The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Chiang Mai - Summer in Thailand

Thanks to TEAN for the best summer of my life!

I absolutely loved my time studying in Thailand with TEAN! I had no clue what to expect when it came to the culture that I would be immersed in, although I was ready to dive right in. TEAN was the perfect program for this because I had the opportunity to live with a Thai roommate, who I learned a lot about Thai culture and society from. The class I took had a balance between material learned in a typical class setting and also included excursions that take place outside of class. I feel as though I got the perfect holistic experience of Thailand through the combination of my class, Thai roommate, and living in Chiang Mai. The extracurricular activity I partook in, which was a nature hike through the jungles of northern Thailand, was the best hiking experience I have ever had. For months after, I have been longing to make a return back to Thailand because of these experiences. Thank you TEAN for the best summer of my life!

Best Experience Ever!

The Chiang Mai summer program provided the perfect introduction to studying abroad. The TEAN staff and professors were extremely helpful in helping us adjust to a totally new culture. Additionally, the group of students that I traveled with was absolutely amazing; I've made life-long friends from all around the US.
TEAN was really helpful in our pre-planning, arrival in Chiang Mai, and setting us up at CMU and Uniloft. We had three representatives present in Chiang Mai, who we could call if we ever needed anything. All logistical items were handled before we even got there, so our transition was very smooth.
Our housing was spectacular, probably better than at my home university. We lived at Uniloft, which is a hybrid dorm/apartment student-living complex that is only a 5 minute walk from the university's back gate. The complex has a great location and awesome amenities; there's 2 swimming pools, study rooms, multiple ATMs, gym, laundry service, and a 7-11. There's so many bars, restaurants, and cafes nearby (even a cat cafe!); street food stalls are a three minute walk away and stay open till 2am! We shared a room with our Thai roommate. The size of the rooms are large enough, and you can close off your door for privacy. The private bathrooms are western-style and very clean. Overall, Uniloft is the perfect place for students.
I was really happy with how the program encouraged us to get a more authentic experience. By rooming with Thai students, we were able to learn about their favorite places to eat, local nightlife, resources on campus, how to stay polite in social interactions, and fun places to hangout. I had a great time touring the country with my roommate and was honored when he took me to his hometown to meet his family. The program really shows you the breadth of Thai society and culture. In class, we studied topics ranging from history to Buddhism, which were able to apply by visiting local temples, landmarks, and NGOs. By far, my favorite part was the Thai village home-stay. By living in a village for several days, we saw a totally different side of Thailand, the hardworking life of the rural populations. Overall, this program definitely integrated us well. By the end, we were able to speak some phrases in Thai and advise other travelers about their plans and more.
Chiang Mai is super safe! There was NEVER a time that I felt unsafe. Uniloft has multiple security guards that patrol the building 24/7, so nothing ever happened there. CMU also has its own security team to patrol campus. Around the city, there's nothing really to look out for. Everyone is really nice and minds their own business. During the day, we often broke off into small groups or even individually to tour the city and nothing ever happened. At night, we never got into any trouble either, even when we would come back from a night out at like 4am. Overall, Chiang Mai is extremely safe. The living accommodations are out of the old city, which is a more touristy area and has the potential for more crime (even though nothing ever happens). Just take the same precautions you do when you are your home university; stay in groups, don't walk alone at night, and be mindful of your surroundings.

One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

Getting lost with a friend in the Old City at 3 in the morning, but not feeling scared at all because Chiang Mai is really safe, was not only an adventure but also a memorable experience because it made us extremely close.

I chose this program because it was beneficial to me in terms of graduation and my own personal desire to learn more about my country and heritage.

I lived in a dorm that was located right behind the school gates, on a street that had basically everything a student would need: a general store, a 7-11, restaurants, street food vendors, and inexpensive taxis that could take us into the city centre.

A Brilliant Experience

Studying abroad with TEAN in Chiang Mai was seriously one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. The staff were helpful in making sure I got everything together in order to go, and the teachers at the university were very enthusiastic with their subject and made my learning experience very interesting and rewarding. Chiang Mai is a beautiful city filled with beautiful people, culture, and history that I was so happy to be a part of for 6 weeks. During my time there we were given meal allowances, taken on excursions, and coffee dates. They did a really good job at taking care of us students and making us feel as comfortable as possible during our time in Chiang Mai. I would most definitely do this again if I could, and I would recommend it as a great program for anyone who wants to study abroad in Southeast Asia for the summer.

Social Life:
While there I made friends with the people in my program, all of our Thai roommates, and other people who were travelling around Thailand at the time. I met a lot of people from many countries such as Canada, Ireland, and Zimbabwe; it was really fun to come into contact with so many individuals.

Zoe's In Yellow is THE place to be, by the way, if you want to dance, have fun with friends, and meet people. :)