TEFL Heaven participants TEFL Heaven participants

TEFL Course and Guaranteed Job with TEFL Heaven in Thailand!

• Academic Support

An experience of a lifetime!

I had been researching various TEFL certification programs/courses for 12 months prior to deciding to join TEFL Heaven. I was very wary of TEFL programs/courses as I had heard horror stories. However, upon carefully reading through the TEFL Heaven program and reviews from alumni, I was very impressed with the program synopsis, curriculum and the potential for new experiences and friendships. This program really helped to prepare me to teach English in a foreign country, as well as provide me with interesting and effective ways to deliver course content to classes. Being a teacher from Australia already, I found this to be an excellent addition to my teaching knowledge and experience.

The social aspect of the TEFL Heaven course in Krabi was amazing. Everyone in the group got along really well and we would all hit the town together and have a great time. Thanks to this program I have made many awesome new friends who I know I will be friends with for the rest of my life. The experiences I have had in Thailand so far have been incredible and I know that I would never have had these experiences if I did not participate in the TEFL Heaven Krabi program.

For those of you wondering whether or not you should join a TEFL Heaven program, my advice to you is to do it! It is an absolutely incredible experience where you can gain a 120 hour TEFL certificate and make friends at the same time! I don't know of any other TEFL program that allows you to do this.

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review December 23, 2015 at 4:42 AM

Thanks very much for a great review!

TEFL HEAVEN Training on Koh Chang

The 3 weeks I spent on Koh Chang changed my life. Not only do you get to train on one of the most beautiful island in Thailand but the friends and experiences you will make over the 3 week course is irreplaceable. The trainers are all experienced teachers and have great advice on adjusting to Thai culture and what to expect during your teaching placement. TEFL Heaven is very supportive and work with the trainee's as best they can to find a placement that is perfect for you. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is looking to get TEFL certified and have fun while doing it!

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review December 23, 2015 at 4:12 AM

Thanks for a great review, we really appreciate it!

• Teacher Support

Tefl heaven Thailand would recommend to anyone and everyone!

This is an amazing company, programme, course and life experience.
You pay less than £1000 for a tefl course, qualification, accommodation for 3 weeks and unlimited advice from your trainers who are current teachers in Thailand.
You experience teaching Thai children at an English camp and gain constant feedback on your teaching ability whilst training so that when you start your job you are fully prepared and have a constant support of friends that you met during your course that are going through exactly the same as you.

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review December 23, 2015 at 4:12 AM

Thank you so much for a wonderful review!

Thai-me in the sun

I’ve been coming back to Thailand from that great sun trap of the world, England, for the last 12 years. This however is the first time I have arrived in this great country for something other than travel and discovery of assorted new cultural golden nuggets. This was a bigger move on the whole- it involved work. After a couple of months of research into the area of TEFL, I narrowed my choices down to 2 companies, and after a final whittling, I chose TEFL Heaven.

Like everything, the balance of greatness rests upon a see-saw of experience, and this was no different. To save any breathless anticipation, I shall start by saying straight off the bat that I chose wisely and TEFL Heaven was the correct course for me to opt for. The positives outweigh the negatives, as those there negatives are more to do with eventualities after the course itself and not because of it. So it’s there I shall start.

I chose to do the TEFL Heaven course for 2 main reasons; the practical, hands on, intensive day to day learning on the job type deal on a lovely sun-kissed island, and the guarantee of a job at the end of it. Had I opted for an online course to acquire the 120 hours training necessary to get a job, I would never had done it. This way, I was completely submerged in the content with full camouflage gear and night vision goggles. And it also meant I didn’t have to go looking for a job myself! Someone else did that for me. Perfect!

The course itself was pretty intensive and packed full of content. It still seems bizarre to me that after only 3-4 weeks training we can qualify to teach English to kids, but the course was excellent at giving you a certain set of skills to deal with what was to come later. And not a Liam Neeson in sight. Our teacher and her two assistants were excellent at communicating the messages needed and it’s hard to imagine how anybody could’ve preformed their task much better. The location, in our case Koh Samui was lovely and served to make everything seem that little bit better after a hard days demeaning in the classroom. We also got an hour of Thai lessons every day to set the foundation for future rudimentary conversations about buying a handmade tea-cosy for as little money as possible. It was all part of an excellent experience with a group of people who recognised that we were all in the same boat, despite maybe needing a bigger one. This part of proceedings comes highly recommended.

Once the training is over, and the placement arrives, the game changes. This is where I would suggest people try and gain as much knowledge and advice as possible. PREPARATION is the Number 1 key aspect here. There is information in the handbook that TEFL Heaven send to you, as well as on their website, but I believe it needs to be a full, broken down list of things you and you alone will have to take care of once the wheels of the bus begin to go round and round. Ensure you have AS MUCH MONEY SAVED as possible to see you through the first month and a half or so. The expenses come thicker and faster than a stupid Olympic sprinter, so be aware. You will have to pay for visas (extensions, non-b’s and eventually work permits), rent on apartments- one month upfront as well as a deposit of the landlords choosing. In my extreme case, I had to pay 10,000 baht deposit on top of my monthly rent. Then there’s furnishings- bed sheets, blankets, cleaning products, anything else you desire. So be mindful that this all has to be shelled out after the bag loads of cash you’ll inevitably spend on booze when training, and before you get anything resembling a pay check in the first 6 weeks. And get your degree legalised in your home country. I did and it saved me hassles that some of my fellow colleagues have bemoaned because of having to go through that rigmarole here.
The school I have been placed at is wonderful. It’s a family run, private school and my colleagues, support staff and students are all excellent. Naturally this will vary from school to school- they’re not all idyllic rays of sunshine, I just got lucky. And any queries I’ve had, TEFL Heaven have been extremely co-operative and helpful, (I’m talking about you Charlie!)

As a man in his mid-thirties, it could’ve all been a disaster. Being a decade older than the rest of the pack could’ve been like waking up inside a crèche with no clothes on. But it wasn’t. So if there’s anybody out there thinking of doing this kind of thing, but is worried that they are already in the autumn years of their life in comparison to the others, don’t be. It’s well worth it, and dare I say it… rewarding.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I hope you end up as happy with it as I did.

That Samui Crewie Life

After having gone through training and my first two weeks teaching with my school, I thought it would be a good time to give a review on the course and how things went. The TEFL staff were all incredibly helpful leading up to the course and were always available to answer any questions I might have had. I have a few criticisms related to my experience but overall, most of the things that I have to say are very positive. The training staff that I had on Samui was excellent. They went above and beyond for us and it is not something we realized until talking to some of the people who trained elsewhere. I don't mean other locations through TEFL either, but through other programs besides TEFL.

I'll start with the criticisms. It costs a lot of money to do this program. Paying for the program costs, living costs leading up to your first paycheck, visa costs, border run costs to renew your visa if you have already applied for extensions, hostel costs, transportation costs and even costs just for going out with all the new friends you will have. I naïvely thought that living in Thailand would not cost me much after coming up with the money to pay for the program and that has definitely not been the case. You do make good money for Thailand standards once you start receiving paychecks from the school, but there are a lot of upfront costs that I think TEFL could do a better job making prospective trainees aware about upfront. This is by far the biggest problem that I have had with the program, and I think the sentiment has been shared among most if not all of the people I trained with. My second biggest criticism has to do with the information they provide about the visa process. I applied for a tourist visa for 60 days and that process went vary smoothly back home. Then I thought the process for getting a work visa would be easy once I had been placed with my school. Only my school doesn't help you to get work visas, they help to get non-immigrant B visas. Which last for 3 months. Which also require a minimum of 30 days still on your tourist visa to apply for (according to my school). So that meant that I had to apply for a 30 day extension or do a border run to get an additional thirty days. And it also means that in 3 months time, I will need to do that again. Granted, not every school is the same and this might only apply to my school, however it is something that seems to be common among the people who trained on my course with me.

Now that the ranting is over with, on to the things I loved about TEFL! It is very convenient having an agency that will set up a job for you coming out of training. The transition from the training location to my school was fairly seamless and once I arrived at the school, I was helped in finding accommodation near the school. As mentioned above, the TEFL staff are are super helpful and friendly. They put on a Welcome Day for us when we first arrived in Bangkok and it was a great introduction to Thai culture and put you in the same place as everyone else who would be training through TEFL at the same time. Even though TEFL Heaven might be a bit more expensive than some of the other TEFL programs, the experiences that I have had here have been priceless. The people who trained through TEFL are incredible as well. I could not have been happier to have trained with the group that I did. Being around them 24/7 for nearly a month made it impossible not to bond and become a family and I think that the environment set up by TEFL Heaven is very conducive to making lasting friendships. More so than other programs. If you are thinking about traveling abroad to teach, and TEFL Heaven is one of the courses you are considering going through, despite the few problems I have had, I would 100% recommend this course.

Broaden your horizons

This program gave me unique, incredible life experiences that I will never forget! The location of the course was tropical and relaxing, and the course itself was fun and informative. Priceless and worthwhile.

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review December 23, 2015 at 4:43 AM

Thanks for the great review. We loved "priceless and worthwhile". We're glad you had a great time.

One I'll never forget

The TEFL course was a wonderful experience that prepared me a ton for teaching English in Thailand. Even after teaching for a month I still refer to my notes from the course for reminders about teaching techniques, games/activities, and so forth. The staff was all super friendly, fun, knowledgeable, and helpful with everything we needed. Weekends during the course were so much fun and I loved that the trainees as well as the staff all felt like a big family. I'm so glad I decided to go through TEFL Heaven and couldn't imagine getting my TEFL certificate any other way.

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review December 23, 2015 at 4:14 AM

Thanks for a fantastic review, we really appreciate you taking the time and are so glad you had a wonderful experience.

Training- great! Placement- great! School- not so much

I absolutely loved the training, I can find not fault in it at all. The trainers and other trainees were absolutely amazing. The only downside as been going from excited about my placement and looking forward to putting everything I had learnt in to practice to getting to my placement and feeling that the school would not notice if the students did not have English lessons. They seem more interested in shower off foreign teachers but not fussed about the students learning. However, having said this I love teaching and the students really are great. I am placed somewhere that English is not used so it is reflected in the school. Maybe a warning would be useful for new teachers.
The only other frustration is- I wish I was asked for a preference! Anaban, pratom, mathyam!

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review January 19, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Thank you so much for your review, we really appreciate it and we're so glad to hear you loved the training and teaching your students. We're sorry to hear you felt the school could and should have been more interested in the students learning. As with all countries, you always seem to get some schools that are less invested in the needs of their students then others, and so I'm sorry that you experienced that, but it sounds like you made the most of it and gave them your best, which is definitely the most important thing! The Thai government is working hard to educate schools to understand more fully the importance of learning English and the impact it has on the lives of individuals as well as the country as a whole. It's definitely going in the right direction!

Another trait that is probably more typical in Thai schools is 'showing off' their English teachers, as having native English speaking teachers in a school is still seen as a sign of a schools success and prestige. It usually takes a little bit of getting used to as a teacher, but it's pretty normal after a while.

With regards to the age group you teach, we would love in a ideal world to give people a preference where this is concerned, but due to the volume of teachers that come through the TEFL Heaven programs it's pretty much impossible to offer that kind of choice, and so we don't offer it and are quite clear about that from the start as we're simply unable to do it. We do however take on board your feedback so thank you for giving it.

We're really glad that overall you had a really positive experience with TEFL Heaven and hope that the time you spent teaching in Thailand will be a springboard for a more adventurous and exciting future!

• Academic Support

Prepares you for teaching but fails to knock some out of holiday mode

Note: I started my Thai journey in 2012. I did an online TEFL prior to this but felt I needed actual classroom experience before diving in. This program provided exactly that, you learn the theory and practise your lessons in front of your classmates. The teachers are professional and the school placement is very well organised. I especially loved the Thai lessons! Unfortunately the teachers are fellow alumni of the course that only have a minimum of one term's experience so they do impart some bad advice when it comes to living there (keep in mind they've only lived in a few places and you could be sent anywhere in Thailand). They're professional on classes but that's where it stops, once the learning is over they want to party just as hard as the other youths that make their way here. My main issue is that this program, like so many others, fails to highlight that you're in Thailand to do a job. It's not a massive holiday, you're in for a 9-5, 5 day a week job. You're going to be in a real town, with real people, living a real life.

The location is pleasant, I opted for Koh Chang, a relatively unspoilt island. There's not much to do around the resort but a 30 minute walk along the beach will take you to a lovely small town that's got plenty to explore. Around the resort there's plenty of wildlife, look for the foraging monkeys first thing in the morning!
I felt the program prepared me well for life as a teacher in Thailand, the staff at TEFL Heaven are really friendly and helpful. It's such a shame they couldn't be with me throughout my whole adventure teaching in Thailand. After my course I was handed off to the most disorganised agency I've ever come across. Still, I got my guaranteed job and loved where I was placed.
I'd strongly recommend this to anyone looking for a unique life experience; TEFL Heaven is just the start of an exciting job in teaching, with adventure on the side (not the other way around). One tip when you get to your placement; don't say no to anything, you'll wind up seeing parts of Thailand and ways of life that no tourist will ever see!

• TEFL Heaven responded to this review February 25, 2016 at 6:31 AM

Thank you so much for the honest review, we really appreciate it. We're very glad to hear you would strongly recommend the program to those looking for a unique life experience.

We just wanted to mention a couple of things in reference to a few of your comments. We're glad that your attitude towards teaching was a professional one, and that you were able to clearly distinguish that whilst the experience should be fun and adventurous, it's definitely not a holiday and requires focus, dedication and 100% commitment to the job and your professional responsibilities. As an organisation we work hard to uphold very high standards in terms of who we recruit, which is why unlike most other TEFL organisations who will recruit without even having spoken to a candidate, we require a Skype interview with all our candidates, in order to get to know them and most importantly understand their motivation. We regularly turn people away because we feel their motives are questionable or they do not meet our standards in some other form. I'm sorry that you felt that the course didn't kick the holiday out of some, however this is the first time anyone has ever given that feedback and so we take that onboard. We just wanted you to know that ensuring people come on the program for the right reasons is a high priority for TEFL Heaven.

The last thing we just wanted to mention was the experience of the trainers. As an organisation we like to recruit our trainers preferably from our pool of alumni as we have found that the trainees and trainers are able to make a better connection and the feedback has always been that trainees get a lot of benefits from being taught by those who have the experience of having been through our programs and taught in the relevant country. For our assistant trainers we are happy to recruit those who have one terms experience as we have found that even after that duration, they have a lot to offer, and the positive feedback we always get about them is a reflection of that. With regards to the main trainers, they have to have a minimum of 1 years teaching experience in the country, though more is preferred and more common. This is in addition to meeting multiple other requirements. We are very happy with our trainers and the feedback we've had from the trainees has always been fantastic when asked specifically about the trainers.

Thanks again for leaving a really valuable review and we hope that you'll continue to explore and experience the world using your TEFL qualification and experience.