Star Exchange Header Image Star Exchange Header Image

Au Pair in China Learn Chinese for Free with Star Exchange

One year far away from home- four seasons in "Middle Kingdom"

Honestly it wasn't my first choice to go to China, but finally I've never regretted to spend around 365 days as an Au Pair in Beijing, what means northern capital.
I also wouldn't say that I had a cultural shock when I arrived, anyway there are a lot of things you don't expect or estimate. Probably it's easier not to wrack one's brain, so just start the adventure of your life! Dare you :)
Chinese' behavior and act are hard to understand at the beginning when you're still used to your western daily life, but you will adopt to all these differences more and more. During hard times you've got a host family, friends or your agency , who are all willing to help you or find answers for several questions you can't comprehend, so face this time as a chapter in your life that makes you get to know yourself better.
You fit in being Au Pair if you bring some of these following characteristics: you should be open minded, warm hearted and reliable because as an Au Pair you have to take care and teach the diamonds of the family. Your host family trust you with their most important they have, their babies.
In return they will pay for your chinese language course, supply you with meals over the whole day and provide a monthly pocket money.

In conclusion I've made friends from all over the world, visited amazing sceneries and left any kind of prejudice behind. I had a wonderful time and that's why I will go on studying chinese language although I finished my year. In addition I'll always have a chinese family who welcomes me when I go to China again.

So I recommend you to make your own experience in China , you won't regret. Especially because the public media transmits a picture that doesn't refer to the reality.

A year in the city that never sleeps.

I lifed one year as an Aupair in Beijing - one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.
China is an awesome country, I couldn't imagine all the opportunities I would have during this year: finding a second family, learning Chinese, finding friends from all over the world and travel to amazing places.
The support from starexchange was always helpful. My caregiver Nicole was always listening to us, doesn't matter whether we have problems with the family, got homesick or just needed someone to talk to, so I always felt really protected, because I knew that there will be someone who would help me if I get any problems.
The program is unique, because you can go to university and meet a lot of people and find friends, I haven't seen another program with this opportunity and I can just recommend that it is really helpful, because it's hard to meet people on the street and make friends and when you are so far away from your home and family, you need friends and it's much more fun to travel with friends than traveling alone - I know it from experience.
After this year I can just recommend starexchange - thank you for everything.