Teaching House - A better class of teachers Header Image Teaching House - A better class of teachers Header Image

Teaching House CELTA - USA Multiple locations

Teaching House Chicago CELTA course

The experience of going through CELTA at Teaching House Chicago was incredibly rewarding and one of the hardest things that I've done in my life (even though I have a university degree.) The trainers and the administration were fantastic. The students that sign up for free classes at TH Chicago are amazing. I've learned so much getting to teach them.

Definitely worth it

I attended the Teaching House CELTA course in New York City. Cambridge University has a high standard for giving certifications in their name, so it's no surprise that this was one of the most intense courses I've taken. However, the course structure and material was excellent, and the teachers were top notch. After the course, I definitely felt ready to step into any foreign teaching assignment, and the continued support is great as well. The fact that some assignments around the world specifically require a CELTA certification (and will not accept any other TEFL certificate, even if one already has a bachelor degree) makes the CELTA extremely valuable. The best part of the course was teaching real students every other day, so it gave us the experience of teaching different levels of learners, and learning how to handle different challenges that come up during the course of teaching. I definitely recommend Teaching House's CELTA program for anyone contemplating a TEFL course.

Teaching House ESL certification course

Great course! I am an independent consultant and teach quite a bit for clients so I thought I probably had a good foundation for taking this course. Other than the skill of getting up in front of a room, most everything else was new and different. I'm so glad I took the course. They thoroughly taught and structured real practice for teaching ESL. It was intense AND invaluable. I didn't have plans to go abroad. My intention was always to use it as a volunteer both now and later on in retirement.

It's really remarkable what it led to. I am teaching a class for non-English speakers who have cancer. I spent a couple of months developing the program which is part Cambridge-style ESL, part patient advocacy, and part using the participant's native language with a singular goal of helping people communicate through the process of managing their illness. I truly am grateful for Teaching House and the role it has played in helping me create this very unique program.

Exceptional quality in CELTA training

The Teaching House CELTA was by far the best educational experience of my life, in terms of professional development. The structure of the course, which combined practical "real world" classroom teaching from day 2, with the theory of teaching English was outstanding. The staff were professional, generous and supportive. I now teach law in an Australian university, but I still use the classroom management techniques that I learnt at CELTA as the foundation for my day-to-day teaching skills. I cannot rate the course highly enough. An online course could never provide the same depth of understanding and experience as the University of Cambridge CELTA. Thank you again Teaching House NYC!

CELTA certification

Doing this course was the best decision I ever made. We jumped right into teaching and were taught practical teaching methods that worked. It was helpful also to watch other teachers teach because you learn a lot from them as well. Since this course I have gone on to teach at multiple schools abroad, as well as pursue a MA degree in TESOL. But quite honestly this hands on experience was more valuable to me than some of the theory driven graduate courses I've had. If choosing a quick way to get certified, I would definitely opt for Teaching House CELTA certification over any online TEFL course.

Can you imagine?

Here I was, a twenty-five year veteran of teaching--middle school, high school, college--mostly language and literature, some social science, who really wanted the skill set necessary to teach TEFL. And what do I do but drop a hefty fee to take the CELTA 10-week night course and pray I hadn't made a mistake.

Well, mistake is wasn't. Rather, it was the best thing I could have done. The teachers (Kim & Sharon) were great, uplifting, rigorous, challenging, comprehensive (enough descriptive adjectives yet?), but mostly thoroughly thorough (Yes, redundant, but important). We finished the course on St. Paddy's night and two of our colleagues left within the week--one to Costa Rica, and one to Saudi Arabia. Two weeks later another grad sent a post that they needed more CELTA-trained teachers where she worked locally, was anyone interested?

As for myself, with a full-time job I began volunteer teaching at a nearby university, collecting 60 contact hours last Spring, 40 last summer, and I will continue this fall with an eye to being able to use this meager start to pursue the listings for some plum overseas appointments real soon!

Teaching House-Chicago review

Earning my CELTA at Teaching House in Chicago was amazing! The staff at TH was knowledgeable, understanding, easy to talk to, helpful, etc. I cannot say enough about them. The program was tough, but I left feeling confident that I could either handle, or figure out how to handle, any EFL situation. Their process of being put in front of a class of actual students, on our second day, was terrifying, exhilarating, and the most efficient way of teaching us what it means to be a teacher. If you have the chance, you should go for it.

It really is worth it

A Teaching House CELTA is expensive and difficult, but it is worth it. For any job short of university teaching, the certificate itself will automatically get you to at least to the interview stage. It really is like having a Harvard degree. More importantly, though, the course is excellent. They cover everything, from the linguistics to class planning and management. The focus is on teaching you how to become a better teacher. It may take you a year or two to practice what you learned and get good at it, but CELTA gives the tools to do so. With my Teaching House CELTA, I taught for two years at AEON in Japan and am now making the same money teaching a self-developed curriculum part-time. And I know that with my experience and CELTA certificate I can get any teaching job that does not require a master’s degree. Do it. You won’t regret it.

CELTA review

CELTA was challenging training in learning more about teaching adults. The trainers were very supportive during this intensive course. I am thankful to have had this experience and would recommend this to anyone interested in teaching adults.

Amazing experience

I studied at Teaching House Atlanta in 2014. The preparation for the getting the Certificate is hard because we spent a month studying pretty much all day. But it is worth it. I learned a lot and met interesting people. CELTA was very important for my teaching CV. I'm very happy with my investment.

You're in good hands with Teaching House

Very sensitive, knowledgeable, full of energy, more than I can ask for for best tutors. They know how to guide us through every step of the course. Know how to push when need to be pushed and support when need to be supported.

I learned a lot with Teaching House

Lauren and Paula were both wonderful. There were tough when they needed to be, but also did what they could to help us. I've appreciated learning from both of them.

Awesome experience

Both our trainers were amazing in teaching and modeling the techniques. I leave the program confident that I received top quality training. A huge thank you to Lauren Harrington. Beyond her generous skills, she also demonstrated incredible support only a good teacher knows how to give--She's the authentic model to superb teaching with dignity and humanity.

I really recommend you to train with Teaching House

Both tutors were dedicated to our success and made an effort to ensure that the course went well. They responded quickly to changes in plans due to limited numbers of students or a change in the CELTA participant number.

• Academic Support

It was beyond my expectations!

Natalie and David were beyond excellent. They were extremely encouraging, effective in their teaching ability and provided a wealth of knowledge from their vast experience. Their capacity to maintain the most optimistic and joyful attitude throughout this demanding process was brilliant! I would never have made it through the course without their encouragement.

• Academic Support

Thank you Teaching House!

The tutors did an excellent job. Both of them were very knowledgeable and supportive. I am very appreciative of the support and guidance they provided me.

Really helped me a lot!

Overall the course was a wonderful learning experience. It is a very challenging course, but it has helped me grow as a teacher and as a person.

I am happy that I did and it was with Teaching House

Shannon was much easier to follow and understand. She's very logical and linear in her approach to teaching. For me, Julie was a little tougher to follow, as she's more of an abstract thinking and presenter. Still, I very much appreciate her. I think it's good to have different styles of teachers in the course, because we all learn differently and it's important to learn to work with different styles.

Very impressed

I was so impressed with the quality, experience, and enthusiasm of both of our tutors. This was money well-spent, and I'm so glad I took the course. I learned so much, and I feel so much more ready for my next ESL job!

Nice memories made

Zach and Kim worked amazingly well together. Their individual styles came out easily, yet they were always in harmony about what we were doing and what we needed to achieve.

100% you will never regret

Chris and Jennifer were a big reason why this course was outstanding. They are incredible teachers in their own right and it's easy to respect them. I have improved a great deal and its in large part to their support and feedback.

I enjoyed my experience with Teaching House

I really enjoyed my experience of taking this CELTA course. Our teacher trainers, Giovanni Licata and Mary Whisenhunt were phenomenal. Both of their teaching styles were passionate and engaging. They were both very instrumental in giving me guidance, inspiration, and support during the course. I learned a lot from them.

• Academic Support

It was a challenge but so worth it!

The course is definitely a challenge and pushes each trainee to perform to the best of their ability. It can be overwhelming at times, but it the tasks and teaching practices are doable. It is a crash course in teaching, but it gives the trainees the tools necessary to go out and teach.

Incredible experience

This has been an incredible experience. It has been difficult at times, but overall I have learned a great deal. I am grateful to Jennifer and Chris for their hard work and constant willingness to share their abundant knowledge with us.

I love the staff!

I loved that Chris and Jen used the Socratic approach in both input sessions and feedback. They were tough but fair. Because of their guidance, I am a better teacher now and will continue to grow as I practice more!