SAI Programs Header Image SAI Programs Header Image

SAI Progams: Study Abroad in Florence

Study abroad in Florence, Italy

My study abroad experience with SAI was more than exceptional! Previous to this experience, I had never been abroad before, but SAI made me feel completely comfortable with taking this leap. The staff was so friendly and welcoming and they made themselves completely available to anything I needed. They provided fun activities for us like cooking classes and food and wine pairings! The housing circumstances exceeded my expectations, it was so nice! We had a full Kitchen, a living area, and the location was on point. Overall, SAI provided me with the absolute best study abroad experience I could have asked for. If I were to go back I would do it all over again through SAI!

SAI has the details

Unlike my mother's concern, I never really worried too much about details about being abroad. I just knew when my plane was landing in Florence and the address of my new home. Luckily when I stepped off the plane SAI was there to greet me with a folder of information and even snacks! They arranged my transport to my apartment and made me feel comfortable before I even got out of the airport! That's when I knew I was in for the most amazing semester of my life. The apartment that myself and five other women lived at was GORGEOUS. It was a beautiful older building with art work on the ceilings!! Of course there were some problems since it was older, but the location could not be beat. I have so many memories in those rooms that I will never forget. The friendships I made are everlasting and the trips I participated in were priceless. While I loved being able to travel around Europe, some of my favorite trips are the ones that SAI planned within Italy. Italy has an incredible amount of adventures to offer, and I probably would have not known about many of them without help from SAI. Thanks to the concern of my mom and the details from SAI, I will never forget the culture, the relationships, the adjustments, and the everyday adventures.

Home sweet Flo

Studying abroad in Florence was the highlight of my college career and one of the best decisions I have ever made. Our apartment was in a great location and sharing it with 7 roommates meant always having someone to get pizza or daily gelato with. SAI went out of their way several times to make sure that we were comfortable, whether it was providing whatever we needed for our apartment or just being a friendly face around town. If you want to eat the best food of your life, live minutes within some of the most famous art in the world, and have access to other countries only a train ride away I would definitely recommend studying in this beautiful city.

SAI in Florence was the best!

Choosing to go abroad with SAI at Florence University of the Arts was absolutely amazing. SAI was everything I could have asked for in a program and more. Florence was hands down the most amazing city to live in for four months, and It will always have a place in my heart. SAI gave you all the support you need in foreign country and was there for you anytime. They provided awesome program excursions as a chance to not only meet new people, but also to learn more about Italian culture. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is thinking about going abroad. Florence is an amazing city that has a high rate of study abroad students, so the opportunities to meet people and feel comfortable are always there. Florence combined with SAI make the best combination!

Semester to Remember!

My semester abroad was my first time traveling outside the U.S. I went by myself and it was the most fulfilling decision I could have made. The classes were unique and always interesting; very different from my home University. From the whole experience, I have gained confidence, exposure to one of my favorite cultures, and life long friendships. Thanks to SAI, they were very helpful throughout the whole process and the opportunities they offered us were endless.

Firenze--an adventure of a lifetime!

Before traveling abroad to Florence, Italy, I had not done a lot of research about the city. I googled Florence a few times and looked at the beautiful images that popped up and the Wikipedia description. I thought it would be a fit for me, and boy was I right! A lot of credit goes to SAI for making my stay there so welcoming, comforting, and overall amazing!
The day of my arrival was a bit hectic. Sitting on a plane for about ten or so hours plus lack of sleep affects the body in strange ways. Once arriving at the Florence airport, SAI was there ready to greet all of the arrivals and provide us with our living information. My ride to my apartment building was the first time I was introduced to the craziness of Florence traffic. It seems as though traffic rules are nonexistent, yet somehow, miraculously, during my whole time in Florence I never witnessed an accident!
SAI did an amazing job with living situations. My apartment was on the side of the River Arno opposite of the Duomo. We shared an apartment building with Florence locals, and interactions with them were always positive and cheerful. My roommates also studied abroad through SAI and attended the same university. It is really comforting traveling to Florence knowing that you will be living with other Americans who are in the exact same situation you're in.
Throughout the semester, SAI offered a lot of trips and activities (such as an overnight trip to Milan and Como). They provide students with lots of different ways to experience and explore the Italian culture, and I would definitely recommend to do as many of these as you can!
The courses I took at FUA were wonderful ways to explore different aspects of Italian culture. For my Food, Culture, and Society class, we learned about the history of food and the role it plays in the Italian lifestyle. During some classes we were able to walk to different markets and try different foods. We were also able to make our own in food labs! In my Exploration of Wine class, we learned about the delicate process of making wine and how unique it is to Italy specifically. In both of these classes, we took field trips, such as to wineries and Parmesan cheese factories.
Overall, my trip to Florence was one of the best experiences I've had in my life so far. It allowed me to explore my Italian roots and to meet family members who live in Italy whom I've never met before. Studying abroad definitely has it's ups and downs, and sometimes it's difficult. But in the end, through the difficulties and hard times, I've grown from my experience abroad, and have learned things about myself that I don't think I would have if I didn't go to Florence. I made so many amazing memories that I know will last a lifetime.

Pasta, Dancing, and Culture, Oh My!

It sounds silly to say that I only have four months in Florence, Italy as that may seem like a long amount of time, but really, it was hardly enough time to be able to completely experience all the city has to offer. It's not only one of the most beautiful cities in Italy but as a history and culture that reaches across centuries. It was the home of some of the most amazing artists, architects, and dare I say geniuses of all time and continues to support all kinds of art.
It wasn't just the city that made my experience abroad so amazing though, I had amazing classes, great roommates, found courage to explore the city on my own and felt safe while doing it and had the SAI staff by my side through it all.
The classes I took included Florence Sketchbook, Everything Chocolate (the history and how to cook with chocolate), a beginners Italian Language class, and The History of the Italian Renaissance. I am not a history person normally but found that the history class became my favorite simply because we were learning about the city, buildings, and paintings that were in the city around me and the people who used to live there.
I lived with two friends from my home university and two girls from two other American universities. We all became fast friends and ended up traveling most weekends together, cooking fantastic homemade family dinners, going out clubbing as a team, and generally doing just about everything together. They have become some of my closest friends.
The nightlife in the city is hopping to say the least. There really is something for everyone. There are clubs where you can go dancing in large crowds to techno music, small bars where you can have quiet drinks with friends, and small private music performances where you can hang with locals. There were many nights my friends and I went "out on the town" and had a blast but there were also equally as many nights we stayed in and watched a movie with wine or went out for late night gelato and just walked the streets of the city, appreciating where we were.
SAI Programs has so much to offer students and the best advice I can give is to take advantage of all they offer. They have tons of excursions and activities set up throughout your semester abroad including cooking classes (full meal- appetizer, main course, and dessert, that you get to make from scratch with help from profession chefs), biking tours in the Tuscan hills, weekend trips to Milan and Como and Rome, gallery openings, and so much more. SAI staff members also offer so much advise and support to students. You can go to their office whenever you want and chat with them when your homesick, have any sort of problem, or just want to chat. They're all so nice and genuinely want each student to have the very best time they possibly can.
I recommend SAI Programs and Florence wholeheartedly as the best study abroad experience you could ever ask for!

Trip of a lifetime!

SAI was my first choice from the start because of how helpful they were when I was thinking about studying abroad. They have lots of options for scholarships and internships, which I recommend that you all take advantage of!! I could write on and on about the experiences I gained and learned from studying abroad with SAI. It was worth every bit of hard work I put into it, and I highly recommend every student study abroad for at least one semester because you will learn more about yourself, what you want to do with your life, how to live in a completely different environment, getting out of your comfort zone, and I could go on and on! Studying abroad will help you professionally and I will definitely go with SAI again!!

The best four months of my life!

Studying abroad in Florence with SAI was one of the best things I have ever done! The process before leaving was made significantly easier with the help of the SAI advisors and counselors, and they really assisted in preparing me for my adventure abroad! Arriving in Florence, the staff was very helpful in recommending fun activities to do, helping us with any issues in our lovely Italian apartment, and creating activities to do as a group! With SAI, I travelled to Milan and Lake Como, Siena, and San Gimignano, some of my favorite trips of the semester! I wouldn't trade my abroad experience for anything and I highly recommend taking advantage of all that SAI has to offer!

Study Abroad in Florence!

Florence is an amazing city and it is full of Italian culture and history. It was so cool to walk through the same streets as such influential people. I traveled a lot in my time and I think that was really important to my study abroad experience. With that said it was really important to me to find a balance between traveling, studying, and exploring Florence. Overall my experience was amazing and I would highly recommend studying abroad to anyone!

A Summer of Adventure!

I absolutely loved my time studying abroad with SAI Programs at Florence University of the Arts. Prior to my departure, the staff aided me with whatever questions or concerns I had, and made sure I felt prepared for the journey that awaited me. As soon as I arrived, I met my three roommates, who thanks to the housing survey, were the perfect fit for me! We became fast friends, and I immediately felt at home in this big city. The Orientation was also helpful, allowing us to meet other SAI students, and to get to know the SAI staff. The staff is amazingly kind, understanding, and willing to help out in whatever way they can. At no point did I feel confused, unsupported, or scared; the SAI staff made me feel right at home! On top of that they provided great recommendations for restaurants, gelato, and things to do around the city. My time at FUA was unlike any other. I took beginning Italian and Introduction to Art History, two classes that couldn't be taught anywhere better than in Florence! My teachers were very nice, wanted to get to know us as students, and understood our desire to experience all the city had to offer! The course load was definitely manageable, and we were constantly being immersed into the subject area we were practicing. Whether it was interviewing local shop owners or ordering our food in Italian, or even visiting museums filled with works by Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, the learning never ended in a city rich with culture.
The apartments were also really nice. Mine was in the neighborhood part of the city, which I loved. There was a little coffee and pastry shop right next to our apartment and every morning my roommates and I would order an espresso. The man at the register knew very little English, so we were forced to practice our Italian. Due to our daily routine of ordering coffee, we became fast friends with the man and his wife even though a language barrier existed. I enjoyed getting the opportunity to immerse myself in the culture in such an authentic way. I also loved going on the FUA excursions and enjoyed times in Pisa, and Cinque Terre that were filled with activities led by our professors! There was also plenty of time to travel on the weekends which provided for a summer filled of adventuring! I met so many amazing people through the SAI program, and loved every moment traveling with them, taking in the view from Piazza Michelangelo, and enjoying huge dinners of pizza, pasta and wine! I would recommend the SAI program to anyone; as they gave me an experience I will never forget and supported me unconditionally along the way!

Best 4 months of my life

My study abroad experience, last fall, was incredible. Going through SAI, I felt very organized and prepared to spend four months in Florence. After an initial housing survey and questionnaire, (5 months prior to September 2013) I was granted my request to live in an apartment with all of my friend's whom I was traveling with; it worked out perfectly. Although SAI provided the option to travel to other countries, my friend's and I decided to book our own trips. Overall, I would definitely recommend SAI Programs to others.

Abroad: the true definition of a once in a lifetime experience

I studied abroad in the fall of 2015 through SAI in Florence, Italy. It was absolutely a once in a lifetime experience. SAI helped me every step of the way from settling in, to taking us on trips across Italy. If I had any problems abroad the SAI Florence staff of Regan, Pietro, and Alessandra were there for anything I needed. Also, in Florence I participated in the SAI Global Leadership Program. In that program I was able to volunteer all over florence with organizations such as the Tuscan Cancer Society and UNICEF. SAI gave me the opportunity to gain a different and better experience than the average abroad student in Florence. I am extremely grateful I was able to study abroad with SAI, I would recommend them 10 times out of 10.

Great Experience

It was an amazing experience. The program I went through provided some free excursions that were great. It was the best way to see Florence, even the rest of Italy. The staff were helpful in the beginning, but toward the end it was harder to get hold of them. Overall, it was an unforgettable time!

Fashion student goes abroad for the first time!

I studied abroad this past Spring Semester in Florence, Italy through SAI. I ultimately chose this program because they got their start in Italy--specifically Florence--so I knew they had experience and great connections with the city. Prior to my study abroad experience, I had never traveled outside the United States so I was very nervous and unsure of myself, but after a few weeks I began to grow more independent and confident in myself. This was especially true, living and studying in a country where English was not the primary language. You have to learn to do your research (especially when traveling in or outside your home country) in advance because you can't rely on the Internet and smart phones the same way you can here! This experience not only made me appreciate a new culture, but also my own and helped shed light on global issues and the different global perspectives regarding those issues. Lastly, it allowed me to travel to many different places in and outside of Italy giving me so many memories to last a life time!

La Dolce Vita

With my study abroad experience, I was able to interact with local Italian people, and feel fully immersed in Italian culture. My apartment was situated in a beautiful part of Florence, where I was away from the busy hustle and bustle of Florence and where tourists spent their time. My favorite part of Italy was getting fresh produce everyday and making a meal. The Italians know how to live.