The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Brisbane - University of Queensland

Best choices I made

When planning to study abroad, the best choices I made were going withTEAN as my provider and studying at the University of Queensland. They set us up with housing, (which was right across from campus), helped out with choosing classes, paperwork and most of all, they made all that paper work worth it! I am also very happy with my decision of choosing UQ. Before I studied abroad I saw a quote about Brisbane's weather "Beautiful one day, perfect the next." Everyday I was there I was reminded of this quote because its so true! Brisbane is the perfect location leaving day and weekend trips very easily to plan. UQ's academics were also great! Let me tell you, those classes were not easy, but I feel like I learned so much! All of the professors were also great. UQ also offered great clubs for students, especially one called "Quest." It was a group of International students and those students from UQ who want to go abroad in the future. In this club, they had trips which could bring us all around the east coast. Overall, it was the best decision of my life!

I enjoyed Australia's Marine Environment which included 2 field trips! I also took Australia's Indigenous Art, Popular Music of the 1950's Onward, and Australian indigenous Issues: Past, Present, Future.

Couldn't be better! Excellent location, fully furnished, great roommates!

TEAN provided cultural immersion activities for us such as AFL games, Australian Indigenous Tour, Lawn Bowling, coffee breaks, visit to the wildlife parks.

Extremely helpful!

My best decision

My most memorable experience abroad was the Byron Bay pre-semester excursion. During this time, my TEAN group I was with became very close while spending 4 days in Byron Bay. These 4 days were action packed with kayaking with dolphins, snorkeling, horseback riding on the beach, surf lessons, hang gliding, and our tour around the lighthouse. All of these factors made one of the most memorable experiences for me while in Australia and it was all because of TEAN!

I chose The Education Abroad Network after seeing all of the great reviews for it! TEAN definitely exceeded my expectations and was very helpful with preparing me for UQ, while I was there, and now that I have been back. They definitely take away all the extra stress a student has about paperwork, finding housing before being abroad, and getting transcripts to transfer back so you make the most of your time while there! The excursions were definitely a plus! :)

I lived in an apartment with three other American students. One other girl and two guys. It was two bed room, two bathroom, a kitchen, living room, and the balcony where I spent most of my time! We lived right across from UQ, taking us about 8-10 minutes to walk to each class. The bus stop and ferry stop were also 8-10 mins away, with taking about a 15 minute bus ride into the city. The apartments themselves were very modern and came fully furnished thanks to TEAN! They even provided us with bedding, pots and pans, everything that we need to get by for the semester and more.

Couldn't be better! Excellent location, fully furnished, great roommates!

The Exchange Hotel for $1 tacos on Thursday Nights along with great live music ;)

Changed My Life

The month long Brisbane Festival and on the last night they have a fireworks display called Riverfire. Fireworks are shot from all sides and bends of the river around the city and even off of the tops of office buildings.

The weather, location and prestigious rank of the University of Queensland are the reasons on why I chose this program.

I lived on the 13th floor of an apartment on Tank Street. There were three bedrooms for three of us and two bathrooms. We also had a very functional kitchen and a large living room which connected to our balcony. Our balcony provided us with a breathtaking view of the Brisbane river. And we had a washer and dryer. The location was great. It was only a 20 minute commute to campus, but a 4 block walk to the heart of the city, Queen Street Mall and a 2 block walk to a major train station.

Saying this trip was worthwhile would be an understatement

My most memorable experience was traveling by myself during the university's Reading Week along the east coast of Australia. I went down south to Philip's Island to to watch the Penguin Parade and visit the Chocolate Factory; spent a few days being a tourist in Melbourne (and falling in love with "Lord of the Fries", an all-vegetarian restaurant); and spent a day looking at the war monuments and Parliament House in Canberra.

I chose my program because I valued the guaranteed housing (which I felt was necessary in country so far away), liked being able to rely on the Resident Advisor, and enjoyed being able to spend a week in Sydney for orientation.

I lived in an apartment flat with three other Americans. The apartment was fully furnished (including kitchen with cutlery, a dishwasher, washing machine and dryer, three televisions, and two bathrooms) and had a balcony. The apartment was right across the street from the university, and was close to the bus stop and ferry stop that went into Central Brisbane. The apartment also had good security (the front door and garage door automatically locked), and the landlord was always available and helpful.

Why Did It Have to End?

Going to Australia has probably been one of the best experiences of my life. From learning a new culture firsthand; understanding science, nutrition, and government policy with an Australian perspective; and learning the high's and low's of becoming a certified barista, I never in my life thought I would have this knowledge of a country and lifestyle on the other side of the world. I made friends there, international friends from Italy and Asia, and even Americans who live close to me (and one who even goes to my school!) Being in Australia also gave me an insight about what makes America so unique and special, as well as solutions to some of the problems we have here because of the insight from outsiders. Saying this trip was worthwhile would be an understatement.

I'm in love with Brisbane

My most memorable experience would probably be my final trip to New Zealand. The tickets TEAN helped us get allowed for one stop over on our way home and I chose to stop in New Zealand. It was so gorgeous and a perfect way to end my semester abroad.

I chose TEAN because I wanted help with all of the paperwork before leaving. They helped set up out housing, told us how to apply for visas and even how to sign up for classes. They also provided an awesome orientation week in Sydney, which was the perfect start for my semester.

I lived in an apartment in the city. It was a 2 minute walk from the train station and bus station, 5 minutes from the Queen Street Mall and just across the bridge from South Bank. The location could not have been more perfect. We were in the center of everything exciting!

In love with Brisbane

Studying abroad is hands down one of the best decisions someone can make while in college, but it comes with a lot of paperwork and planning. The Education Abroad Network was a HUGE help for me when planning out my semester. It was a huge stress relief that they helped us step by step with housing, picking classes, etc. It also didn't hurt that Brisbane is an AMAZING location. It was so easy to feel like a local and really get the true aussie experience. I would go back to Australia in a heartbeat and I know TEAN had a lot to do with my fantastic experience while abroad!

UQ has a beautiful campus and some amazing classes! The tutorials were a great way for me to get to know local students and the professors were amazing teachers.

Living in the city was the best decision I could have made. It was so close to everywhere people loved to go. Close to the mall, train station and local cafes, it was the perfect spot!

Brisbane changed my life

Studying abroad through TEAN at the University of Queensland was the best decision I've made in college. TEAN helps you through the entire process from applying to the school, registering for classes, and setting you up in amazing living situations. They give a life changing 5 day orientation in Sydney and then have representatives near every campus. Brisbane is a magical area. There is always something going on, mellow or upbeat. And the transportation options are unbeatable whether you take a ferry on the river, or a quick train ride to the Sunshine or Gold coast. If you plan on studying abroad, I highly recommend using TEAN.

I lived in a gorgeous apartment in the city with an incredible view of the Brisbane River

By far the best experience of my life!

Studying abroad was such a memorable experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I learned about people from all over the world and how their lives differ from mine in the United States. Studying and living abroad opened my eyes to various world issues and made me a much more independent and confident person. This experience was absolutely worthwhile and I encourage everyone to study abroad!

Why TEAN made Aussie

TEAN is respectful and helpful beyond belief. I was late in my registration for studying abroad and TEAN helped me so I could get everything in. They help communicate not just daily but hourly through email with you, your university, and the international university. They provide speedy and personalized service for each student. Once you get to Australia you will be in a group of other TEAN students going to different unis. This group spends a week together just exploring Sydney and getting in touch with the culture. All the events provided are fun and the staff treats you like adults not students which is really awesome. They do not care about partying or drinking so long as you do not get in trouble. We stayed at the best hotels, ate at the best restaurants, and the last night we were on a cruise dinner in Sydney harbor. From there you go to your uni and TEAN helps you all along the way with anything you need from academic help to job search. Also they organize cultural events that are really awesome and fun. Once you get back to the states they help you make sure your credits all transfer in and really take care of you. I was so impressed with this experience and the personnel that I still find myself talking with the people I met through TEAN, students and faculty.

TEAN gives some of the best options to students in Australia for living accommodations. The only down side is being in Australia there will be bugs but they are not a problem unless you leave food or garbage out.

Everyone I met wanted to meet international students or was international themselves. I got a job easily and met a lot of people that just the school wouldn't have allowed me to meet. TEAN has active representatives that help you with job search and the cultural events are amazing and well organized.

Without a doubt TEAN is the most respectful and egalitarian of any organization dealing with students. I would not choose any other network to go abroad with.

Brisbane may be the safest city in the world.

Social Life:
People are very nice and want to hang out with Americans and it is not hard to make friends at all.

Best five months of my life!

I left for Brisbane, Australia just about a year ago and when I think back on my experience I just smile and then want to cry because I miss it so much. I wouldn't have had such an amazing time without The Education Abroad Network. They offered so many opportunities ranging from coffee dates, to BBQs, to AFL games, to an orientation, to mid-semester break trips. The people I met, the opportunities I got, the experience I had, I owe it all to TEAN! It was truly the best five months of my life and I just want to go back now!

The classes I took were really interesting and the course load was about equal or even a little less than in the United States so I enjoyed going to class.

TEAN set me up with an apartment living with 3 other American students. It couldn't have been any better. I loved my roommates and the apartment was very homey which made me feel comfortable immediately.

I joined an intramural soccer team with other people from Australia and studying abroad and it was really awesome! My classes were mostly Australian students so that was a great way to meet people as well.

Very helpful and organized whenever I needed help or had questions.

I always felt safe walking around the city and my apartment area.

School Down Under

I attended the University of Queensland with the TEAN program! UQ is gorgeous and puts a lot of effort into making the university a great place for both students and professors. TEAN organized living near by, constantly sent reminders of big events in the area and our Resident Director was always available to help ranging from directions and what bus to take to school, housing and everything needed to make Brisbane feel like home!