The Aegean Center for the Fine Arts participants The Aegean Center for the Fine Arts participants

The Spring Session in Paros, Greece

A formative experience

After attending the fall session at the Aegean Center in 2011, I changed my plans for the spring to be able to return for another semester. I came as a gap-year student and I learned as much about living a fulfilling life as I did about art through this program. The learning environment is unique for many reasons, including the age range of students and the passion of the teachers.

The course is run by engaged, talented professors who are practicing artists outside of the classroom. The school is small enough that instruction is personalized and allows for teachers to adapt content and pace to individual students. Classes are serious and students are expected to work both inside and outside of the classroom. Local Greeks often take classes as well and introduce the students outside of the school to the local community. I took informal classes in Greek language and dancing, and made friends with many of the locals.

Paros is a beautiful island with a great nightlife. I found the earlier winter/spring months to be particularly inspiring as the island was much quieter and more conducive to focusing on work. All of the students had basic private studio apartments that were comfortable and clean. The buildings are part of a private hotel planted with beautiful flowers and centered around a courtyard, so the area is relatively safe, yet within a 2 minute walk of the city center.

I can't recommend this program enough for serious students looking to learn about art and life with inspiring teachers in a beautiful location.

Amazing program in an amazing place

The Aegean Center was a life altering experience for me. The quality of teaching and the small class sizes made learning easy, fun, and fulfilling. The staff at the Aegean Center were friendly, helpful and wonderful. Living in Paros, Greece and learning art is the making of a magical experience. The Aegean Center has helped me find my voice as an artist and a human being living in this beautiful world.

The art school of my dreams

Having been to art school in England and been taught little about art history and techniques, stumbling upon this school, located in paradise and led by inspired, wise and talented teachers was a dream come true. I got the chance to learn wonderful unusual things-all types of etching techniques, Ancient Greek history and literature and classical a Capella singing, all in small classroom settings in a relaxed atmosphere. Although I'd be classed as strong at art before I went to the school, I didn't feel confident in what I could do because I'd never really learnt the methods behind what I did. The school gave me a lot of confidence and a strong portfolio on which I got my current job as a painter/printmaker for a leading fashion brand in the states. I also made such wonderful friends who opened my mind up to new possibilities-indeed, the reason I moved to America (that's where they all came from!). I also want to note that the 4 day week and Friday hike is perfect for productivity and wellbeing. The Friday hike is also a great way of slowing down to appreciate beauty, have the space to come up with ideas for your work and reflect on life. I couldn't recommend the school more for someone looking to enhance their drawing, painting and soul.

Classes I took at the school-painting, figure drawing, a Capella singing, ancient literature, art history, drawing.

The Wonderful Paros

Aegean Center inspired me as both an individual and an artist, and the amount of artistic skill and drive that I learned from the program in unparalleled by any other. It truly changed my life and my outlook on being an artist in this ever-changing world.

Life Changing

Without getting too wordy, going to the Aegean Center is a life-changing experience! I was lucky enough to attend the Fall and Spring sessions--each day better than the next. If you have the chance to do the Fall session with the Italy portion, do it!
The scenery, living situation, students, professors, everything--is excellent.

Life changing experience

My experience at the AEGEAN CENTER was a cultural and nurturing experience. From the moment we stepped foot on Paros we were part of a big family with non stop stimulation and educational opportunity . I would highly recommend this program to any serious open minded student of all ages.