The American University of Rome Header Image The American University of Rome Header Image

Study Abroad at the American University of Rome

Semester of a lifetime

Prior to living in Italy, I truly had no idea what to expect. I had never been to Europe before or away from home for more than a month. Now that my semester at AUR in Rome has come to an end, I can honestly say it was the experience of a lifetime. My apartment (only a 20 min. walk away from school) provided by AUR was located in Trastevere, which made for a real cultural immersion into the Italian lifestyle. There were Italian families living in my building and my apartment was just minutes away from the tram stop, pharmacy, and grocery store. I was forced to learn basic Italian phrases quickly and even if I didn't pronounce the words correctly, most Italians appreciated my effort in trying. Being surrounded by the history (ancient ruins, Colosseum, etc.) of Rome was a nice change from the typical college campus or suburbs that I'm used to. This made me intrigued to learn about Rome's history on my own and in the classes that I was taking at AUR. I liked the small class sizes of AUR because it gave room for a better class discussion and to know the professor a little better. I can now say that I have a better understanding of Italy thanks to my Sociology and Italian Media/Pop Culture courses.

My professors at AUR were great and super helpful. The only time I found the course-load to be a bit demanding was if I was traveling for the weekend, but it's all about how you balance your time between school and exploring Italy/other parts of Europe. My Sociology and Italian language courses had class outside of the classroom a few times, once by the Tiber River and a few times going around Monteverde, which I thought was a great way to change things up with learning. Student Life and the res grads at AUR were always there whenever I had questions. They did a great job at planning social gatherings for the students, such as cooking classes and Rome night walks during the first week we arrived. These activities helped me to meet other people and feel comfortable in my new surroundings.

My time in Rome wouldn't have been the same without the people I met. I have formed, what I can tell will be, lifelong friendships this past semester and I'm so glad I was able to live with and travel around Europe with them. Going through the initial culture shock, feelings of homesickness, and just all around adapting to a new lifestyle together really brought us closer together. Living in a foreign country together and going through the ups & downs of traveling--something only the people who I was can relate to and share certain memories. Thus, a special bond was formed. A few of the friends I've made are already planning to visit this fall and I couldn't be more excited!

Overall, if you are looking to further your academics in a city that offers so much both historically and culturally, I would highly recommend anyone to study at AUR.

Fun Study Abroad

My study abroad experience has been great so far. I really have gotten immersed in the culture throughout my time here.

Just Roaming around Rome

The American University of Rome is an excellent institution for study abroad students. Being my first time abroad, I was nervous about how I would fit in. Those nerves disappeared after my first week. The student body was so welcoming, and the staff at the Student Life office were easy to talk to and helpful. The school is very small, and I was able to form good relationships with other students and staff. The class work was exactly what I wanted, and the courses were a refreshing change to what I take at my home university. Rome is a gorgeous city with all its fantastic history and architecture. As students, we lived in apartments that gave us easy access to the public transit and to the train station for the trains to the airport and all over Italy. This was the perfect city for me, and the food was incredible. Gelato is an everyday must, but the restaurants in the city are bursting at the seams with amazing Italian dishes. For people who want an excellent balance between their education and their free adventure time, this program will give you both.