Sol Abroad participants Sol Abroad participants

Sol Abroad: High School Study Abroad Program in Costa Rica

Great summer cultural immersion experience

My 16 year old daughter had a fantastic time on the Costa Rica Spanish immersion program last summer. We found the front office incredibly responsive, helpful and easy to work when we were evaluating the program and when we ultimately signed up. We chose Sol Abroad because of the home stay, spanish classes that focused on conversation in a fun setting, and cultural immersion opportunities. Sol Abroad was by far the best program I could find in Central or Latin America, and we loved their emphasis a full cultural experience. My daughter's home stay family was loving and kind. Her classes were fun and entertaining. And she enjoyed all of the excursions and various baking, sports, activities. She also loved her free time and the fact that they weren't booked and organized every minute of the day. This gave her some independence she was craving. Highly recommend Sol Abroad!

Wonderful!

Great classes. Great food. Great teachers. Great people. Great country. Great trips. Everything was absolutely fantastic. I had an absolutely wonderful time and would do it all over again if I could.

• The Campus

I Didn't Want To Go Home!

I improved my Spanish so much, and learned how to adapt to a different way of life. I loved the freedom of being able to go to town with friends, and I also loved the tourist attractions.

4 Thumbs Up!!

The program was great. It was very fun and interesting. It mixes cultural immersion and learning perfectly. The people are great. The host families, friends and directors you meet are all interesting and excited and it makes the whole program amazing. The excursions are awesome and interesting making the experience very enjoyable on all levels. I would recommend this program to all who are interested in studying abroad. This is a program you´ll cherish and I am very appreciative that I participated in it.

It Was Top Notch.

This program was an outstanding opportunity. Although it was challenging at times I was able to work through these challenges and benefit my Spanish while having an amazing time. Living with a Costa Rican family allows you to be fully emerged in the culture and fully benefit. You have no choice but to practice your Spanish all day. The classes that are offered everyday have wonderful teachers that accommodate to your needs and influence your grammar. I recommend this program to all.

Epic

This program was so wonderful all the excursions were beautiful and the directors are so nice it was a really great experience.

Very Good

I have to say that i did not expect very good things coming into this trip. I had expected a very negative and awful experience. Little did I know that I would be very pleased and happy with the trip and the people involved. My directors were always very nice and helpful, the teachers were all very experienced and the activities and excursions were simply phenomenal.

This Program Was Wavey

This program was awesome and gave me a great sense of what life is like for the typical Costa Rican person. My only complaint is there is a lot of time on your own with your host family.

The Epitome Of Great

There were so many great things on this trip that I could go on and on about- the food, the locals, the town, the school, the weather- but there were two things that were by far the best. The first best thing was the new perspective I got. Living in a small town, it´s easy to forget and not understand the entire world going on around you. But with this trip, it really gave me a perspective of different towns, countries, cultures, ways of life, all of it. Now, I´ve got a travelling bug- I want to go everywhere and see new things and meet new people. I love the freedom and understanding this trip gave me. While the perspective was great, my favorite thing BY FAR were the people. I never thought coming into this trip that I would make amazing friends, but somehow I did. The friends I've made are some of the most interesting and fun people I´ve ever met, and I adore each and every one of them.

I LOVE Spain!

Helping out teaching English at a local school was the most memorable experience I have from studying abroad.

I chose the program because of the great deal and the extended period of stay (4 months).

I stayed with a family and they were very nice to me

My son's experience

My son had an amazing time and a great experience. All of the staff were courteous, inclusive, and helpful. The program had a great balance of academics, cultural immersion, and sightseeing fun! The white-water rafting was amazing, he said. His family was wonderful and made him feel at home. He said the home cooking was great!

Great trip

i really enjoyed this program i thought three weeks was a good amount of time for me. The program leaders were nice. The bus was by far my favorite part of the trip. I also really enjoyed the beach and everything about the Manuel Antonio weekend trip.

Costa Rica Summer 2015

Our daughter had a fantastic experience in the program. She has been in dual language throughout her schooling,the program and experience showed her how valuable dual language is. We highly recommend.

Loved it!

I loved this trip and everything about it! I learned a lot about Costa Rica's culture and some colloquial terms along the way. Pura vida was a commonly used term and I loved to use it! I also made some great friends and we still keep in contact.

A New Experience

I learned how to speak Spanish more fluidly. I got to witness many amazing sights that not many have the chance to see. I was fully immersed in the culture.

One Of The Best Summers I Have Ever Had

This has been one of the best summers i have ever had.The locals are nice, the weather is almost perfect, and the food is tasty. My host mom was so nice and caring, she was always there when I needed her. The directors were very funny and easy to talk to. White water rafting was probably the best part of this whole trip. I suggest people join this program because it is so different from what we are used to in the States.

Great Times!

This program really helped me improve my confidence and speaking skills. I made many friends and got a chance that not many people can get!

Sol Abroad Was Great!

Sol Abroad was an amazing program for people interested in increasing their Spanish in a fun, welcoming environment.

Costa Rican Adventure

The Sol Abroad High School program is filled with great people. The directors, the teachers, the families, and the students all are incredible. The cultural immersion is sublime. The community of Atenas is very welcoming and safe, and it is easy to interact with the locals. The excursions are unforgettable. Each one is better than the next. Zip lining and white water rafting are definitely experiences that everyone should have. I love SOL ABROAD.

FUNNNN!!!!

Sol Abroad in Atenas is something you will never forget!

Life Changing.

Sol Abroad has been a great experience for me. In my life, this was my favorite trip so far. The cultural experience was phenomenal. Even though we didn't learn as much Spanish as I had expected, I definitely feel like what I had learned in the past was solidified. Great experience for me.

An Experience That Changed Me

My memorable experiences were the excursions to Granada, Nicaragua, Manuel Antoinio National Park, and my own weekend trips around the country to different national parks.

I chose this program because I wanted a Spanish immersion program that I could afford, and that is exactly what I got. My Spanish has greatly improved and my friends from other programs wished they had found Sol when searching for programs because Sol was cheaper.

I had my own room, a comfortable bed, and a closet, and the house was kept immaculately clean. Internet was painfully slow, but that is to be expected in many foreign countries. Delicious fresh food and varied meals.

Cultural experience good, but many academic slackers

My daughter had a great host, but she told me that some parents use this as a way of forcing their slackers kids to get a bit better at Spanish. Apparently, the were some kids who didn't take the program seriously and were disrespectful to the teachers.

Great experience!!

I had a great time this summer doing this program! I came to Costa Rica not knowing any Spanish and after only three weeks, my Spanish is so much better than it was before! My host family is great, the food is good, and the trips were fun, especially the white water rafting and the ziplining. I guess the only downside would be that Atenas is a very small town and there isn't much to do in the free time that we have, and some of the cultural activities were a bit boring. But overall, I loved my experience.

Costa Rica Experience

My experience in Costa Rica was very enjoyable. I really enjoyed the way that the classes were taught. It was a small class and therefore I got a lot of individual attention. I also loved the way that we used games to help us learn spanish. Using games made it tons of fun! I loved how much spanish i learned but I also enjoyed learning about the culture of Costa Rica and the life lessons that came along with living in a foreign country for 3 weeks. The friendships I made here are special to me and I am very thankful for the amazing people that I met here. Living with a host family was fun and I learned a lot about Costa Rica just from talking with her. I think that the host family is a huge part of the experience because you learn a lot about the culture, a lot about the way people live, you get to try traditional foods, and you make a new friend. The excursions were also a huge part of the experience for me. I adored the white water rafting and the dance classes. Those were my two favorites! Costa Rica was a really great experience for me and I would definitely do it again. Pura Vida!