SPI Study Abroad Header Image SPI Study Abroad Header Image

SPI High School Spanish Language Immersion in Santander

Amazing Place, Amazing Experience

My most memorable experience, that is really hard to say. I loved my homestay family so much that that was probably my most memorable experience. But honestly there were so many memorable experiences I had with this trip that it is really difficult to name just one.

At first, because I wanted a good 4 week program in Spain during the summer. But then after reading more about SPI and how their main goal is to immerse students into the language and culture, that became really important to me. I didn't want a tour of Spain, I wanted to feel like I was part of the culture.

My senora was an older woman with no kids, and she was absolutely the sweetest person in the world. She was like a mother to me during those 4 weeks. The food was wonderful, as well.

SPI Santander: Amazing Place, Amazing Experience

Studying with SPI in Santander will always remain one of my most treasured memories of my life. With SPI, you really feel like you're getting a great taste of the language and local culture. I met tons of new people during my program from all over the world, and I learned so much. I loved the city of Santander, the people, just everything. The excursions are all really cool, too. My favorite was hiking in the Picos de Europa mountains. Awesome program!

Amazing Experience in Spain with SPI

I was so happy that I chose SPI in 2007 and still continue to reap the benefits from my experiences. I also studied abroad with them in Italy and it was amazing

Overall, this was a fun, educational, and insightful experience.

The SPI study abroad program was a fantastic experience! We got to see many cool tourist attractions while learning about the Spanish culture. Also, my host family was very hospitable. As far as the learning experience goes, my knowledge of the Spanish language and culture significantly increased. I had a great time and learned a lot! I couldn't recommend this program more!

Santander, Spain

Santander was the experience of a lifetime. I participated in SPI's program the summer after my junior year of high school after taking 3 years of Spanish. I LOVED the city and my host family was amazing. I hung around a lot of locals because I lived with an 18 year year old in my Spanish home. He showed my roommate and me great spots in town and introduced us to his friends. The SPI directors were really strict about curfew though so it was hard to experience many aspects of the night life. Luckily, our host mom was pretty lenient but a lot of other participants had strict families and had to be home by 12. The school was really close to our home but I think there needed to be more divisions of classes. Personally, I thought most of the material was a review including grammar and culture, but I benefitted a lot from speaking and listening. Overall, the people I met are what made the trip. We all got along so well and didn't stop laughing the entire time. SPI was really organized and coordinated fun stuff for us to do. I loved this trip and recommend it to anyone looking to get away and explore but feel trapped because you are "too young." I promise you won't regret it!

• The Campus

SPI Study Abroad Santander 2 Week Program.

The overall experience was amazing and I really improved my spanish speaking and writing ability and can now confidently speak and write in Spanish. Santander is a beautiful town with a rich cultural history and lovely people. Hopefully I can repeat the experience again so that I can improve even more. We took part in so many different activities after the mornings in the classroom that I lost count.

¡Viva España!

SPI Santander was a wonderful, life-changing experience. From the directors, to the classroom, to meeting locals and living the Spanish lifestyle, you will find yourself pushed out of your comfort zone, and into a new mindset. Perfectly sized, fun beach town located in Northern Spain near the Pico de Europas mountains. Very worthwhile trip.

Overall a great experience in the classroom; however, teaching styles in Spain differ from the United States, and that is something to get used to.

Wonderful host families were waiting with open arms for us the first day. This Spanish hospitality continued throughout the program, and we were treated like family. Walking is the main transportation, which I enjoyed, however busses are available for longer trips.

The immersion aspect was my favorite part of the trip. Living the Spanish life of food, family, and fun times was a wonderful experience. In order to fully immerse yourself in the language, it takes a certain mindset.

Wonderful staff and directors. Delt with all types of situations with grace, and made the students feel relaxed throughout the experience. They even offered help with our course work to those who needed the little extra assistance.

This town was very safe, and for students who are not used to being independent, the staff help them along the way.

Social Life:
The people of Spain are known for their late nights and open personalities, and the locals of Santander became very close friends with some of our group. The directors let you enjoy making these new friendships, while keeping a eye on you for the good of the group.

Fantastic Experience !

I have never traveled by myself before, but from the start, I felt very welcomed by the SPI program heads. I started with the extension and I really loved it. For anyone looking into this program, I highly recommend taking advantage of this. I was able to see more of Madrid and get adjusted to Spanish culture before the other students arrived. The hotels we stayed at were great. They were located in central areas and clean. Unfortunately, I found myself needing a lot of money to operate and have a good time in Madrid, Santander, and everywhere else we traveled. Activities/excursions, some transportation, and some meals needs to be payed for by you. We had many free afternoons to ourselves, and to be honest, we did not know what to do with ourselves. I found myself shopping or sitting in a cafe most of the time. A warning to parents, I went easily through about (with extension) $2000. I could have spent more, but I skipped some of the excursions which you are required to pay for. Besides this, the trip was FANTASTIC! My Spanish is smoother and I find speaking comes much more quickly.