The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Australia Internship Program

Best summer of my life

Deciding to do a summer internship in Australia was truly the best decision I've ever made. Being pre-med, it's really hard to study abroad since you can't take pre-reqs abroad, but this program was the perfect solution. My internship was doing research on cognitive deficits following concussion on the neuropsychiatry service through Hunter New England Health in Newcastle, and it was an absolutely amazing opportunity. I got the chance to experience clinical research first hand in an international setting, which was pretty huge. I also had the opportunity to travel around Australia and saw amazing places including The Great Barrier Reef, Byron Bay, the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, and the Whitsunday Islands, which was truly the most beautiful place I've ever been. I've made friendships with both Australians and Americans that will last a lifetime, which is an incredibly priceless reward of doing this program. This program has truly spiked my desire to keep traveling, as it has taught me that travel truly is the most important source of learning and self growth.

The experience of a lifetime!

This whole experience has changed my life. As cliché as that sounds, I can say with complete honesty that it is 100% true. Before this trip I had never been out of North America, let alone, away from my family and friends for this long. While there were definitely times where it was tough and I really didn’t want to do this whole thing anymore, I found ways to stick it out. I took trips and saw places like nothing I had ever seen before. I made friendships that will hopefully last a lifetime. I truly experienced what it is like to live and work abroad. But most importantly, this trip allowed me to develop and grow as a young adult, who is looking forward to my next adventure; wherever that may take me.

Australia: a trip of a lifetime

Going to Australia was one of the best experiences I could have possibly decided to do, however my experience abroad turned out to be a bit more unique than your regular study abroad program. I broke my ankle two days before I was supposed to fly across the world. Having to change my flight to a week later, get two screws in my ankle to permanently put my foot together, and fly over and spend my entirety of my trip on crutches, you could say I was put to the test. TEAN however truly did help me as I attempted to mend myself. I had doctor visits to go to and therapy. I could not have done it without their helping hand, particularly one individual. I grew as a person because of my fallback and I thank TEAN for their helping hand.