SPI Study Abroad Header Image SPI Study Abroad Header Image

SPI Study Abroad: French Language Immersion & Culture France

SPI gave to me ignited a desire to learn

Because of SPI, my French has improved tenfold. It has provided me with the edge that I need to start a life that intricately involves France; I will never be the girl who just "took French in high school." Not only that, but the experiences that SPI gave to me ignited a desire to learn about new cultures, places, and people--more valuable than any language.

Merci beaucoup SPI!

My experience in Biarritz with SPI changed my life! I have to admit I wanted a study abroad program for the fun, but once I arrived I realized there was much more to it!

I have traveled outside the US multiple times with my family, but always stayed at hotels, sheltered from the "real world" during this program

The program was easy on my, my school, and my parents. I felt really safe at all times, and never felt lost or intimidated thanks to the amount of information provided by SPI.

I learned a lot and retained more than I thought!

I couldn't ask for a better family!

These guys are amazingly friendly! and you can tell they've been doing this for a while because they anticipated every question I had.

AMAZING

The people in Biarritz were amazingly nice, the classes were great (relaxed but I learned soooo much, I can now actually speak French not just understand it) and the social scene... amazing.

• The Campus

A Summer In Biarritz France

SPI's program in Biarritz afforded a pleasant mix of formal instruction, cultural immersion, and individual exploration. I spent three weeks living with a homestay family just yards from our language institute and a 5 minute walk to the beach. After 3 hours of formal instruction everyday, afternoons were spent exploring the town, surfing, relaxing at the beach, and partaking in various cultural or outdoors activities as organized by our guides. In the class room, my teacher, Jean, was incredibly helpful and catered to everyone's own level. Outside of the language institute, my guides were incredibly thoughtful and competent, fostering a safe, fun environment. I highly recommend this program.

a really great experience

This was an amazing experience for me. It was a perfect balance of studying the language and enjoying the 2 weeks vacation, and it was set up to leave enough freedom to have tons of fun while still maintaining an active learning experience. It was really great to meet new people, and since nobody knew each other going into it we were all in the same boat and got along extremely well

It's all about the home stay!

The program overall was great. I really got to immerse myself in the culture by spending the free time in town interacting with the locals. Of course, the home stay experience is what made the experience worth while. I loved the opportunity to be able to get an inside look into a typical locals life. The memories of participating in the sacred dinner conversations will stay with me forever. Within the group, outside of school, we spoke english, instead of the local language. I still got to speak a good amount of French. However, it was not a complete immersion, because the entire two weeks was not spent speaking French. Overall, it was a trip I will always remember. I made a lot of great friends and experiences that many people would love the opportunity to have.

Biarritz is an incredibly safe town. There is very low crime. Being in a foreign country is always a little nerve racking. Especially for us, because we were there alone. But, I did not feel scared for my safety while I was there. Having the host family gives a local reference. I was not worried for my safety during my stay.

A Bittersweet Affair

The trip overall was pretty good. I had an amazing homestay, and I made a lot of good friends. It rained a lot, but the scond week, when it was nice and sunny, we got to spend a lot of time on the beach. However, the first week was pretty boring because we couldn't do much. Also, I wish school in the morning was shorter, because it made the whole experience somewhat unpleasant, having to do almost four hours of French every morning.