The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Australian Environment, Wildlife & Conservation

Like nothing else

I have been abroad before, but never like this. Choosing TEAN and the wildlife, environment and conservation trip was one of the best choices I could have made. The experiences were incredible and everyone worked hard to make sure that we were learning and that we were having a great time. It was just the right amount of work and play. I learned so much in those five short weeks, it was an experience I will never forget. We traveled through what seemed like half of australia and got to meet and work with so many natives, as well as really get out in the field and see the things we were learning about. This trip doesn't relate to my major, and in honesty, I would highly recommend that for someone. I learned so much about something that I don't usually study, but something that I am passionate about, and now want to continue doing.

Equal amounts of work and play

There are no words to describe a vast country that has been taken care of by the Aboriginal people and a land that has taken care of them. When you reach the overlooks in Kakadu National Park, the amount of life and history you can see in one moment is breathtaking.

The Education Abroad Network was the most responsive and the most helpful while I prepared and made my decision studying abroad. They also provided the most amount of travel around Australia for a summer program.

Most of the accommodations were safe and welcoming hostels, but we also stayed at the University of New South Wales dorms (almost as large as an apartment) for 2 weeks and camped while in Darwin.

A Years' Experience in A TEAN Summer

As an individual who had never left the United States before going to Australia, I believe that I chose the most responsible and exciting team who could help me explore. This program allows deep connections to grow and new friendships to form while also taking you on the time of your life, all the way from avoid-the-crocs at all costs Down Under to the don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-a-lifetime Great Barrier Reef. Each day was packed with learning and with spare time, most of the time starting early. Choosing a good study abroad program is crucial, The Education Abroad Network provides simultaneous stability and independence, modern and cultural interactions and more importantly, equal amounts of work and play!

Allowed deep connections to grow

Words cannot explain my experience abroad in Australia!

It was more than worth it! I gained more in 5 weeks then I have throughout my whole life of schooling. Not only did I learn about wildlife and culture, but I gained a better perspective about life and taking things one day at a time. Life is full of endless possibilities, but if you put your mind to it, you will achieve them. That is exactly what I did by studying abroad in Australia. And I never expected to meet so many new people, whom I would consider life-long friends. No matter the cost, flight, or country... get out there and study abroad! You will NOT regret it!

I believe our group learned and saw more in 5 weeks than most people have their whole life living in Australia. Not only did we learn from short classroom lectures, but we applied this knowledge hands on by hiking trails and mountains, camping, and field studies. This made the educational experience more interesting and unforgettable. During the 5 weeks we had to write in field notebooks, do specific activities, write a research compare/contrast paper, create a group presentation, and take a final exam. The work load was not too much and used everything that was taught. The professors Rosalie, Brad, and Geoff topped off the educational experience by being brilliant teachers, very knowledgeable of each topic, very entertaining, and could answer almost every question possible. Unlike your typical semester class, this was not one you would fall asleep too!

We stayed in about 6 places in 5 weeks and they were all fairly comfortable, even when camping. My favorite were definitely the hostels because you got to meet more of the locals and personally know the people in your group, since you had to live with multiple people in one room. I have never been in a hostel before, but they are much more entertaining and chill then a hotel. Overall, the location of each place we stayed was great! No matter what, you could find somewhere to go or something to do in the area, even if you had to take a bus.

The program administration made the process to prepare for studying abroad much smoother and very easy going. I have never traveled internationally before and I was doing this all on my own. With their help I was never stressed or worried about payments, flights, and what to pack. I would specially like to give thanks to Rachel Dorsey, whom had guided me since my freshman year through the process to study abroad.

Just make sure you always look right-left-right when crossing the street! It was hard to get used to at first, but sometimes your main concern can be crossing the road and not getting close to a car. Australia rarely has crime, so as long as you walk around with one other person at night, your fine.

Social Life:
You can never be bored or say there is nothing to do. I honestly felt like I didn't have enough time to do everything!