Sol Abroad participants Sol Abroad participants

Sol Abroad: High School Study Abroad Program in Spain

A great program and an even better value!

This was my son's first trip abroad on his own. He was between his sophomore and junior year in high school when we signed him up for the 5-week option of the Granada program. The entire experience from registration process to writing this review has been great, especially the friendly staff at Sol Abroad whom you can actually talk to on the phone if needed. As parents of a single child, we did have the nervous feeling at the beginning as we dropped him off at the airport, but it soon became evident that he was extremely well taken care of. At one point, our son ended up having to be taken to the local ER. One of the group leader took it upon himself to take our son there and then stay the entire time to make sure he was taken care of. He even called me from the ER with an update, which assured me great deal. To summarize, our son came back and claimed that the Sol Abroad program was the best 1 month of his life! Highly recommended!

My Trip to Spain

I had an incredible experience while in Granada, Spain. I especially loved being able to spend 3 days in Madrid before arriving in Granada. My course at the University of Granada was incredible, and my host family was absolutely amazing. I highly recommend the trip to anyone.

Life Changing

By far, my host family was the best part!! Ana and Miguel are loving, caring, and absolutely hilarious. I learned a lot from them. The learning environment was very nice. It had a small class size and beautiful scenery. I would have like to been able to go out and see the social scene because that is a big part of Spanish culture, which we missed out on. Overall, I enjoyed my experience. I learned a lot and my host family (Ana and Miguel) was the absolutely best part of my experience. Also, Beatriz is awesome too!

2015 Sol Abroad Spain Trip

Going to Spain for the first time was amazing, it was honestly the coolest experience of my life. The instructors were really nice, the excursions were fun, the social life was amazing and the experience was a once in a lifetime thing. If I could do it all over again I definitely would and I truly enjoyed every minute of the experience from being in class to walking around the city. My host mother was extremely nice, she cooked amazing food, she had a great personality and she really made me feel like I was at home. Once I landed back home I truly missed Spain and all of the friends I made while being there. Don't miss out on this opportunity with Sol Abroad because I guarantee you'll never experience anything else like it!

The Most Exciting Month Of My Life

I can honestly say that the month I spent on the Sol program in Argentina was the most fun and exciting month of my life. For one, I made new friends who are now among my closest friends. When you go away for a month will people you've never met, a welcoming social environment is critical; Sol provided exactly that. I was also extremely impressed with the high quality of Spanish instruction at the language institute. When I needed to move up a level in Spanish, this was not a problem at all. There is a class for every level of Spanish, and both of the teachers I had were excellent. I cannot recommend Sol more highly.

My Spanish Experience

I will never forget the time I spent in Spain this summer. It really was a wonderful experience. My host mom was great, and I know from the others that were also on the trip that their host families were great, as well. Also, having roommates was not only comforting, but it helped me get to know girls I had been going to school with for two years, yet didn't know a thing about. Living with a host family really helped us experience life in a Spanish home, and pushed us into speaking Spanish. I, myself, am Mexican and come from a family that speaks Spanish. And though I already am familiar with the language, I learned so much on this trip, words I didn't know before. Being able to walk around the city of Granada and having to communicate with residents helped broaden my Spanish knowledge even more. The activities were amazing, too. If I had to choose my favorite, it would be the Alhambra. Just getting the chance to walk through a real castle was the best feeling in the world. Another activity that I enjoyed was the adventure course. This course helped me face my fear of heights and helped me fulfill my dream of zip lining.This trip is unforgettable, and everything I experienced on this trip will stay with me forever. And none of this would have been possible without Sol Abroad and Brent Hunter! I would highly recommend this trip to anyone out there wanting to learn Spanish and experience the world. And I would definitely do this again!

The Best Time Of My Life

I would recommend this to anyone. Though I went there with a pretty good Spanish-speaking ability, my friends in the program who were not prepared as thoroughly had a wonderful time too. I had heard others say that they never got enough food, but my host parents made it a goal to send us back 5 pounds heavier than when we arrived. The cultural activities we did are things that we would not have experienced if we just went there with our families. We were encouraged to immerse ourselves in the culture. They provided us with the tools to stay safe and suggestions that we should follow when conducting ourselves there. They also made sure that no drinking or other illegal activities were occurring. I loved my teachers at the little language school, I loved the directors, I loved EVERYTHING. Honestly, I had the time of my life. I want to go back. I would recommend this to anyone.

There was a lack of transportation back from the cultural activities. One night my friends and I didn't have any change for a cab so we ran home in order to make in time. But they planned everything well otherwise. I enjoyed all of the activities we did and I loved the way they sent out the information before the program. They sort of spread it out a little bit so it was very exciting!

Our host family didn't have an air-conditioner, but that was pretty typical.

My favorite place was La Vie De Italia. The gelato was heaven.

My roommate got an extremely bad sunburn with blisters and such and we went to a pharmacy and they took care of her- no problem.

A Controlled Immersion

Sol Abroad is a great company with friendly and competent staff. Everything went smoothly. However, I was displeased with the rigour of my course - although I placed in Spanish level 5, my classmates mostly showed a basic understanding of the language, slowing the class and restricting my progress. To be sure, I did learn a lot, and my Spanish-speaking did improve, of course, speaking only in Spanish for four hours each day. But I did not learn as much as anticipated. Further, although we went on daily cultural excursions, it was always in a large group of fellow Americans. In fact, I found that I rarely had to speak Spanish outside of class, save to my host family and whilst shopping. This is to be expected with any high school study abroad group, though, unless it is composed of largely international students. This is no fault of Sol, and I'm not sure how it could be remedied.

Overall, it was a great, enriching experience and I would recommend Sol Abroad for beginner-to-intermediate Spanish students, as an advanced level is not required. However, I would not recommend it for those wishing for maximum challenge and improvement in Spanish speaking.