Syracuse University Header Image Syracuse University Header Image

Syracuse University Madrid Center

A fantastic experience aside from the program itself.

My experience in Madrid was, to use the most cliche line possible, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The traveling, cultural immersion, and social experiences were unreal. I would recommend it to anyone. That being said, the program administration left a lot to be desired. They didn't communicate well with us. There was excessive paperwork and little give-and-take on the part of the SU Madrid program. And this isn't even mentioning the classes, which were terrible. Of my five classes, four were taught by people who were completely incompetent. Three of my top five all-time least favorite classes in college I took in Spain. The professors were sometimes boring, sometimes flat-out mean and were the least bit accommodating. Sometimes it simply seemed like they just didn't know what they were talking about. The bottom line is: it might have been the best four months of my life, but thats in no way thanks to the SU Madrid program.

SU Abroad Madrid surpassed expectations.

I was really please with the structure of the SU abroad program in Spain. The mandatory 2-week traveling seminar at the beginning of the semester, as well as my placement with a host family, was instrumental in my immersion and better understanding of the language. Classes were average but program staff was incredibly helpful and loved bu all. HIGHLY recommend overall.

SU Madrid

The Syracuse University abroad program in Madrid, Spain was an amazing experience. Classes really weren't too challenging and with Fridays off we had a lot of time to travel. I had a great experience staying with a host family, as did all of my other friends. The city itself is amazing and there is always something fun to do to immerse yourself in the culture.

Excellent

I absolutely loved SU Madrid. My time there was absolutely the best four months of my life. From the traveling seminars at the start of the program to the school led events during the very last week, I enjoyed everything. I loved my host family, and I know most of my friends did too. I really enjoyed the classes I took during which we took many field trips throughout the city. The dedication on the part of the program to really making sure that everyone enjoys themselves was really evident. The staff was so friendly and helpful. There really is not one thing that I did not like. I highly recommend this program to anyone.

A must experience

A must-do for anyone remotely interested in studying abroad. Having coming into Spain never previously been to Europe, and knowing no Spanish, the experience was immensely surreal. The locals, host-families, and SU Abroad staff are extremely friendly and do as much as possible to ensure that you have the time of your life. For the size of Madrid, it is an extremely clean and safe city. The academic center is very comfortable and managing my studies was never an issue. Studying abroad in Madrid is regarded as my best decision that I've made while at Syracuse University so far.

My abroad experience was different than I expected.

My abroad experience was much different than I expected because I only spent 6 weeks in Madrid, as opposed to an entire semester. Overall the program was great. I wish the administrators had told us about deadlines and the like farther in advance. I often felt I was informed too late, especially before I even left for Spain. I loved my professor and the class. We took "field trips" to places that directly related to what we were studying. My host mom was really nice. She hosts students year-round. She did not speak any English which was exactly what I wanted. My only regret is that I did not spend an entire semester to further integrate myself in the culture and allow myself more time to travel within Europe.