Sud-Ouest French Institute 64 - SOFI 64 Header Image Sud-Ouest French Institute 64 - SOFI 64 Header Image

Learn French in Biarritz with SOFI 64

C'était SUPER!

I was 2 months @ SOFI64 and it was just perfect for me. I liked the style of the school because it is small and we were like a family. During class time I learned a lot because Steph was always well prepared and I truly appreciated her enthusiasm. I could feel that teaching is her passion and to have a teacher like her makes it much easier to learn the subject. When I had a question regarding French or other things she always took her time to help me out.

My host family was booked over the school and it worked out perfectly. I couldn't have had a better family. :)

Regarding the location: Awesome!! I felt in love with this place. It is chilled, beautiful, interesting,... and the people are so kind.

For my next French course I would definitely choose SOFI64 again!!! Thanks for everything!!

Escuela de francés en Anglet SOFI64

He estado en la academia de francés SOFI64 en Anglet. Elegí la escuela de casualidad, simplemente porque fue la primera en contestar mi mail y desde luego NO ME ARREPIENTO, he estado encantada, tanto con el curso, como con el trato y mi familia de acogida.
He hecho un curso intensivo de 2 semanas además de unas clases particulares. He mejorado muchísimo el francés que tenía bastante olvidado.
La directora de la escuela se llama Stéphanie, que además de ser directora es una excelente profesora. La escuela es pequeña lo que la hace muy familiar. Está terminantemente prohibido hablar otro idioma que no sea francés y la verdad es que consigue que todos hagamos el esfuerzo y sea el único idioma que se escuche y esto no pasa en todas las escuelas de idiomas. La escuela ofrece cursos de francés por la mañana, cursos intensivos con 2 días por la tarde, cursos de mañana y por la tarde curso de surf y también curso de cocina los fines de semana, así que hay una gran variedad. Lo que también me ha gustado mucho es que el número permitido de alumnos por clase es de un máximo de 8.
La academia te facilita, sin coste alguno, la familia de acogida. Todos mis compañeros y yo estuvimos muy contentos con nuestras familias. Solo uno de ellos pidió cambiarse y ese mismo día Stéph le buscó una nueva familia.
La escuela está muy bien ubicada. Al lado hay panaderías, pizzerías y un pequeño carrefur donde solíamos ir a comprar algo para comer en una mesa en el exterior de la escuela. Las playas están a 5 min andando, son preciosas!! Biarritz está a 10 min en autobús que pasan cada rato. De verdad, si estáis buscando una buena academia para aprender francés os recomiendo SOFI64 sin lugar a dudas. No os vais a arrepentir. Yo ya he reservado para volver el mes de marzo.

French and Surf

I had a two week French&Surf course at Sofi64 and enjoyed it very much. Not only do you have a great learning environment at the lovingly decorated school but also have motivated teachers that really care for you making progress. When I was there in June, we were a class of only 4 students and thus learnt a lot, especially regarding oral expression (what I think is the most important part). Apart from school, I also did the daily surf course, which took place at the beach nearby at the surf school of John, who also was very nice and tried to make the stay as relaxed as possible. Surf classes were great with our teacher Rafa and the beaches in Anglet are perfect for beginners.
I want to give my thanks to Steph, the owner of the school, for taking such good care of her students and for making it an unforgettable experience. Also thanks for all the coffee , chocolatines and tartes we were enjoying each day :-) I can totally recommend Sofi64 and would return directly for another course if only I had the time...

Fantastique! Unforgettable time at Sofi-64

I went for two weeks during off-season late Oct/early Nov and it was the best thing I could do for my French. Two students to one teacher, brilliant ratio! We had Pauline who was excellent at finding creative ways to help us improve comprehension, speaking, reading and writing. With three hours in the classroom plus friendly people you’ll meet living in the B-A-B area, and my brilliant host family I was thrown in the deep end and when I came up for air I felt confident that I could thrive in the language.

Imagine each day beginning with friendly french greetings to your neighbours, a stop at your corner boulangerie, a 45 minute walk along the atlantic (I stayed in Biarritz), the waves crashing on the beach, the sun just beginning to warm, a few hours at school with a small community of likeminded people and expert instructors in french language and culture…all in French. You’ll dream in French by the end :)

Signed up for a two-week course…stayed on for 7 weeks

My husband and I planned to stop in Biarritz for a two-week French course before we moved on to another part of France for the remainder of a 3 month holiday. I have always been hopeless at learning languages, but I had become so frustrated by my inability to communicate while on holidays in France that I thought I’d give this school a chance rather than feel isolated for three months.

This was a fantastic decision! After the first two weeks I was confident enough to carry out all of my everyday transactions around town in French and decided to cancel the rest of our holiday plans in order to stay on in beautiful Biarritz and carry on at the school.

We attended the school in the off season and expected that, since we were walking in off the street, my husband and I would be forced into the same class even though we were at distinctly different levels in French. We were pleased when Steph placed us in separate classes despite not having any other students to group with my husband. I think it really shows her commitment to her students’ learning.

Before starting, I was very afraid of the ‘no-English’ in class rule, because I didn’t have any French apart from what I had learned listening to language tapes, and knew from experience that my tapes had taught me no comprehension. However, Steph was very patient teacher and with a combination of repetition and miming I quickly started making huge leaps in comprehension. This was definitely helped by the fun conversational sections we had at the start of each day.

The content of the class was perfect for me, really focusing on the topics that I needed to get by living in France. After two weeks I had made so much progress that I wanted to carry on, so in total I spent 7 weeks at the school over a 3 month long stay in Biarritz.

I can’t recommend this school highly enough.

• The Campus

A great place to study French!

I spent 4 weeks learning French in SOFI 64 this autumn. After this time I can follow a conversation and understand a lot. I learnt more French in one month from Steph than I did in 4 years at school learning French in my home country.

Our group was small, between 2 and 3 people. The class was great, really dynamic; the 3 hours pass really fast. There is a lot of conversation and games that help to improve really fast and just the perfect amount of grammar. We learnt all the aspects needed: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Every week is a different topic that teaches how to improve the everyday conversation. Each class we talked about what we did the day before so we could speak and practice the new vocabulary.

The owner, Steph, who was our teacher is great, she knows how to make an entertaining class but strict enough to correct your pronunciation and grammar all the time. She also recommends us restaurants, activities to do, and the best places to know in the area. The classroom is perfect, and the school is well located, near the bus station, a supermarket, a bakery and the beach.

I took the “French and cooking” course, and once a week I had a cooking class in a restaurant. I could practice my French and at the end we would eat altogether what we prepared. It was a great experience.

I really recommend SOFI64! I had a great time, and it was too short for me, I would have loved to stay longer. My French improved really fast!

Standard French & Host Family In Biarritz

Located right next to the Atlantic ocean, they give students the opportunity to enjoy surfing, sunbathing or any other beach activities after the French courses.

In our class, at the moment, we are 4 students with 1 teacher. This is a very good situation to learn a language. We all have the chance to particiapte and speak French as much as we can during the course.

Host families are carefully selected and live within a few kilometers from the school. 4 direct and different buses lead to SOFI 64. That makes the school easy to find and reach!

Amazing Experience

I followed a 2 weeks course of French and Surf. Both have improved a lot. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn or improve his or her French. You can combine with surf if you want, which is really nice, because the environment in Anglet is just amazing for that! I had one of the best holidays ever and plan to visit Stephanie again as soon as possible when I'm around.

• The Campus

Perfect Vacation Combined With Perfect Fun, Experience And Sucess With Best Prof. Stephanie

Very nice owner of the school, with lot's of tips and hints what to do beside studying, motivating teaching style, beside this school is nicely located next to beaches of Anglet, strong recommendation!!!

You Might Never Leave!

I originally was going to France for 2 weeks and thought i'd get a little french in whilst there. I ended up staying for 2 months because it was such an amazing place and i felt like improvement was so accelerated there. Fantastic staff, intimate teacher to student ratio, fun environment and amazing location. So many things to do outside of class including great nightlife if you're into that. The only problem is you might never leave!

Sofie 64 - Superbe !!!

Absolument superbe. Les leçons étaient très intéressantes. J'étais à la Sofie64 pendant deux semaines, mais je me suis senti que j'ai appris beaucoup. Les profs. étaient superbes et la famille d'accueil étaient vraiment gentils. Je vais revenir à Sofi64 très bientôt.

Really good. I found the lessons at Sofie64 really interesting. As a person who didn't really enjoy lessons at school I was a little nervous at the start but they teach in a way that is interesting and entertaining. I was at the school for just 2 weeks which I knew was a short time but I felt like a came away with a lot of important information and really improved quickly. The host family were so nice. I can highly recommend living with a host family over taking a hotel - you get so much more out of your stay. I will 100% be taking more lessons at the school and hopefully will return to the same host family. I also met a lot of the other students host families which were all really nice too - they even invited me for dinner!

• The Campus

Bestest Three Weeks We Could Have Ever Imagined!

I had the pleasure to spend 3 weeks last summer studying in Sofi 64 and we could not have pictured a better holiday!

Not only we were able to learn french and surf but we learned how to do it while having great fun and making so many friends.

The school's method is completely different to some others that we as students are used to find. We learned grammar, practiced new vocabulary and became fluent in french and our teacher, Steph, made all of it seem easy and fun!

My host family and everyone's I spoke with were so nice and charming. They made you feel like home from day 1, they shared with you not only meals but histories and experiences; and all of this while learning french as well! I personally believe that anyone who is willing to learn french in a fun and easy way (while being able to practice other sports like surf or just have a good time with the young-ambience of the zone) should DEFINITELY choose Sofi 64 as their first option.
I can bet anything that you wont regret it, I am surely going back next year!

Fun And French In 64!

I was at Sofi64 for 12 weeks where I undertook the 'French Language' course during this period. Throughout the 3 month period, the class worked on a variety of everyday topics which involved and included important grammar points along with essential vocabulary building. The 4 aspects of language learning : speaking, listening, reading and writing we're all covered equally and extensively during my stay. The classes are small which allows the student to speak more french and build up a good level of fluency and Stéphanie, the directrice, really does encourage all the students to communicate in french - even during 'la pause'! All in all, I would highly recommend Sofi64 as a great place to go to learn french no matter what level you're at. The school is smaller than some of the bigger institutes offering french language learning but this is what makes Sofi64 the best place to go! Allez-y!!!!

• The Campus

Amazing Time At SOFI 64!!! Simply The Best!!

I spent 14 weeks in Biarritz in SOFI 64 and to sum up – it was an amazing time! I had great fun, I learned a lot and now I’m actually fluent in French. Not only was the school very interesting but also the people there were so friendly and warm-hearted! The director of the school – she’s called Steph – is really cool. She’s easy going outside of school but during the lesson she’s strict and she really wants that we learn a lot. The classes in general are quite small (between 3-7 people) and also international. The lessons were interesting, varied and also funny. As I already said, I spent 14 weeks there and every single day I was really looking forward to go to school!! and believe me I never had this feeling before ;-)

The ambience in the school was also really good. It’s a small, modern school near Biarritz and the best thing about it is, it’s just 5min by foot from the beach. I lived in a host family for my time there and it was again great. Everyone is just so nice there and your feeling really welcome everywhere. I booked the course “French&surf” because I wanted to learn how to surf. I succeeded but I’ll never earn my money with surfing :-D anyway the feeling was great and the organisation of the whole package was really good. I also recommend taking the “Intensive French” course, as I did for 6 weeks because it’s the fastest way if you really want to improve your French!

The last point I want to say is – One day I’ll definitely return to improve my French even more because everything was just perfect. A big THANK YOU to Stéphanie!!

Everyone who thinks about learning French in France go to SOFI 64!! :-)

Superbe!! Strongly Recommended!!

If you want to improve your French, I strongly recommend to take a course at SOFI64 French language school!

It's a small school in Anglet/Biarritz, Basque Country, whose director has nine years of experience in teaching French to foreigners.

I took a one month course with Stéphanie, the director of the school, and I improved my French so much. Stéphanie is very nice and she's also a very good teacher.

The first week was very quiet (low season). We were two students at school with different levels of French (though not so different: A2 and B1) but Stéphanie chose different classes for us. I found this choice really professional.

Though I've chosen the course "Standard French", I luckily had a private tuition course for the same price.

Moreover, you have no additional costs for inscription and for host family researching.

The lessons were really interesting and let me progress very fast, even more than I thought.

If you really want to progress (outside the school) I recommend to choose the host family. My host family was really kind and helped me to improve my oral French.

Regarding the spare time, you can choose: surfing, skating, making excursions, visiting Bayonne or Biarritz…the Basque Country is a wonderful place!

Besides, Stéphanie and my host family helped me in choosing how to spend my spare time.

It has been an unforgettable experience!

Surf And Sun In The South

I spent 4 weeks at sofi64 during summer 2013, taking the intensive option for 3 of these weeks and lived throughout in a host family. An absolutely fantastic time.

Stéph took all classes I attended which was set at around B2 level. The structure of these classes worked well, each morning for 3/4 of an hour we would talk about everything and everything, the surf the day before, what we did over then weekend or perhaps a more polarising (at the level of students' opinions) topic. For the rest of the morning, it would be more structured; focussed on grammar, small essays, more specific situations. Finally, the afternoons, with the intensive course, focused on speaking, this is where I most appreciated Stéph and her ability/patience to get us to explain and justify our comments - not that it was easy.

Over the period, classes ranged from 3-6 students, and intensive between 1-3. These small numbers really did feel important, and the fact that I received several intensive lessons as the only student (rather than having them cancelled etc) really illustrates the passion that Stéph brings to this school. (The nationalities also varied, which, more than anything, prevented us from defaulting to English outside of class.)

My host family was situated maybe 300 m from the school and I cannot speak highly enough of Nathalie and JB - absolutely adorable - still remember the shenanigans of our evening of mojitos.

I've had the good fortune to reinforce all that I learnt down south, and happily attest that, the 4 weeks I spent with Stéph at sofi64, was precisely the kick start I needed before moving more permanently to France. PS, it's a heck of a lot more relaxing than Paris in that heat.

Amazing Place To Learn And Live French

Great times, amazing city, great teacher! I love Anglet, the best city in France for sure! SOFI 64 is the best school and Steph is the best teacher! I will go back there for sure!

Eating chocolate croissant in front of the school with Steph and other students! I was really feeling I was french , she is amazing!

I stayed in the Hostel nearby camping! Great choice!

Best Way To Learn French

Absolutely overwhelmed by the overall experience of studying at SOFI 64 with our teacher Steph. I enrolled on the Intensive French Course initially for 3 weeks but ended up doing 6 weeks in total because I was enjoying it so much and advancing so quickly. Steph helped me every step of the way with finding the right level of study to suit my requirements and fit me in with a group of a similar level. Her teaching style is attentive, fun and dynamic and she keeps classes relevant, interesting, informative and topical all the while building on the structure and foundation of the french language. If you want to learn French in a lovely place, with beaches and forests nearby, as well as Biarritz and Bayonne, with great people and you want to advance quickly, then I highly recommend this course. You really won't regret it!

Too many to choose just one memorable experience but Steph becomes a friend and integrates you into the local community of the school. Plenty to do here and she's always got ideas for activities to do nearby. Having lived here for most of her life, she knows all the best spots and is generous in sharing all that knowledge.

I did a lot of research prior to meeting Steph and met a number of other teachers and went to a number of other schools nearby, but I instantly felt relaxed and happy when I met Steph for the first time and saw the school in Anglet and met some of the other students studying at the time who were also very happy. She was patient and kind and understood my requirements for learning French and was unbelievably helpful in suggesting the right course for me which I have enjoyed immensely!

I actually moved to Bayonne for the Summer so did not need accommodation sorting out for me, however, I know Steph has arranged Accommodation with Host Families nearby for a number of the other students who only ever report good things. Steph will help you every step of the way from accommodation to surf schools!

• The Campus

French Is My New English!

I enrolled with SOFI64 with the intention of finally getting a grasp on the French language after many failed attempts trying to learn in an English speaking country and with self teaching methods. Not having the ability to name the days of the week or count past 10, I was hesitant that the lessons were taught only in French and wondered how I was ever going to learn anything. After 6 weeks, initially only booking for 5, I have completed my A1 level and able to understand and participate in social conversations. Just as important my reading and writing skills are far beyond I could have imagined after such a short time.

Stephanie is a sound professional with a unique personality which makes learning enjoyable and most importantly effective. Classes are small and the course is structured perfectly to allow for a very favourable study/life balance. Very important where there are miles of great beaches to be surfed.

From an absolute novice like I once was or for people who may just want to take their French to the next step, this is without a doubt the place to do it. And did I mention the beach is close?! Amazing.

Memorable Experience? Being able to understand a full sentence in French without knowing it.

Why Choose the Program? To learn French and get to a conversational and written level.

Accommodation location couldnt have been better. Across the road from the main beach in Biarritz in an old heritage building. 10 min ride from school.

• The Campus

If It Was Possible To Rate It Higher Than A Plus I Would...

I spent 4 weeks in Sofi64 from the end of July to the end of August.

Firstly the town area of Anglet is fabulous, beautiful sandy beaches, relaxing, amazing food and great lifestyle.

Biarritz and Bayonne are no distance away by bike or bus, both have fantastic atmosphere, restaurants and nightlife.

The school is situated within a lovely corner of anglet with a carrefour, an excellent bakery and a few little restaurants within view from the door of the school. The best beaches in the area you can walk to within 5 minutes.

Steph is one of the best teachers I have ever had, she is dynamic, upbeat, and extremely knowledgeable. The classes were small 3-5 students and were based around conversational french with some grammar, exercises and games thrown in to reinforce learning. I can honestly say I enjoyed every class, it was not like a school experience and for that reason I believe I learned a lot more french. Perfect.

Steph put in the effort out side the classroom too, she organised some evenings out and we often had lunch after class together, speaking in french of course.

Accommodation was great, I stayed with a lovely host, Anne, who cooked great local food. We often had apéro on the beach with some of her friends when the weather was nice.

During the days I surfed, chilled, watched some french movies, or hung out with the other students.

I could talk forever about it but I'll leave it there.

To sum up, I surfed, learned tonnes of french, met some amazing people and dogs, ate and drank well and will be returning asap.

I chose the program because it's was the one that suited me the most in France, it was the least expensive in the area and unquestionably the best.

• The Campus

Wonderful Stay! Great Choice!

I spent 4 wonderful weeks in SOFI 64. The teacher, Stephanie, was very nice and the classes had many different activities ranging from video-related-activities to writing and grammar activities including game playing. I think the content was very well adapted to my level in the first 2 weeks, when I was alone in class, and was also very well adapted when another colleague joined the class. His level was slightly better than mine but I think the both of us improved very much. In addition, I love surfing and Stephanie informed me about the best surfing spots. Moreover, she informed me regarding the most relevant events in the surroundings so that I could enjoy my spare time. The beach in Anglet, Bayonne, Biarritz… there are many things to see and to do! Concerning the host family, It could not better. The school took care of searching the family and arranging all the issues. The family was part of the experience and they helped me improve my French as well as making me part of their day to day activities. Overally speaking, I think my stay in Anglet and the lessons in SOFI 64 were perfect. I would strongly recommend the school to anyone looking to learn French in France. Both the quality of the classes and the quality of the people (Stephanie and the Family) were absolutely grea!!

My most memorable experience was when I went to a theatre lesson with my host family.

I chose this program because I searched for schools in Biarritz and when I talked to Stephanie she looked very nice.

The host family was really nice. The house was really nice and I had I what I needed.

Fantastique!

I had a great time in Anglet, Côte Basque, France. The lessons were very personal with small classes, structure, interesting topics and challenges. Very suited to individual needs. The staff are very friendly and open. My host family was great, located 100m from the school and 200m from the beach!

Learning French Can Be Great Fun

When I first entered Stephanie's french class to fresh up my dormant high school skills I did not expect any surprises. But from the first day on I felt like home in the language class. I spent a wonderful month with a huge amount of fun, learning a lot about this beautiful language. The school is a cosy place and the lessons are as joyful and funny as you can imagine. Learning really felt like fun and I still miss going there. Luckily I keep all I have learnt in my head and try to use it every day as I live in France now. SOFI64 and Stephanie gave me the best start I could possibly have had. If you ever have the choice to learn french, this is the place to be!