The Education Abroad Network Header Image The Education Abroad Network Header Image

TEAN: Auckland - AUT University

A truly unexpected journey

I truly loved my time abroad. Through TEAN we were able to begin our journey with an orientation in Fiji, where we got to meet all of the other students traveling abroad, hike and snorkel. Once in Auckland, TEAN made sure to show us around and help us transition into the new culture and our new homes. New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries that I have ever seen and because of this program I was able to see so much of it, from excursions during spring break to rugby games and volcanic hikes.

Pushing your body and mind to new heights

I love the outdoors and I was very excited to take part of New Zealand's amazing outdoor activities! From great walks, to bungee jumping to sky diving, it was easy to find high energy activities that would challenge my body and mind. My friends and I braved the Tongariro Alpine Crossing near Lake Taupo. It was a long and high climb through mountains and some snow. We hiked for 8 hours! It was the longest I have every climbed or hiked, but I was excited every step of the way. And the Lord of the Rings fangirl in me was just giddy over the fact that I was by the Mount Doom! Although it's actually called Mount Ngauruhoe. We weren't able to climb it due to there being too much fog, but we climbed the mountain next to it, and got an amazing view of Mount Ngauruhoe! I even had a mini photoshoot of throwing the One Ring down the mountain. After the long day, my legs were like jelly, but I was so proud of myself and made some wonderful memories with my friends!

My New Whanau in New Zealand

There were many aspects of my trip that I loved. I loved learning how to code and use photoshop in my web design class. I loved learning Japanese and enhancing my photography skills. I LOVED the food and have a delicious lamb kebab once a week.
The TEAN advisors and program was a huge reason of why my time was so fun. Kenneth, Sam, and Rachel, the advisors, were always available. There were many times when they would pop in and check up with me, just to talk and see how I was doing. And they organized many fun trips and events. We had surfing lessons, which I've never done- odd considering I've lived in Southern California my whole life. And we had group dinner when we first got to Auckland and then right before we left. At that point, it was hard to say goodbye to the people who had your back every step of the way and the new friends you made.
But what made my trip was being welcomed into the Maori community. One of my classes allowed me to learn some Maori and become immersed into the culture. And through this class, I got to know many Maori people and international people. And we all became Whanau for life! We become a close-knit group of people who spent time with each other, growing, learning, and eating. I still keep in contact with my whanau, because these are the people that were there for me and supported my long nights coding, helped me with my Japanese, and braved skydiving with me. No matter what you do, it's the friends you make that will be there with you every step of the way!
I can’t wait to go back one day soon!

An Adventure of a Lifetime

Studying abroad in New Zealand was the adventure of a lifetime. New Zealand is also probably the best country to have new adventures! The Education Abroad Network made it easy to transition into a new country and settle in for 5 months. Before the semester, we went on an adventure in Fiji. We stayed in huts on a beach front and got the full Fiji resort experience. This was the best way to relax before a semester of school.

When we arrived in Auckland, New Zealand, they already set up accommodations and events for us to learn about the culture and the people. We stayed at a marae, or a Māori meeting house and went wine tasting. There was a level of comfort being under TEAN's guidance. The residential advisors we met were genuine and interested in what we had to say. They held a helpful orientation about how to act and what to do in New Zealand. Then, one the advisors escorted us to our apartments.

Throughout the semester, TEAN hosts a number of events, both in conjunction with the university and independently. The good thing about having a cross-over is how streamlined it is with our university schedules. Some of the events TEAN hosted were some of my favorite experiences. This included: canyoning in Piha, a surf lesson (with transportation included) and going to a rugby game. TEAN really gives you the best student treatment. They go above and beyond for students studying abroad. I can't help but to rave about TEAN!

One notable thing about TEAN is how quickly they helped me jump into new adventures. Their enthusiasm and knowledge made me comfortable trying new things.