Temple University Header Image Temple University Header Image

Temple University Rome: Semester/Academic Year Program

Spent my junior year abroad with the Temple...

Spent my junior year abroad with the Temple Program and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Would encourage anyone to serious consider.

FABULOUS!

so many people whining on past reviews! this was hands down the best experience of my life!!! people need to realize that your study abroad experience is what YOU make of it. i wouldn't for a minute expect an institute to hold my hand through the experience.if YOU want to meet italians, YOU ARE IN ROME--go ahead and meet them, no one is stopping you! there were no classes on thursdays so, if anything, temple rome ENCOURAGED students to travel and dive into italian culture.

NUMEROUS excursions are planned through classes and through the school. I was seeing a new aspect of Rome every single day---and not just the tourist side either. cooking and dancing classes were held outside of class by professors themselves. The professors are amazing, they are always willing to help and are EXTREMELY well connected. the Italian Design Art History class took me on a weekend excursion to Milan where i got in to exclusive design studios and institutions. every semester one of the professors plans a week long excursion to Tunisia (north africa) where students spend a night in the sahara desert, ride camels, and visit a palm oasis.

i made plenty of friends within the program and as well as italians. there are many american universities located in rome so if you find yourself running into drunk students i feel it has less to do with the individual institutions and more to do with american cultural values because you NEVER seen italians get wasted. the school ALWAYS encouraged students to go out and meet the locals, pointing us to various places and planning events where we can meet italian students who want to learn english and help us with italian. the dorms are located in a beautiful residential area---10 minute walk from the Vatican, 5 minutes away from the metro---40 minute well worth it walk to school. because the campus itself sits by the tiber river it's surrounded by beautiful buildings, and located about 10 minutes from the heart of rome---the piazza del popolo---every single day after class we would lay out in the sun in the villa borghese (largest park in rome, 15 minute walk from school).

this program is SO worth it, i would recommend it to anyone who is brave enough to dive into italian culture without someone holding their hand every step of the way.

Viva la Roma

I loved my stay in Rome. The city was absolutely beautiful, and the people that I met on the trip were fantastic. Many people want to take really easy classes while they are abroad, but these classes are not a cake-walk; however, I am still able to intelligently discuss the ancient history of Rome, current Italian society, and pretty much anything that I was taught while I was there. The professors are passionate about what they are teaching, and they bring life to the topics at hand.

Some of the staff members at Temple Rome may have a hard exterior (which goes along with the Italian culture), but they are all very sweet and caring when you get to know them. Without them, my experience would not have been half as great as it was while I was there.

I would, without a doubt, recommend this program.

Temple Rome is a great way to experience the eternal city.

I found Temple Rome to be a very good program for enjoying and exposing oneself to a lovely city. The staff was, for the most part, very apt and able. The location of the classrooms was excellent. I did not live in a residence, but some of the students had problems with it. Overall though, Temple Rome provided students with a great starting point for being able to get the most out of Rome in a semester's worth of time.

Changed my life

Studying at Temple Rome introduced me to a completely new world and it truly changed my life. I returned to the US searching for opportunities to stay connected to this experience. I'm now involved in helping students find equally enriching expereinces.

Both the visiting professors and full-time faculty are amazing. The Italian language teachers taught me so much, considering I started at nothing. My art courses were super engaging and we left the classroom as much as possible to take advantage of being in Rome.

Medaglie d'Oro was clean and close to school. We were very lucky to be so central in Rome, as it's hard to find affordable housing. It needed an update, as the decorations were from the '70s, but it was a suitable place to eat and sleep. You're in Rome!! Get out of your apartment!!!

It's up to each individual to take advantage of the opportunities for immersion. Sadly, many students tend to hang out with fellow program participants. However, the program provides many opprotunities to meet Italian students and engage with the community during the publc lecture series organzied by the librarian, the art exhibitions in the campus gallery, or various events hosted by the university.

Terri and Manuela are fantastic. They are the true foundation to the program. They are available to help with any student issue, big or small.

The Beauty of Rome through Temple!

Not much can compare to casually taking a stroll through the neighborhood, only to stumble upon some ruin that dates back thousands of years. And I have Temple to thank for such an experience. The beauty of Rome is unparalleled, and because of Temple Rome's awesome faculty and resources, I was able to experience it to the fullest. The only gripe I had was with the residence facilities in which we stayed (Fall 2015), but Temple had already solidified plans for relocation when I was preparing to return home.

Rome is great - the program was average but...

Rome is great - the program was average but the city more then made up for it. The program doesn't add or subtract anything from the experience. Classes were mediocre, and I was taking it pass/fail. I would recommend Rome the city, but I don't think the program tries to bring you into the culture. You live with other Americans. It wasn't a cultural exchange. There were kids on my program who played beer pong most of the time.

Temple Rome is not very well organized. ...

Temple Rome is not very well organized. The academics are terrible and the students tend to live up to the stereotype that Americans are drunk all of the time. Housing is not near the center of the city.

I would NOT recommend this program. Limited...

I would NOT recommend this program. Limited subject choice for UPenn approval, if you're coming from UPenn. The building itself is really ugly. There's not a lot of work, which lets you experience the culture. But there are better study abroad programs in Italy.

The living situation was bad. The staff...

The living situation was bad. The staff wasn't helpful. The classes were awful. In sum a lot of not particularly culturally-sensitive hard-core drinking.

The dean is terrible, the professors are...

The dean is terrible, the professors are terrible. But I did enjoy being in Rome, despite the program, which sucks. Bryn Mawr is considering discontinuing taking credits from it.

I fell in love with Rome, but not the program

I felt that because so much of the program was Temple University art students (most of whom did not speak Italian); the cultural and educational aspects of the program were lacking. I was not that impressed with the quality of the professors (with the exception of Frank Dabell) although the art history classes did take advantage of on-site lectures and weekend field trips to Florence and Naples. I did not live in the dorms, but from what I heard, they were overcrowded and felt VERY American. Despite my disappointment with the program, I still had a great semester and fell in love with Rome.

Alright program. I had one good architecture...

Alright program. I had one good architecture course. It's not one of the best programs in Rome.