then New York City. The fun and opportunity to learn and grow in Shanghai is endless. I left Shanghai richer in knowledge and wiser. I made lifelong friends from around the world and built so many connections that I cannot count it all. With 13 other TEAN students, we bonded and grew up together only within a month. We became family, we traveled together, climbed the Great Wall of China, ate local food (which we were told not to), tried every excursion that were available for us. The staffs were purely amazing, friendly, and helpful. Not only they were there to help me with everything (from using the washer to extending my visa), they showed me Shanghai and became my friends as well. I have learned so much about myself, the culture, and most importantly, I have developed strong communication and survival skills. This was my first time in China and not knowing the language was terrifying at first for me; however, TEAN made everything so much smoother and I blended right in.
Fudan University is a great university. The facility is beautiful and very secured. All classes besides the language ones are taught in English, the teachers are very nice and understanding. Although the courses can be a bit intensive, it is worthwhile. The best thing is if you’re there to learn the language, you’re not only learning in class but everywhere you go. You get to practice and apply what you learned immediately which is very effective.
The moment my taxi headed to Pudong Airport, I already miss Fudan’s beautiful campus, my friends, and all of the delicious, cheap food that can only be found in Shanghai. I could go all day about how amazing this trip was but it’s always better to feel it yourself. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I highly recommend this program to everyone, it truly changed my life and I know for sure it will change yours too.

Total immersion into the Great city of Shanghai

I love my time in Shanghai with The Education Abroad Network so much! I had such a hard time leaving. Shanghai is a mega metropolis with so much to do. During our orientation with TEAN we saw a lot of sights and got adapted to use the metro and start using our language skills, so that when the semester at Fudan University began, we had been able to gather some experiences with the Chinese culture. We were able to take a broader range of courses ranging from finances all the way to history. For our Mandarin courses, we had teachers privately hired for the TEAN students, so that our classes were only four or five students strong. An hour a day, we practiced speaking and listening to Chinese, which made the class very applicable for every day use in Shanghai.
Most of the TEAN members in my semester lived off campus, in western style housing which were very comfortable and very modern. Through living together we became very close friends. We explored Shanghai together, did homework together, went out at night and tried many different Chinese cuisines and restaurants together. Our favorites are North- Easter Chinese food, especially cabbage and cauliflower. Maps doufu, a sichuan style dish, was among our favorites as well as Chinese hotpot.
As a group we also grew closer during our excursions to Inner Mongolia and Beijing. These two weekend trips with TEAN were especially fun. I already miss strolling around Fudan's beautiful campus with my friends, taking classes together and finding street food on campus.
I was also very glad for the guidance TEAN gave us. We had an easy time registering with the police, signing up for classes and communicating with our landlord thanks to the residence director, who was a Chinese native, and the assistant resident director who was an American.
I am glad I went with TEAN to Shanghai for my very first time in China and I would do it all again with a hesitation. Thanks - TEAN!

Deep in the East

As a returning student and traveler to Shanghai, China I can only reflect back on so many highlights of my trip. From traveling to attractions such as the great wall to just exploring the community where a resided in the Yangpu district. It was eye opening to see so many different features of life in person such as the architecture, culture, geography and lifestyle. At first I was a bit apprehensive about how my experience would unfold because of the my uncertainty of how I would adjust to notable things like the language and customs. Then after awhile, I grew more comfortable and confident being out on my own because I started to become really familiar with my surroundings and agenda.

Fudan, was a great university to attend especially because it was very laid-back. Being a international I feel like one worry we share going into a traveling experience is the depth of the education we'll receive abroad. Fudan provided a huge amount of resources but it was interesting to explore a whole school database written in another language.

I can't stress enough how much TEAN has contributed to my experience with the inclusions and 360 degree support from start to finish. Highly recommend choosing to travel with them.

TAKE ME BACK!

Choosing TEAN as my program provider for my semester abroad was the best decision I made. From the start of my application process through the end of my semester, I received help with everything I needed.

Academics: Due to my major, I took a lot of businesses classes and one beginner Chinese class to help me immerse myself within the culture. I had classes with many students from across the globe! The classes weren't too hard or too easy. You should be fine as long as you study and take notes. I was able to read signs in Pinyin and improve my language skills because of what I learned in my chinese class.

Housing: I lived in an off-campus apartment five minutes away from Fudan. I found the location perfect because It was close enough to school and still in the center of the social scene. There were many restaurants and bars on the street I lived on and a metro stop nearby if I wanted to go to other parts of the city. There was a Wal-mart conveniently located nearby. They also deliver your groceries. There are also many gyms located around the area. The street food is delicious! Many street foods by Fudan and the apartments.

Staff: The on-site resident director helped us with everything we needed. Responded to our questions in less than 24 hours! You don't realize how beneficial this is until you need help.

Social: There is ALWAYS something to do in Shanghai! You'd have to try really hard to be bored. www.smartshanghai.com is a great site to find things to do.

I can't believe it's over!

TEAN provided the best accomadations and cultural immersion. My classes were a range of business classes and one Chinese language class. The classes are not too hard or too easy. My classmates were from around the world. My Chinese language class was super fun and there was a total of 12 of us. We got a lot of our questions answered.

The staff was always there whenever I needed help. My questions were answered in less than 24 hours.

I lived in an off campus apartment that was only a 10 minute walk to Fudan.

We got to go to ride camels in Mongolia and see the sunrise at the great wall.

I made local Chinese friends and international friends from all over the world! I would definitely choose TEAN again!

Hands down!

My most memorable experience during my semester abroad is visiting my birthplace, Hong Kong for the first time in my whole entire life. I remember my first night there, I was in disbelief. I arrived at my hostel around midnight but I was so restless I just wanted it to be morning time already so I can wander around.

I felt most comfortable with TEAN. They handle everything from start to end. They even include a few group excursions to enhance the experience for those who are not as comfortable going off on their own.

I lived in an apartment that was located 5 minutes walking distance to the university. I lived with other students from america who also went through TEAN, and a local Chinese roommate.

Best experience of my whole entire existence

You can never be completely ready for a semester abroad in a totally different country. Its impossible to plan out every single thing that might happen. Luckily I had TEAN by my side. They helped me from start to end. From the beginning processes of choosing classes that would transfer back to my home university, to planning my trips outside of the program itinerary while abroad. It is the best 6 months of my entire existence. I would go back and do it all over again.

Best experience of my whole entire existence

This was hands down the best decision I've ever made. Deciding to pack up and move to a different country for 6 months is scary! TEAN helped me through the whole process of applying, all the way up to when I landed back home in the U.S. I've seen so much and learned so much during my time abroad. I miss it dearly :(

The right choice is TEAN!

I believe that everyone who has the opportunity to study abroad in college should. Studying in a foreign country will likely give you a new perspective on many things. Immersing yourself in a new culture and language, visiting historical sites, meeting people from all over the world, and experiencing trips you could have only dreamed of are just some of the perks of studying abroad. Although I didn't think getting settled in China was too difficult I know it would have been nearly impossible without the help and support from TEAN. From helping us enroll in all our classes, to organizing amazing trips and excursions, conducting a 5 day long orientation to familiarize us all with Shanghai, to helping us overcome language barriers, the TEAN crew was always there for us. If you are looking for a program where you will make life long friends and go on some great adventures (climb the great wall or ride camels in inner mongolia) then TEAN is definitely the program for you!

Life changing!

My most memorable experience was when we traveled to Inner Mongolia. It was nothing like I have ever experienced before. We took jeep through the desert to arrive to a Muslim camp where we slept in yurts and enjoyed very typical meals.

I chose this program because it offered a semester in one of the top university in the world for political science. Besides, it includes trips along the semester, which was very practical because I did not have to plan travels myself like other students had to. Finally, TEAN takes care of everything, from health insurance, to housing, to phone service etc...which is super relaxing and convenient!

I lived in an apartment a few minutes away from campus, wallmart and a mall. It's in a residential building with lot of Chinese families. It was situated in a western like street, and just 5 minutes away from a very Chinese streets with many restaurants. We had a nice terrace and a rooftop, as well as a trendy living room.

A life changing experience

Doing this semester in China was really one of the most amazing thing I have done in my life!

I am glad I chose the TEAN program because it really suited to what I wanted: a program that would plan everything for me, offer comprehensive assistance, and help me travel with other students!

China is a very interesting country, and Asian culture in general is fascinating. Shanghai is very cosmopolitan and I loved meeting such an international and Chinese crowd! Shanghai offers lot of very different cultural experiences. You can discover them during the orientation organized by TEAN upon arrival

The campus is very beautiful and the classes really interesting. They can be quite challenging but you really get an insight into Asian cultures, and share experiences with local professors and students.

The housing offered by TEAN is ideal, situated a few minutes away from campus, restaurants, grocery stores, and shopping mall. You have a nice terrace and rooftop for warmer days. You get to live with other international students and a Chinese roommate! She became a very great friend, and would always helped us traveling around.

TEAN also offered highlights trips all around China which were amazing. They would organize everything and everytime you would see everything that was needed to see in every location. I think it is what I preferred about the program. Every student on campus travels outside of Shanghai, but it can sometimes be hard to know where to go, how, and what to see. TEAN takes charge of everything for you.

All in all I loved my experience abroad and would definitely do it all over again. I kept contact with my local friends and roommates, and even the TEAN staff which was so nice to us!

A life changing experience!

I honestly believe that this semester abroad was the best decision I have ever met in my life. Discovering Asian culture was so different from everything I have ever seen before. Living among locals, and studying with fellow Chinese and international students really added to my personal as well as academical and professional experience. TEAN did a great job planning my semester, which was very relaxing because otherwise it would have been a lot of work. The price of the program compared to everything it offers is definitely a great deals. More particularly, the discovery trips offered throughout the semester were amazing!

So much fun!

I had an internship where I taught 3rd grade migrant kids English. Seeing their excited little faces every Friday was so much fun!

I wanted a program that my university was familiar with- and my advisor said that many students in the past had a fantastic experience with TEAN. They were right!

The TEAN apartments are really comfortable. They're western-style, and have a good amount of space. The location was on a unique, modern street very close to the university gate.

TEAN is what you're looking for.

I truly think that every student should study abroad sometime during their undergrad. Tackling a new language, experiencing a new culture, seeing famous & historical sites, meeting friends from far away places, and tasting difference cuisines while traveling become your favorite memories. It takes you out of your comfort zone and makes every day an adventure. TEAN was the perfect choice for me- having their support, especially in a country as distant as China, was essential to making the process smooth and carefree. Also, the excursions they include in the package are awesome and would be incredibly difficult to pull off by yourself. For anyone looking to study in China, TEAN in Shanghai is definitely the way to go.

Take me back!

The two semester excursions organized by TEAN- one to the great wall and the other to inner Mongolia- were absolutely amazing. The sunrise hike that we did on the jinshanling section of the great wall was breathtaking, as was sand sledding and camel riding in the dessert in inner Mongolia. These are two things that I could never have imagined doing, and am so grateful that I got to experience two such different yet incredible things during my semester abroad.

TEAN offered all aspects that I was looking for in a study abroad program; they gave me flexibility in choosing my own classes, the option to live in an apartment, included semester excursions, a local Chinese roommate, and much more. I couldn't be more satisfied in my choice to study abroad with them.

I lived in an off campus apartment about 10 minutes walking distance from Fudan's campus. The apartment was in a great location on a fun, friendly street with lots of restaurants, boutiques, and bars. The apartment was well furnished and spacious.

Take me back!

My semester in Shanghai is one that I will never forget. I met some friends for life, learned about a new culture, ate some very strange things, traveled to some places I never could have imagined, and all thanks to The Education Abroad Network. TEAN was there every step of the way, always providing support and organizing fun events. From Chinese painting classes, to volunteer work, to program dinners, and China excursions, there was always something fun to look forward to.

The program directors and resident directors were incredibly helpful and approachable throughout the entire study abroad process. The TEAN team is so friendly and they are all willing to help in all situations. My resident director assisted me in everything from translating random information, to helping me book plane tickets, to helping me find tutoring jobs and internships.

I have never felt more safe in a big city than I have in Shanghai. Maybe its that Chinese aren't really violent by nature, but I never felt threatened or uncomfortable walking by myself in Shanghai.

Social Life:
From the student bars such as Helen's or Perry's to the fancier Bund options such as Bar rouge or the Vue; The M clubs (MINT, M18, M2, Muse, etc) the bar streets, the 5000+ restaurants. There is always something going on in Shanghai.

Best decision ever

My semester in China with TEAN was my second study abroad. It was a good and interesting experience, but my semester in China was AMAZING because of TEAN. I had the chance to study, learn about an incredible culture, and travel all in one. Many thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to China but I consider this one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Wonderful Once in a lifetime Experience!!

Tean is a wonderful program to go on for both those who have no experience abroad and those who are very China savy. I highly recommend them because they were not only very knowledgeable on how to approach China, but they also bend over backwards to help students out. They put us in very nice apartments with western amenities that made the stay slightly easier. Having met others who were studying abroad through a different organization I am grateful to have picked TEAN to study abroad with. The Chinese culture is very interesting and I would recommend it to anyone regardless of knowledge level of Chinese or Chinese culture. I had no knowledge of the language or the culture and it turned out to be the best experience of my life!

Fudan is challenging yet achievable. The staff there is very helpful and many speak english

Wonderful they put us in the best apartments in the area and it was far better than any location on campus

They put you right in downtown Shanghai it is a great location that has some western amenities as well as plenty of Chinese culture to surround you

They were always there and were quick at resolving any situations that arose

Shanghai: City of Fun, City of Learning

Shanghai is the center of Asia, in the sense that it attracts people from every part of the world. If you want to study here, Fudan is the Chinese equivalent of the University of Chicago. If you want to have fun, (whatever "fun" means for you) Shanghai is a great place to do it, with urban fun to be had, and a wonderful location as a base for those who want to go out into the Chinese countryside. TEAN's excellent on-site service and relationships within the local area make for an incredible experience overall, no matter what you're looking for.

Fudan's academics are excellent. My experiences working with professors from Philosophy, History, and the Center for American Studies were all wonderful, and the classes they taught were top-notch. The only issue to be aware of is that Fudan is attempting to combat grade inflation on their campus, so they only allow 30% of a given class to receive an A or A- grade for the semester. That said, anyone can get a B+. Moral of the story: pick classes you'll care about, and put in the extra effort--Fudan professors do notice, trust me.

TEAN's off-campus apartments are excellent in every sense of the word. The location is superbly convenient, a 15-minute walk from campus, and an even shorter distance from Wal-mart. The apartments themselves are well-furnished and have all the amenities one could ask for, except an oven and dryer--welcome to Asia! As for dinning nearby, there is safe street food to be had within easy walking distance, and Western-style restaurants even closer. While you can live in the international student apartments at Fudan for less, having been a frequent visitor to that august establishment, I would say that TEAN's off-campus housing is the better deal by far.

It doesn't get much better than Shanghai for cultural immersion. Chinese in Shanghai are friendly to Westerners, as they see the bottom line in dealing with them, rather than the Party line. The amount of cultural immersion is totally up to you. You can get by with next to no Chinese the entire semester, or you can speak it almost exclusively every day--it just depends on your willingness to put yourself out there.

TEAN"s in-country staff is excellent. They have a wonderful grasp of the structure at Fudan, and they are also very able to relate to the off-campus landlords in addressing any apartment issues that crop up.

TEAN is Terrific

Everything about The Education Abroad Network's study abroad program in Shanghai was fantastic. They are there every step of the way to ensure a smooth transition into what is, for most people, an entirely new way of living. The apartments they provide are extremely nice, as well as the monthly dinners at renowned restaurants they treat us to. My favorite part of the whole trip had to be the TEAN-sponsored trip to Inner Mongolia, where we live in the desert for 3 days, ride camels, and finish off the excursion with a group bonfire. If I could do this all over again, I wouldn't have to think twice before choosing TEAN.

One of my college careers' highlights!

The whole trip was an opportunity of a lifetime, but sleeping in yurts in a frigid desert and riding camels across a sea of sand so large you can't see anything else is a unique experience in itself.

I chose this program because of comprehensiveness of it as well as class offerings, school, and excursions.

My accommodations had 3 bedroom apartment, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, living room, fully furnished, balcony. All very nice.

A highlight of my college career

Studying abroad was something I always wanted to do and kept pushing off. One great result of pushing it back was it gave me the time to discover TEAN. They did a fantastic job setting you up the summer before and assimilating you into your new life on the ground. Having actual people there to help you through the process is huge.

While there, we were taken care of and put in accomodations that made other students slightly jealous. It was the perfect spring board to venture out and experience what comes after the classroom in a study abroad.

Due to some restrictions because of my home degree, I was unable to take as many classes with Chinese students as I was wanting to, but they were still informative, useful classes.

Great place to live, good location, not too far from campus, but very close to subway and activities

Shanghai is a slightly different city than most in China by nature. However, it's still a world class city, and no regrets living there.

Adventure Abroad!

Fall 2012 was the best semester of my entire life. Why? The people, the culture, the activities, the adventures, The Education Abroad Network. Shanghai, China will never be looked at in the same way. TEAN offered wonderful excursions and awesome bonding opportunities which brought every closer together. They prepped us with what to expect to help students be at ease. The housing was in a prime location and was very close to campus. Because we were fully integrated into the fudan system, we were able to choose among the whole class list which I really appreciated. If it weren't for TEAN, I would have been disappointed with my class options. THANK YOU!