Spanish Abroad, Inc. Spanish Abroad, Inc.

Spanish Abroad, Inc. Spanish in Cusco

• The Campus

Comprehensive Program

I studied at the Spanish Abroad Cusco school in 2003, but it is one of those programs that still sticks with me. I was in the Group classes, but because I was at an intermediate level, they ended up being more or less semi-private classes. My first week I had some issues with the teacher as she was favoring a French student and often speaking in French (which I don't speak) and I brought it up to the school at the end of the week during evaluation of the program, and I was surprised as to how well the issues were addressed. The administration apologized to me, spoke with the teacher and set me up with a different instructor the following week. I was very impressed how they handled the situation.

Classes included conversation, light homework, "field trips" and other real-world situations. Outside of class the school offered volunteer programs, free salsa lessons and brought in a doctor to speak about travel health. At that time, they also had schools in other locales, which you could choose to go for a week, or weekend at a discount. We stayed in one of the other schools (just for room & board) one weekend and it was a fantastic experience.

The homestay was great. I was with a woman and her adult children in an area that was a short bus ride away from the school / center of town. She had a couple of other students stay there at times while I was there, and I ended up extending my stay for a week after my classes finished. She was extremely nice and easy-going. For a long time I stayed in touch with her.

Although I haven't yet, I've been meaning to participate in another Spanish Abroad program some day.

Great value, life changing

I did a 2 week program in 2003 (I know, a long, long time ago!) & ended up staying with the host family another 2 weeks without taking classes. At that time, I thought it was a great deal for the price.

The family & students were amazing. The language school also had a lot of free extra-curricular activities such as cooking classes, volunteer programs, salsa lessons and had the opportunity to also visit the other school sites in the Sacred Valley. I was placed in the advanced classes, which they ended up being semi-private which was great because I still got the group rate.

I had an issue with the teacher I was assigned to unfortunately, because she favored a French student and often spoke in French (which I don't speak). In the review at the end of the week, the administration addressed the issue, apologized and placed me with another teacher for the 2nd half. I was happily surprised that they took my criticism seriously and remedied the situation. The 2nd teacher was fantastic.