Studienforum Berlin e.V. Header Image Studienforum Berlin e.V. Header Image

Summer in Berlin

I am glad to have been a part of.

The most memorable part of the program for me was the internship. I was placed at Ketterer Kunst Berlin, an auction house that works a lot with German Expressionist art. At this internship I was able to work with and handle art by famous artists that would be used in various auctions. I was also able to curate and exhibit some of the art owned by the auction house.

I happened across this program when one of my professors who knew I was interested in studying abroad suggested I go to Berlin. Compared to other programs I had been looking into Studienforum Berlin was the best deal and had the most potential to a worthwhile time spent abroad.

I lived with a single host-mother in an apartment in Prenzlauerberg, which is on the East side of Berlin. We were really well matched, we had similar interests in art and were able to live together without any major complications.

You won’t regret it if you go

Though the field trips and courses were incredible, my most memorable experience was the Thanksgiving dinner at the program directors’ apartment. They make sure to provide all of the students’ favorite Thanksgiving dishes so you are not too homesick and it is the students’ responsibility to bring the desserts. It was an adventure to make an American pumpkin pie in Berlin. Thank goodness for my host mother who helped me! The dinner was an extraordinary experience of blending cultures, sharing stories from the semester thus far, and appreciating the people who made our time in Berlin so extraordinary. The program leaders go out of their way to make sure that everyone is included and it is a night I will never forget.

I chose the program because my sister had done it and loved it. I wanted to improve my German and receive college credit while studying abroad in a safe environment. The program is tailored to college students because they take care of everything for you. I am so grateful to the Studienforum team for creating my home away from home.

My host family has become part of my extended family. My sister stayed with them through the Studienforum program before me. Between her stay and mine, our German host family visited us in the U.S. and my whole family visited them in Berlin. It is a bond across borders that I will cherish for the rest of my life. They taught me much more than the German language. They taught me about the culture, history, food, and most importantly, the hospitality of the German people. I can’t wait to visit them again!

Incredible Experience

I couldn't possibly pick one!! Most definitely all the traveling was a great experience, I got to see so much of Europe on my own and with my friends. However I was fortunate to make new friends in Berlin, and we did lots of activities around the city together that I might not have seen or done otherwise.

I chose the program because it offered a theatre course, not something you usually see in abroad programs, and an internship that would cater to my needs.

I lived with the absolute best family. My host mother was a doctor and Cabaret singer, and I frequently attended her performances. My host father wrote for Berlin's main newspaper, so he always knew of new exciting things and places to go to. My host sister was 13 and it was nice to get to be a big sister to her, go shopping, hang out. We also had a multitude of pets, including a dog named Tico and a pig named Heinrich. We lived in half a house in Lichterfelde West. They could not have been more welcoming and absolutely wonderful to me. Our personalities matched so perfectly, I was floored that the program could have found a family so perfect!

Choosing to study for a semester in Berlin...

Choosing to study for a semester in Berlin was by far one of the best decisions Ive ever made. The 10 other students I traveled with have become my best friends; I wouldnt trade the experiences we had together for anything.

The Studienforum Berlin e.V. program itself was phenomenal. Whether we took a simple trip to a museum or traveled to the Czech Republic for a weekend in Prague, I was never disappointed with the experience. Each excursion planned by the program was well structured and not only educational, but fun.

If you have the opportunity to travel to Berlin through this program, I would not hesitate for a moment. It is with complete sincerity that I say my experiences in Berlin have changed me as a person for the better.