TeachingChile Header Image TeachingChile Header Image

Teach in Chile: English to Adult Learners in an Institute

Helpful staff

Bruce and his team take very good care of the teachers and are always available to help. They provide a great service and are clearly passionate about what they do; you will be in very safe hands with them.

An amazing program

TeachingChile was an amazing program to choose for my year in Chile teaching English. Bruce was nothing but helpful from the very, very beginning and continued to answer any questions and offer advice/help throughout my time in Santiago. The program does exactly as it promises and I am lucky to have a support system this far away from home in the United States!

A fantastic program

TeachingChile is a fantastic program that allows you to teach and learn while broadening your perspectives by living in another country. I am very grateful that I did this program and Bruce and Andrea have always been extremely helpful with any questions or needs that I have had.

I decided to go to Chile to improve my Spanish and learn more about the school system in the country. I was placed in Melipilla, a small town outside of Santiago, so I was really able to get to know my campus and students. My Spanish fluency increased quickly due to the constant interaction with students and people in that area. Being a small town, everyone knew where the "gringo" house was and they were all very welcoming and kind during my time there.

The year I initially spent in Chile sparked some academic interests that I am currently pursuing and Bruce has provided continual help. Since leaving Chile in 2009, I have been back to Chile twice, to visit friends and to work. I plan on returning to do my dissertation research and cannot wait for that opportunity.

TeachingChile is a program that offers people with different interests a variety of opportunities. Whether you are looking to travel, improve your Spanish skills, or investigate an academic interest, TeachingChile can provide you with the stepping-stones you need in order to make those things happen.

• Teacher Support

It's great to be back but I also miss Chile already

I'm writing to let you both know that I'm back in Montreal, Canada! I came back last Friday. It's great to be back but I also miss Chile already! :) I want to thank you both for your support and help over the past year and for this incredible experience. I really enjoyed my time in Santiago and my teaching experience at Duoc Maipu. Thanks and maybe you'll see me again in Santiago at some point! I'd love to visit in a few years.

I enjoyed my experience

I have been meaning to write to you over and over but things have just been so busy with the transition back home!

I just wanted to express my gratitude and appreciation for everything you did for us... and just tell you how much I enjoyed my experience this past year. I couldn't have asked to meet better people within and outside of the program, and I learned so much as a teacher and as a person.

Thank you for everything you do and happy new year!

• The School/Placement

An amazing level of support

First of all, thank you Bruce and Andrea for providing such an amazing level of support through TeachingChile. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t mind figuring things out on the fly and was a bit hesitant to coordinate my overseas experience through an organized program.

My first conversations over the phone with Bruce gave me a positive feel for the benefits of the program but it wasn't until I arrived in Chile that I realized the program was worth it's weight in gold. From the incredibly helpful and comprehensive welcome packet I received upon arrival to assistance with many un-foreseen issues that surfaced, the TeachingChile program was nothing but a blessing and a lifesaver and truly has enhanced my experience as an ESL teacher in Santiago, Chile.

I would recommend the TeachingChile program to anyone without a single hesitation and I have recommended it to several people already. In addition to the support and organization of Bruce and Andrea, it also has been terrific to meet and become friends with the other program participants. It's like having an instant network of friends who can relate on the same level due to the shared experiences- it's fantastic.

Great Experience

Without all of your effort, this exchange would have been impossible. Thanks so much.

A life changing experience

I am back in the United States now and I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to teach English in Chile for the past year. It was a life changing experience and it was very comforting that you both were always there for me. Thanks again!

• The School/Placement

Teaching English in Chile was, for me, a positive and valuable experience.

I was placed at a professional institute in Valparaìso, which I found to be a good fit: since I did not have a particularly strong level of Spanish prior to arrival, teaching intermediate and advanced English classes to adult students was really the best situation I could have hoped for. And my experience of the city itself -- the architecture, the scenic (and often necessary) gondola rides, the cobblestones, outdoor markets, my house (a beautiful Spanish-style character house with gardens, dogs, a wood stove, and avocado trees), and of course, the beaches -- was really quite wonderful.
TeachingChile was really helpful, not only in finding me such an agreeable (and well-suited) placement, but in helping with the difficult transitions involved in living and working in another country: they were extremely helpful with the visa process, and offered assistance finding accommodation; they provided a lot of opportunities to meet other teachers, which created a valuable support system; and, through my school, they even offered free Spanish lessons for the teachers who, like me, came to Chile with a less-than "basico" proficiency level.

Some final brass tacks for anyone considering the program:

1. Depending on your placement, the money’s really not bad. I couldn’t live on what I was making there in Vancouver, but in Chile it was more than enough to (fairly frequently) go on weekend trips into the Andes, take holidays in Valdivia, rent beach cabañas, and even bring a bit back (actually, a fair amount).
2. Research where you want to live. TeachingChile is really good at making sure you get your first or second placement choice, and making sure your city (or village) fits your lifestyle is a really important consideration.
I might not have been as happy in a small "pueblo", bracing the southern winters, or even in a big city like Santiago as I was in Valparaìso.
3. The flexibility of doing one or two terms can be pretty important, and really quite rare with overseas teaching contracts. Living and working abroad is, frankly, not for everyone, but 4-5 months is really not that long if, for whatever reason, it’s not working for you. As much as I enjoyed my time there, I decided to leave after a single term to go back to grad school.
That I was able to do that without having to break a contract, miss out on any paycheques, or put myself in my school’s bad books was a factor that I can’t overstress the importance of.

All in all, a set of positive and formative experiences that I would highly recommend.