TeachingChile Header Image TeachingChile Header Image

Teach in Chile: English to University Students

• Teacher Support

TeachingChile was a great help

Their assistance took the stress out of finding work in Chile, made the process of arrival and documentation easy and simple, and the orientation/practical information they provided was excellent. They were friendly, professional, and I always felt they were ready to answer any questions I had about navigating the city, getting set up to live here, etc. Being able to start my stay in Chile with a great group of TeachingChile participants meant there was an automatic support network, too. I'm very glad I chose to work with them!

Highly recommended program

For someone that is looking for an experience abroad, I would highly recommend this program! Living in a foreign country has taught me more than I could have ever imagined. It has been such a great way to expand my views. The people, the culture, and the experiences have all opened me up to new ways of thinking and have given me pieces of myself. This experience was made much easier with the help of Teaching Chile. When all is said and done, the program is more than worth the cost. Having the help with the documentation requirements before and after arrival, resources and contacts for all of your questions throughout your stay, monthly updates, and mid-semester reunions, it's all been great! Thanks Teaching Chile!

• Teacher Support

Extremely helpful staff and wonderful location

Bruce and Andrea have been extremely helpful. I had no problems upon my arrival dealing with immigration, getting the proper paperwork completed, and obtaining my Chilean ID (RUT card). Bruce has even gone out of his way to help with a number of issues unrelated to TeachingChile such as helping me receive mail from the abroad and loaning me money when my debit card was stolen. A truly helpful and generous individual. The hostel where I stayed my first month was one of the best experiences of my time in Chile. It's a huge, charming hostel in a great location where you will likely meet many of the other new TeachingChile members and forge friendships. I could not have had that experience were it not for TeachingChile.

A successful teaching experience

Andrea and Bruce are fantastic friends, and coordinators to have before, during and after your time in Chile. They were professional, available to help at a moment's notice, and extremely knowledgeable. I'm grateful for my year teaching in this amazing country, and thankful for their help in making it a success.

Breathtaking!

What I loved most about TeachingChile was the directors. Andrea and Bruce were very welcoming, responsive, and helpful. They totally understand that everyone has different needs and were pretty hands-on as well as deal with even on the smallest of problems of some of the other participants. They also know and understand that others may not need the same level of attention and let them do their own things helping participants become more independent. I went through the program where there were months that I didn't speak to either of them, but they were readily available at that time when I needed to ask them something which made the program the best. I had minor problems which had nothing to do with either Bruce nor Andrea, and not even with TeachingChile, but I knew that should I have needed their help, they would have been more than happy to help.

My Chile experience has been breathtaking. I love this country and highly recommend TeachingChile to anyone searching for a teach abroad program that has a structured support system and allows participants to independently immerse in the culture and the place. There were a lot of amazing experiences that made me and a number of other participants decide to stay longer in Chile.

TeachingChile at the Crossroads

I discovered TeachingChile at a crossroads in my life when I had just finished studying at the university and was uncertain as to what direction to take my life. While I had previously visited Chile, I was not sure about TeachingChile at first, because my only point of reference was their internet presence. When I saw that they had a U.S. telephone number, I decided to give them a call and see what sort of “human factor” I would find. I ended up talking with Bruce for a long time, and decided that TeachingChile was a sound established company. I was note sure at first about the placement fees, as they were a bit difficult to cover for me, but in considering all the services and support they obtained for me, I can now say it was more than worth the price.

I had noticed at the time that there were other programs that were offering volunteer teaching experiences without placement fees, which offered small monthly stipends, but I elected to go the TeachingChile route, feeling that it would be a fuller, more maturing process to receive full pay for my work and then make my own economic decisions (housing, food, etc.) rather than having an organization decide these things for me.

Throughout the process of preparing to go to Chile and teach, I was pleasantly surprised to encounter Bruce and/or Andrea at the other end of the phone, ready to help and answer the most mundane of questions.

This help and support continued as I arrived to Chile and began working, answering all of my doubts and questions. While my previous experience in Chile had prepared me culturally, I was still unexperienced in the world of Chilean labor.

Participating in the TeachingChile program was one of the most positive and important decisions I made in my life. The initial uncertainty paid off – TeachingChile turned out to be a wonderful experience that helped immensely in my career as an educator. Looking back, I don’t think I could have done it without TeachingChile’s support. Thanks, Bruce and Andrea!

An incredible organisation

I just wanted to say a big thanks for everything this year! You have an incredible organisation.

From the beginning you were so friendly, efficient and organised. When I arrived in Chile clueless and frightened, you made the transition easy for me.

I had an incredible year and I've recommended your program to everyone I meet! I have a feeling I might be returning to Chile in future…it's captured all our hearts!

Okay, well thanks again for everything. I'm just back in Ireland and it's a really strange feeling! But i'll adapt anyway! Besos.

A good opportunity

I have just returned from Vina del Mar in Chile. I taught English at DUOC and my placement was organised by TeachingChile. TeachingChile participants received a training session for 10 days in Santiago before moving to the various sites.

This provides a good opportunity to meet your fellow teachers and subsequently have a contact in many of Chile's cities.

Once on site, all recruited teachers are treated comparably to local teachers. Local teachers are paid by the hour and the wages are low.

I found the TeachingChile program flexible in terms of accommodation and on-going obligations. Bruce Thompson (the TeachingChile coordinator) was efficient and helpful. He organised my placement, visa and sorted out any issues I had with DUOC during my stay.

The advantage of going through one of these organisations is the access to places like DUOC and the stamp of approval your application gets. It is difficult to get a student or work visa in Chile from abroad without an institution to sponsor you and for me this justified a good part of the fee.

On a lighter note, the TeachingChile placement allowed me to travel from Vina to Ushuaia and back through Argentina in a beaten up old Nissan. We had a great group of 10 English teachers in the Vina/Valpo area and together with our Chilean friends it seemed like one long party in those colourful bars that hang on the hills overlooking the bay of Valparaiso.

• Teacher Support

Go above and beyond for the teachers

Bruce, I just want to thank you for all of your help with my transition to Chile. I think that you and your colleague, Andrea, go above and beyond for the teachers you bring to Chile.

There is a big difference between people who care and those who don't. It is very evident that you really care about the schools which you work with and the teachers you recruit.

I want to wish you and TeachingChile the best of luck in the future. I know that with the care and dedication you show, you will have no problem keeping this program a success. Also, if you ever need a reference for an incoming teacher, please feel free to contact me. I would gladly recommend this program to anyone who is interested.

It was perfect for me

Having had visited Chile on a previous trip, I had a great desire to return not simply as a traveller, but in a capacity that would allow me to learn about the people, culture and community – first hand. After exhaustive searches both online and via organisations, I came upon TeachingChile.

Upon contacting TeachingChile I was instantly impressed with their professional, up front and honest manner. Once I made the decision to go with the organisation I was led through what can be a painful visa process with the utmost ease. From the first contact I made from home in Sydney to the last day of semester I felt secure in everything that TeachingChile provided for me.

The position I was granted teaching in the south of Chile was perfect for me. Not only was I teaching middle class Chileans and experiencing everyday life, but I was also living alongside some of the world's most beautiful nature reserves, mountains, rivers, lakes and beaches. As a keen surfer and lover of the outdoors I found myself with very little to complain about. Apart from the water – it's pretty bloody cold.

• Teacher Support

i highly recommend this program to anyone considering such an incredible opportunity

Teaching English to high school students in Santiago was by far one of the most rewarding experiences of my lifetime thus far, and I could not be more grateful to have acquired this job post-graduation.

The challenges and joys of teaching students a foreign language are incomparable to anything else.

The TeachingChile program is incredibly well-organized due to the tremendous efforts of Bruce Thompson and Andrea Rodriguez. They were both so helpful and available before and during my time in Chile. I cannot thank them both enough for their personal attention and concern for every aspect of my stay, from getting around and living in Santiago, to planning weekend trips, to genuine moral support.

Throughout my five months living 6000 miles away from home, never once did I feel like I didn't have someone available in the same city to ask questions about anything. I taught 5 days a week, but spent the weekends and national holidays experiencing the gorgeous country outside Santiago.

One of the greatest experiences was piling in a little white rental car with an Aussie, a Brit, an American, and a tattered Lonely Planet book. Paving our own paths through 500 miles of Chilean countryside and coastline, we attempted the use of our sub-par Spanish, discovered many isolated parts of Chile, and immersed ourselves in Chilean culture for a very memorable holiday weekend.

Teaching English is one of the best ways and reasons to travel, and I would highly recommend this program to anyone considering such an incredible opportunity!

• Teacher Support

I had a wonderful experience

Thank you so much for bringing me to Chile. Your program is so wonderful and I never doubted the authenticity of the program.

I always had complete confidence that I would be taken care of in the "foreign land" from the very beginning. I have had a wonderful experience and could not have asked for a better method to get me here.

I wish all the luck to TeachingChile and all of its future projects. It has been a pleasure, and thank you again.

• Teacher Support

I cannot thank you enough

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. Up through the end you guys were a good support system and I really appreciate all of the work that you put in.

I had the saddest sendoff at the school and gave more hugs than I can remember. The principal gave Catelyn and I awards for "dedicacion y entrega" and when they left the stage the kids swarmed in for a giant group hug. It was beautiful and I still feel so much love for them that it was really hard to leave.

I had an amazing time in Los Andes and at San Sebastian. I think anyone who ends up there is lucky.

Thank you for giving me the chance and the opportunity. I am now home and settled in, but I just wanted to thank you one more time. The relationships I formed while in Chile are incredible and I am already thinking about saving money to return and visit.

It is all possible because of you. I cannot thank you enough and I hope to stay in touch through future adventures.