Smaller Earth participants Smaller Earth participants

Au Pair in Spain

• The Employer

• Pay and Benefits

• Professional Development

An experience to remember forever

Having spent six months in Spain under this program is one of my favorite life experiences. I met many people who were also either au pairs or Erasmus. I traveled throughout Spain as well as a couple other countries such as Germany and France. I was able to improve my Spanish speaking skills and dialect by speaking with locals around Madrid. I still keep in contact with many of the people I've met and I've made friends that I'll never forget. I was paid 70 euro a week for a little spending money and I had mornings during the week to go out and explore. My only issue was how strict things could be; I was asked to prepare lessons for the children whereas other au pairs were not required to do so. It was very stressful at times. Over all, it was the best experience of my life and I've been able to add it to my resume for future opportunities and so far, so good ! Definitely worth it.

• The Employer

• Pay and Benefits

• Professional Development

Au pair Spain

While I enjoyed my six weeks in Spain, I did have some issues. The biggest one was that the family had no air conditioning. With it pushing 100 degrees every day, I hardly slept more than four or five hours a night. I was irritable most of the time but did my best to hide it. Besides that, the family was great. They took me to several cities around the country and introduced me to many friends and family members. I'm not as "fluent" as I would have like to become, but I do feel I have improved my Spanish. My favorite part was hiking part of El Camino de Santiago and visiting El Prado.