Stray Asia Header Image Stray Asia Header Image

Southeast Asia's Flexible Network for Adventurous Travelers

• The Adventure

My stray adventure: Myanmar, North Thailand, & Laos

I recently used Stray to travel in Myanmar, North Thailand and Laos. I had my doubts before on going on a guided tour but liked the fact that Stray gives more flexibility and is not your usual tour company. When using their passes you have the option to hop-off if you want to stay longer at a place. Accommodation, activities and restaurants are suggested, but you can choose whether you want to do it or not. You will have a tour guide traveling with the group that can also give you alternatives and help you. You will also meet a lot of fun people on your tour which is awesome if you are traveling solo as I did.
I first found out about Stray when I was planning a trip to Myanmar. Since tourism in the country is relatively new and I was worried that traveling individually is still difficult, I chose to travel with Stray who provided a really good 10 day itinerary that covered all the highlights that this country has to offer. Additionally to our Stray guide, we also had a local guide showing us around at each stop who could give us a lot of interesting facts and information that you can't get from guide books alone.
I really enjoyed this trip and I can only recommend to travel in Myanmar with Stray.

As I had some more time left, I also had a look at other tours that they offered and also went on a tour that went from Northern Thailand to Laos and covered most of Laos in depth. This tour had the option to hop-off and I would recommend to maybe stop in Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to stop, which was a bit unfortunate as I would have loved to explore those places more. Stray had their own bus that took us around Laos, which was really convenient and comfortable. We did stops at points of interest like temples or waterfalls on the way to our destinations, which you would probably not be able to see if you use a regular transport, so I think that is really awesome and a big benefit.
Another great thing was that we had a local guide with us for the trip. Khamla is from Laos: he was really funny and friendly and gave us a lot of information about his country. It was also great to have a local with us since in the remote areas of Laos you won't get too far with English. If you are looking to explore more of Laos than the usual spots and also want to travel to more remote areas than I can also only recommend to do that with Stray.
In general I think Stray is awesome if you don't have that much time or traveling in Southeast Asia for the first time, as you are getting a lot of support and transportation is already arranged, but you still have the flexibility to plan your itinerary as you like.

• The Adventure

Helpful tour guides

We had a good experience with stray. The tour guides Paul and ouhn were both lovely. Ouhn especially helped us sort journeys etc back to Bangkok even though it wasn't included in our pass and he didn't have to. The only complaint we would have was that we had some trouble booking on to the bus at first and it was not clear to us that we even had to do that. This was not at all the guides fault though and Paul quickly sorted it out for us! Overall we had a great time thanks stray!!