Spoleto Study Abroad Header Image Spoleto Study Abroad Header Image

Summer Art programs in Italy for high school students

Spoleto study abroad experience!

This is the best educational and growth experience my son has had to this day. The teachers---PHENOMENAL!!! They taught so much more than just writing. They taught appreciation of life and other cultures and experiences. The setting-- UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS! The town is friendly and beautiful. The excursions-- FANTASTIC AND FUN!

And, the icing on the cake….my son has gone from a solid B in honors English to a solid A this year. Hooray!

Spoleto study abroad review

Great program, met people from all over the US and made good friends. Studied voice and instructors were great. Overall great experience. The living quarters were a little old and the showers only had cold water so that is why I gave that a 9. Otherwise incredible experience. Also got to see a lot of Italy.

A once in a lifetime experience

I went to Spoleto and I had the best time! I learned so much about myself and other people. We visited five different cities within Italy: Sienna, Orvieto, Assisi, Florence, and Tivoli. Each location was beautifully, vibrant and each building within the cities had its own historic background. I was really able to immerse myself in the culture and learn so much about the beautiful city of Spoleto. We were able to see an opera, visit churches, beaches, etc. Not only were the excursions very fun, the classes were too. Spoleto Study Abroad offered Italian, arts and ideas, drama, etc. The counselors were super nice and they gave us a chance to tap into our creative side as well as challenge our learning skills. I studied in the field of vocal music while in Spoleto and was able to really improve my technique and learn a lot from a top notch, professional instructor. I also sang in the choir and us singers were able to showcase our skills and sing as a group--that was really fun. I made so many new friendships with the people in and outside my field of study, which was great. I was even able to connect with the counselors because they were caring and very approachable.
Another thing I really enjoyed about the trip was the food! Each Italian dish we were provided with was delicious--the gelato was even better. Aside from the food, I feel that the living spaces were great as well. We stayed in a convent and it was beautiful and spacious (the nuns were very nice, too). Outside the convent, we were able to roam around and really absorb the new community around us. We received free time to relax, shop, and meet different people in the small town of Spoleto. I was really pleased with the friendly atmosphere of the city!
Spoleto Study Abroad is a program where the students are really able to learn a lot about the rich culture of Italy, different fields of study, art, and even more. This program pushed me outside my comfort zone and I'm so blessed and grateful that I was able to be a part of such an amazing experience.

A summer to remember

Our daughter participated in the Spoleto Abroad Program (drama and music concentrations) while a junior in high school this past summer. It was truly the best experience for all of us. The academics, including side trips, were conducted by an experienced and challenging faculty, and the students were emerged in the culture and history of the area. She met friends from around the country with common interests and goals. The program did an outstanding job of keeping parents informed of the daily routine. Our daughter returned from this program more mature and confident in her abilities not only in the arts but in travelling abroad without family.

A Beautiful Experience

I will never truly find the words that accurately express my gratitude and love for Spoleto Study Abroad Program. My time in Italy introduced me to the most incredible people, who I have the privilege of now calling my friends. From drinking cappuccinos on ancient aqueducts to dancing in the courtyard of the convent while rain soaked my hand-washed clothes, Spoleto gave me three of the most vibrant and happiest weeks of my life. I think about Italy every day and the beautiful people that thread me back to that blissful time of my life. Spoleto became a home to my peers and I. It truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity that adds to your knowledge of the world, of yourself, and of art and love- the universal languages.

Nun buns, bruschettas, and cathedrals: a summer frozen in time

When I first read reviews about Spoleto Study Abroad, the first thing I worried about was their lack of hot water in the shower (note: there are exceptions to this if you run quickly enough from dinner to the nunnery and get into the shower first; it's a skill). What if I don't make friends? What if I get homesick?These questions bugged me constantly, but I took the leap and applied. When the time came, I packed my bags, hugged my mom goodbye and left to Italy from Boston Logan Airport. As I boarded the plane, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Briefly speaking, it was a great experience with incredible cultural immersion and opportunities to refine my skills as a classical singer. For a slightly longer description, Spoleto was a little haven nestled in Umbria that allowed me time to breathe, look around, and feel what these poets meant when the say "time stood still". I still remember winning the Paleo race with my little group and going to the aqueduct to celebrate with gelato. Just then, surrounded by my friends and the loud Italian chatter, I felt completely and utterly in the moment. There was a sense of urgency following the next day when I realized that we were leaving Italy in a couple of days (i.e. pasta shopping), but until that night the days and nights passed by with ease and I didn't feel the hustle and bustle of city life coursing through my veins. For those of who may be very familiar with this feeling, I highly recommend this program. When good food, good company, and rigorous artistic opportunities meet in Spoleto, something exciting happens. As cheesy as it sounds, this program gave me a beautiful memory frozen in time of sixteen year olds running through medieval towns with camera in one hand and a piccolo gelato in the other. Even now, when I've landed back to the busy routine, I slip out the beautiful postcards I bought in Assisi and Tivoli and wonder when I'll go back.

Great program

This program was exactly what I hoped from it. I was exposed to a culture completely different than the one I had been living in before and opened my mind to trying new things and experiencing a new way of life. I was finally able to overcome my fear of public speaking through this program and improved my ability to "see instead of look". This program is perfect for anyone wishing to excel in their art and be immersed in a great culture and be able to just see Italy in general.