The Bamboo Project powered by GVN Header Image The Bamboo Project powered by GVN Header Image

Koh Samui Beach School Development

FANTASTIC.

First thing’s first, if I could EVER describe project ‘Koh Samui Beach School Development’ in one word it would be: AMAZING. Being the first time volunteering in another country, the Bamboo team has opened my mind and expanded my perception of everything. Being picked up by Mark (or if anyone else did) would’ve been an extremely terrifying experience for anyone. But being as cheeky and awesome as he was, Mark welcomed my sister and I with assuring and encouraging words. First day we inside Bangkok, Thailand we explored many places from Khao San Road to cannels throughout the city. Later leaving all the exploring behind, we finally went to Koh Samui for school development. At first I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Would I be painting walls? Would I be fixing chairs? No, this was an entirely new level of development. The project for the week was to create an outdoor lunch area for the students to sit on. It started from a well-worn garden with foundations on the brink of breaking and creepy critters crawling around. My first reaction was “wow” this will be a difficult project, but with the reassurance of Tee (project leader), Mark and Peter (volunteer) it wouldn’t be a problem. Through the sweat and the tears, we managed to manually carry over 1+ ton of soil and sand to cover the area to help solidify the area. When the brick placement time came, students of the school generously helped us bring bricks over this made me realize how kind and caring they were. They’ve seen sweat watered from our bodies off and as a token of their appreciation they offered to help move bricks over. After completing this project, each and every one of us was amazed. Seeing where we started and finished is two different worlds. The next project we took on (but was left to finish for future volunteers) was to dig approx. 20cm down the ground behind the school to pour cement. This side of the school had a history of leaking water inside during heavy rainfall and by creating a moat and cementing the foundations the room could be used again.

I cannot express how much I love my family at Bamboo. To Mark, Lucy, Tee, Amy, Peter, Susan, Arron, Josi, and May I thank you all for making this an amazing and valuable experience. To every new volunteer, I urge you to get off your chair travel to Koh Samui and work with Bamboo Project. It’s an unforgettable experience and you will rediscover yourself and find new appreciations in life.

Thank you Bamboo Project for everything. #sunsoutgunsout #bambooze #bambooproject

Teach and Beach Project

I had such an amazing experience in Koh Samui with the Bamboo team! My husband and I were both lucky enough to be a part of the project while on our honeymoon. It was absolutely the highlight of our trip! They truly make it a point to make your time worry-free and deeply fulfilling--with many laughing spells in between. :) It is nearly impossible to pick one aspect that I enjoyed the most because overall it was unforgettable. As far as the teaching project, what I enjoyed the most was being able to spend the lunch hour with the children, playing and developing relationships and rapport for the classroom. Teaching is exciting, sometimes challenging, and mostly it is silly-fun! It is so precious to see their eyes light up with understanding. Some students are slow to warm up, and others are very eager to use their voice. Either way, its a beautiful process to watch unfold, as every day is different.

I ADORE the Bamboo family because they are a genuine bunch of good people. They are naturally very inclusive as individuals and as a group. Even though we were on our honeymoon, we had a blast spending ALL of our free time with the group. (literally, ALL of our free time.) We couldnt get enough of these people! I really didnt expect to spend so much time with the rest of the team outside of the school hours. Partly because we were on our honeymoon, but also because I somewhat anticipated some sort of authority barrier. And it is quite the opposite. Jeff and I both clicked with the mangagers and other volunteers immediately. Spending time together outside of school made working together on the project all the more fun! They absolutely felt like family, and they will be friends for life. Literally, we're OBSESSED.

Thank you Bamboo for being sooo AMAZING. I hope that you bring many other people as much joy as you brought my husband and I. We ♥ y'all, forever!

Another home away from home - My bamboo family

First time volunteering abroad, was skeptical initially till I came across bamboo page. Steve's prompt response and friendliness impressed me and I immediately knew this is it. Never regret extending from a week trip to two during my planning. Volunteering at your own pace and yet not demanding where it's a healthy balance of holidaying. A very good start to non experience volunteers. Our coordinators were very helpful and accommodating to questions and requests. Definitely made some great friends and looking forward to be back again.

P.S: Mark, Lucy, Tee (my bamboo-ers) I miss you angels!!!!!

amazing experience

Never thought to be a teacher in my life but I felt that I needed to do something usefull in my travelling. Landing on Koh Samui and volunteering in the school was one of the best experience in my life. The kids are soooo cute, being an english teacher was real fun. Koh Samui is a beautiful island. Unbelievable to think that only 5 minutes from the house (which provides all the comfort) there is a beautiful and very quiet beach. But most of all the warm welcome from Lucy and Tee have made my adventure there so great! They are beautiful people who will make sure that you eat very good food :) and will make sure to show or tell you the best places to go on Koh Samui. Thank you Bamboo

Painting at Ban Laem Hoy School

This volunteering experience was absolutely great, from the first moment i was warmly welcome by May (the project coordinator) at Suvarnabhumi airport to my departure from the Bamboo Project house on Koh Samui. Everything went according to the departure guide i've received before getting in Bangkok. The coordinator took good care of all the administrative procedures (accomodation, transportation tickets, meals, temples visit), nothing was left in the unknown. On Koh Samui, Tee, very smiley, the assistant coordinator was also waiting on time with the appropriate mean of transportation to bring us to the Bamboo Project house, and he helped to get me a motorbike for a reasonable price. From there, kindly Lucy, the coordinator in charge on Samui took the lead. She precisely explained the plan of the volunteering week. Right from there, i felt like i was apart of a friendly family. At the school, it was very energetic, the kids where learning, playing all around and laughing by the time i was accomplishing my volunteer dutie of revamping the Ban Laem Hoy School. At lunch time, we had very good thai food cooked for us. The nights where free time, many things that could be done, visit to Big Buddha temple, momified monk, beaches, restaurants, fishing, etc... There is no negative points i can elaborate on regarding this project, everything was all wisely set so i could give the best efforts of myself into it. Thanks again to May, Lucy & Tee, and most of all, Steve the Co-Founder of Bamboo Project, without your dedication, i wouldn't have been able to make it.

Teach and learn

When travelling it is not always easy to get to know the culture, the lifestyle and the traditions of the country one is visiting. That is one of the points I liked the most of the teach and beach program; since I was almost all the time interacting directly with the people whether there were classes or not. I had the opportunity to learn different things of Thailand (understand what are Thai's priorities and why, learn how is a regular person day by day, how do they see the world, the kids ambitions .... ) . The coordinators are also very professional and attentive, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable and have had such a good and cool time if it wasn't because of them. I thought the program was about teaching, at the end I understood it was about learning. Thanks Bamboo!!!!

First time volunteering

Great experience helping a village school with a great guides from the Bamboo team. I get to live like how the locals do, eat what they prepare and enjoy the beautiful beaches. Friendly smiles from everyone I encountered. I'll definitely try this again when time and finances permit.

They're really helpful

They're really helpful and they want to provide, they keep giving you information that is just useful for the school. But I think it's more likely the program with the school like information like which we got for this or what exactly the things we can do with the kids. Lucy is really helpful because she knows everything and she can really speak Thai with the kids.

Generally speaking, Kuh Samoi is a beautiful paradise, you got nightlife, you got relaxing places, you got lovely people. It's beautiful, it's amazing. Georgeous! With the Bamboo, you come here, trip and beach, volunteer, makes people happy, Which is even greater. So, I couldn't say bad things about Bamboo. And plus I was just as pleased to come here make something great here like talk with the kids and make great things. I'm really happy!