Surf Strong Co Header Image Surf Strong Co Header Image

Help local youth and enjoy fun in the sun with Surf Strong!

Best Experience!

I had the opportunity to stay at Surf Strong for 10 days this May. It was one the best experiences of my life. Both Sarah and Jerson, the co-founders of the program, are extremely kind, caring, and funny people. I would recommend staying at Surf Strong with Sarah and Jerson to get the most out of your experience. While I was there we worked at a local youth center to help El Salvador children learn English. Surf Strong partnered with the program, so that they also could give these children an opportunity to learn how to surf. Jerson is an amazing surf instructor, and he helps you learn how to teach the children. Everything about the program and the trip was a ton of fun. The beach Playa San Blas is beautiful, as is most of El Salvador. Both the beach, and the local town, La Libertad, were very safe and fun! Sarah and Jerson are such easy going and kind people, it is hard not to make a personal connection with them during your stay! I had an amazing time, and I hope to return again soon, and watch the program grow!

Amazing Opportunity!

I spent 10 days with Surf Strong and I wish I could have been there longer. I was able to go to a place I've never been before, help children and make an impact in their lives, and make friendships. We taught kids the basics of surfing and English, all while having a fun time. When we weren't with the kids we were able to help Sarah, the program director, with things around the grounds and we had plenty of free time, as well. The other volunteers and I went on a hike to some beautiful waterfalls, rode horses on the beach, and did a ropes course in the jungle. My time with Surf Strong is something I'll never forget and I truly encourage anyone to volunteer.

Great Experience

This was an amazing opportunity to help out the local kids in the area, but also have a ton of fun at the same time. I went with a few friends for 10 days and we had plenty of time to enjoy the sun, learn to surf, ride horses on the beach, go to a ropes course and go cliff jumping at a local waterfall. We also got to help with the kids, working with them in the water as well as teaching them English. The people you meet are awesome and the kids are adorable. Overall it was a fantastic experience and I hope to do it again. I highly recommend working with Surf Strong

Amazing time at surf strong

My experience at Surf Strong was more than I could have asked for. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from El Salvador given the country's reputation as a dangerous place but I found that I was able to experience the culture in a more authentic way than staying in a regular hostel, contribute to a program that is gaining momentum and making a difference in the community, and also enjoy my time there taking advantage of the surf, the sunsets, and the hammocks. Sarah and Jerson are extremely welcoming and take great care of you while you're there and Sarah is also an excellent cook. As a volunteer, you get to work with kids and help create games and programming. Surf Strong is still a young program and it's great to see where they're going and make an impact. The local kids are so full of energy and the language barrier I experienced not being a spanish speaker made no difference when playing and laughing with them. The house is also a beautiful and relaxing place, right on the water, with hammocks abound and a lovely dog named blue. I would go back in a second if I could and will hopefully be back to visit everyone as soon as I can! I highly recommend volunteering here if you want to truly experience the culture and people of El Salvador while enjoying the beach as well.

The best place, the best people the best experience

Volunteering with surf strong in El Salvador has been probably the best month of my life. I wanted to work with a program where I felt I could actually make a difference, gain a cultural experince, and be able to surf. I have been able to achieve all of these things and so much more. Although El Salvador gets a bad reputation for danger I have felt completely safe while here. San blas, the location of surf strong is a small beach town. The accommodation is really nice and as a volunteer all your meals are included. The food is amazing and they were willing to accomadate my allergies and always make sure I was fed! As a volunteer my hours were flexible, I was able to create some of my own projects like making games for the kids, and work directly with the children. There's always work but there's also time to explore the country. And if you do decide you want to explore el Salvador is truly beautiful. Since I've been here I've been on many breathing taking hikes including volcanos and waterfalls. And of course I've gotten to surf a ton. There are free board rentals with short boards for more advanced surfers and long boards and lessons for people wanting to try it out. The founders of surf strong are an American and el salvadoran so since you are staying with a local you get to meet a lot of locals, learn about the culture and practice your Spanish! The owners are two of the most amazing, funny and inspiring people I've met. I am so lucky to have gotten to live with them and I now consider them my life long friends. There's a lot of volunteer opportunities out there but this one is truly special!