SAI Programs Header Image SAI Programs Header Image

SAI Programs: Study Abroad in Sorrento

Study with a view

Sorrento, Italy is one of the most beautiful places I could ever hope to encounter, let alone live in for four whole months. The small size of the city makes it easy to become familiar with the locals and gives you the best excuse to practice your Italian. It is always easy to tell when you are coming back to Sorrento after a weekend of traveling, because Mount Vesuvius is always looming in the distance -- I highly suggest conquering Vesuvius on a hike. However, you don't need to travel far to have the best time. Sorrento is right on the coast, and it is very easy to spend every weekend admiring the beautiful views and visiting the neighboring cities.
The courses offered at Sant'Anna Institute are one-of-a-kind, and many include educational (and very fun) day trips. Sorrento is even home to tons of different internships, and I highly recommend looking into them!

Remarkable

For me it was about making contacts and networking. I enjoyed excursions to Capri and Pompeii. Having the opportunity to take the train to Rome and take my own walking tour was really remarkable.

I chose to do my internship here because I want to work abroad and the opportunity to intern in Italy was a perfect way to open doors.

I chose to live with a host family. This was by far the best choice. Getting to eat traditional Italian home cooking and trying new things is better than deciding what restaurant to eat at.

Remarkable

The Sant'Anna Institute is an amazing place to study abroad. I only did my internship here but everyone from the program directors, coordinators, and assistants were very helpful and ensured that you got what you wanted to get out of the program.

Immerse in the culture and meet amazing people

Touring Naples and experience the city as it was meant to be seen.

I chose the program when my professor told me it was a good place to go.

I was with a fantastic host family who speak a little English, so when I could not get by with my Italian, we could always get by with English.

The perfect summer in paradise.

My most memorable experience is at Regina Giovanna, a small cove located about 20 minutes from the school. It is my favorite place on earth. It is a small, secluded cove, just minutes away from a beach with plenty of places for cliff jumping, if you so desire, and easy access into the Bay of Naples. I spent an afternoon there with my friend, we stayed until sunset. On the walk back, we caught a ride from two very kind locals whom we had seen around town several times. They drove us all the way back into town on their Vespas. Every part of the day was perfect, from the weather to the sunset to the generous locals who went out of their way to return us home.

I was given strong recommendations from peers at school who had previously studied here. The reviews were fantastic. After some research, I fell in love.

I, along with another student, live with a very kind host family. Every morning they provide us with a great breakfast of cereal, bread, coffee, Nutella, and homemade marmalades. On Sundays, they also cook us feasts for lunch, which always left us pleasantly plump.

Summer of a Lifetime.

Traveling with friends to other countries on the weekends has been one of the most unique and memorable experiences.

I chose the program because of the location and classes that would transfer to my school.

I stayed in an apartment with two other girls. We had two bedrooms and one bathroom, a very large kitchen, and a few balconies. The landlord was great, aside from speaking little English and was very accommodating. The apartment was up the hill a ways from the main square, but gave us a chance to experience small town Sorrento.

Beautiful Sorrento, the perfect place to study abroad!

My memorable experience, going to beaches and exploring! (cliff jumping multiple times) and of course the amazing FOOD!

I chose this program because the town looked beautiful, it seemed like a great location, and it offered the credits I needed.

I lived in an apartment with 3 other girls from different places in the US. We had an awesome apartment with air conditioning, new appliances and furniture, and a huge deck.

Best summer ever!

I went on a hike with a friend, but for the majority of the time we had no idea where we were! We ended up hiking several miles up the mountains, and we became the best of friends by the end of it. After a few hours I was ready to turn back, until we reached a beautiful view overlooking all of Sorrento that made the entire hike worth it. We walked until we were too tired to go on anymore and stopped at a restaurant, where we ate a great dinner while watching Italy play in the Mondiale, before hopping on a bus back to Sorrento.

I chose it for it's long length, cheap price, and course offerings.

With a host family in a tiny apartment, about 20-30 minutes from the school. The family was always very caring and helpful, and besides troubles with the wifi and cold showers the accommodations were great!

If you really want to learn Italian fluently, don't come here but if you want to have an amazing time while immersing yourself in the culture, meeting amazing people, and seeing beautiful places, then come here!

Amazing food, people, professors, culture, and school. Do not come here if your only purpose is to become fluent in Italian because everyone speaks English here, but every other aspect of the experience was one-of-a-kind.

Really easy but still extremely informative and worthwhile.

Live with a host family.

Not one problem for any guys although the Italian guys could be kind of creepy around the girls in the program.

The perfect summer in paradise.

The food, the people, the location, the courses, the administration, the classmates. Everything is just perfect.

Summer of a Lifetime.

This program has everything I was looking for and so much more. The small town feel, beautiful location, and amazing people make Sorrento the perfect place for a summer study abroad. Our time spent here and traveling around Europe has really made this trip one for the books. Enjoy!

Beautiful Sorrento, the perfect place to study abroad!

Studying abroad in Sorrento was an amazing experience. Sorrento is a beautiful city that is small enough to allow you to get engaged in the culture, but big enough to have a lot of activity going on all the time. I would not change anything. Everyone should know about this awesome place and what they have to offer.

Best summer ever!

This has been an unforgettable experience! Though it definitely hasn't been anything like I had been expecting, I would never change my decision to come here. Sorrento is a tiny, beautiful coastal town absolutely full of tourists during the summer. Because of this you can live here for weeks without having to speak a word of Italian, but the locals really do appreciate it if you try! And your language skills will improve if you do.

The classes were very interesting and taught by professors that really know their stuff. It does take a while to get used to the structure though, since it is a lot more laid-back than American universities. If you take the time to focus on your studies, you will be surprised by how much you have learned!

Take advantage of your free time. It is easy to spend a day in your house or apartment not doing anything. Instead, go explore a new part of the city, or visit any of the amazing cities and sights nearby such as i bagni della Regina Giovanna or Positano. There are also countless hikes that are definitely worth your time.

Overall, a great program with caring and supportive administrators and in a wonderful location!

The Absolute Best Decision I've Ever Made

My most memorable experience was when one Sunday, I rented scooters with three friends. Haley rode on the back of my scooter and we drove around the windy roads to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello, then back. As we were heading home, the sun was setting. The pinky orange sky set off the seaside towns beautifully.

The Absolute Best Decision I've Ever Made

Sant'Anna and Sorrento are both amazing. The location is beautiful and the southern Italy hospitality will have you feeling right at home! This is the perfect place for people who want a different study abroad experience with lots of cultural immersion.

In general the classes are great for study abroad; not too challenging, and lots of out of classroom learning.

I lived in a huge apartment with 11 people. I wish i had chosen a home stay!

Sorrento's a small town, so you really get to know the locals!

Everyone is kind, friendly, and helpful.

Amazing

I had a great time traveling and had a great school experience.

Amazing

I had a great time traveling and had a great school experience.

Summer Session In Italian Coastal Paradise

Memorable Experience was driving a small boat around the island of Capri for a couple of hours one afternoon. Breathtaking sights, an incredible time.

To improve my Italian language speaking skills and to learn more about the roots of the Mediterranean's past. I chose the summer session because I did not want to spend a semester away from my home campus and and truthfully, to have a vacation. Even with the homework, my time in Sorrento and Italy was definitely a vacation.

I stayed with a family about 15 minutes away from the school (by foot). I adore them. They made me feel comfortable from the moment I stepped into their home. A friendship was forged.

Summer Session in Italian Coastal Paradise

I really enjoyed my time at Sant'Anna. The professors and administration were always available to answer any questions and lend their local knowledge to the students.
During the summer months, Sorrento is full of tourists because it is high season and an Italian city definitely worth seeing and staying in while traveling. However, at times, the constant English language on the streets overwhelmed the Italian language, and if you are here studying Italian, that could be a bit upsetting. But it is expected, because Sorrento is a destination.
The locals are all so friendly and the city itself is quite safe. Many people warned me about pick-pocketers before I headed to Italy...none of that in Sorrento.
I really did not want to leave the beautiful city, the school, and my host family. I developed friendships that I think will last forever and an even more ferocious love for the Italy, the boot in the Mediterranean.

My experience here at SASL has been a roller coaster!

My most memorable experience...it is hard to pick just one!! I have seen so many places through travel. My favorite places that we went with the school were Capri and Pompeii. These are places that many people would love to go, but probably won't ever get the chance to.

Personally I did a lot of traveling. My most memorable experience was probably mid semester break where 3 other girls and I went on a cruise! It was amazing

I personally chose Sorrento because it was the most similar to where I was coming from. My home university's enrollment number is equivalent to the number of people in Sorrento. I knew that coming from a medium sized town and school that I would be comfortable with Sorrento as a whole. Sorrento is the perfect combination of modern and rustic. The town boasts charming buildings and modern shops. You still get a traditional vibe with the advantages of a modern world.

My apartment came with a washing machine, place settings, plenty of pots and pans, dishes, towels, bedding, TV, and hairdryer. Keep in mind that living here isn't like America. We don't have a living room, but just a couch in our kitchen area. Most/All of our furniture is from Ikea and isn't very comfortable, but you learn to live with it. After awhile, your rock hard bed won't seem so bad :)

Abroad in an Italian Paradise

I choose to study abroad in Sorrento because it offered a smaller more personable experience in a lively beach town near Amalfi. The first 6 weeks of the program, Sorrento is a bustling town in the height of tourist season. After about mid October it slows down drastically and that is the time I started to travel. My professors were very accommodating and flexible in terms of rescheduling classes so I could travel. I was able to go to, Rome, Umbria, Milan, Amalfi, Possitano, Oktoberfest (Munich), Berlin, London, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, and Prague. It is definitely not cheap to travel but, a worth while cost and returning to Sorrento is always a breath of fresh air. I would recommend this to people who want an experience off of the beaten path but, one that offers a multitude of different opportunities. The nightlife around Sorrento post/pre tourist season is pretty slow so that is when I recommend traveling because once the town is alive it is amazing to wander the streets at night.

Great Opportunities

I can't truly complain about this program. Whatever you have in mind for your future study abroad experience, this program is bound to be able to give you the chance to go out and get it. Sorrento is a great location - near Sicily, as tropical as Italy gets, Mt. Vesuvious as a backdrop, and Naples near by for a big city feel. Sorrento is small though. Because all the towns in the area sit along the bay of Naples, they're usually only one town deep and Sorrento is on one of the ends of the bay so its a bit remote but still bustling during tourist season. Also not that it does definitely have a tourist season. If you're looking to speak Italian, you can definitely do so but everyone there still speaks English. I didn't take Italian classes and I though my class load was a little light. You'll never hear me complain of no homework but the two classes I took were a little easy and I was hoping for a bit more stimulation (you can only go to the beach so many times a month). Lastly, because the school is small everyone knows evryone so the staff is very helpful.

Sorrento is Ideal!

My experience here at SASL has been a roller coaster! I came to Italy knowing hardly anything about the language or the country as a whole. When I arrived, I was overwhelmed. Culture shock is real and don't doubt that for a minute. SASL gave us a welcome lunch, and fantastic orientation, plus a tour of the town.

My apartment is wonderful as I have my own room and bathroom (my roommates share by choice). The only thing that stinks is the wifi isn't very good, but you won't need it much other than to talk to people at home. Our land lady came by once a week to give us fresh sheets and take our garbage! My upstairs neighbors were actually quite terrible as their three children cried all day and into the night (almost every night). Walls in Italy are paper thin so you need to abide by the country's ordinances for noise. It becomes something you can adjust to or tune out, but it takes a lot of time.
Sorrento is a very beautiful and small town with both a rustic and modern feel to it. Tourism keeps the town busy during the high season, but dwindles down to locals in late fall. There are so many beautiful beaches, shops, and restaurants to see. Sorrento offers some of the best views of Napoli and Mt.Vesuvius. Other than sights, Sorrento is perfectly placed to travel from. You can easily hop the train to Napoli Centrale and catch many trains that go all over the country. The beautiful islands of Capri and Ischia are easily accessible as well. The Amalfi Coast is also a must, you can take a bus for 7 euro.

As for academics, school sits just on the rocks overlooking Marina Grande. The sights out of the school windows belong on a post card. School is great and always there to help you with anything. Serena and Dani are the best to go to for any problems/questions/concerns you may have! All the staff is extremely nice and all speak English pretty well for the most part. The only downside is one of my teacher's still doesn't have our names down and there are only 3 of us in his class. SASL offers many courses that can be applied toward general education credits, and some that can be taken independently to cover higher level credits. Although the courses lack a bit of structure (remember you aren't at an American University) I have learned a lot. Class is very personable and interactive, as your class sizes will be smaller (even considerably smaller if you are coming abroad in fall). Partaking in the Italian course is essential, and will come in handy. It is probably my favorite class!

As far as meeting locals, it is hard to connect because there aren't many college level students in Sorrento. There are young kids (mostly high schoolers) who seem friendly enough. We made a couple friends here and there and had some friendly acquaintances with shop keepers or waiters. Other than that, we had a pretty hard time meeting peers our age. I opted instead to connect with our staff at school. I have become good friends with Serena and Dani and I will miss them so much once I leave Italy.

Overall, I have loved my time abroad and I am so thankful for it. I have learned not only so much about myself, but about the world as well. Take it from someone who almost left the second week in, studying abroad will change your life! I know that I will probably be the person who will miss this experience the most. Studying abroad is more than just the experience in school, but outside those walls as well. Remember that you are LIVING here, you aren't just a visitor. Take in every moment, never take anything for granted, and try new things :)