SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Morocco: Multiculturalism and Human Rights

Amazing

Everyone should study abroad if possible. Life changing. I loved SIT's field learning curriculum. We went on several fun excursions throughout Morocco and really immersed ourselves into the culture. SIT is unlike many other programs that are similar to going to college at home. We did most of our learning outside of the classroom.

Not academic but awesome

Though not academically challenging, SIT pushes students to gain critical exposure to the country's culture and languages. Students do a homestay for three months, and this is unique to the SIT program -- definitely the highlight of my experience.

This Morocco program exceeded my expectations--I loved it!

I had the time of my life on this program. I loved the staff; they are so dedicated to connecting you with the right resources. I loved the excursions--we were exposed to landscapes I didn't know could exist, wonderful food, and they served as great bonding experiences for my fellow peers and me. The research part (ISP) was probably my favorite aspect because you can live or travel anywhere within Morocco, conduct (and learn how to) research on a topic you enjoy learning about, and you meet awesome people. I will say there are some aspects that take getting used to, like using the Turkish toilets, the language barriers, and hearing the call to prayer in the middle of the night, but all of these parts combined to make the experience unique and lovable. I totally recommend this program!!

Academics were not as rigorous as that of a US school system, but that doesn't mean we did not learn. We heard from great speakers, and the research component proved to be equally challenging and rewarding.

The homestay component was one of my favorite parts of my experience!

I felt really safe, but as a female, it's challenging to get used to the catcalling.

Social Life:
It's what you make of it! Celebrating birthdays/weddings with your host family is as equally fun as exploring nightlife in Marrakesh. There's so much to do all the time.

Disorganized but full of Adventure

The trips and field trips organized through the CCCL and the SIT program were all really great. Along with the weekend trips students took on their own time, we all saw a lot of Morocco. Living with a host family was great but challenging. The biggest pitfalls lay in the lack of emphasis on education and in the disorganization of the CCCL staff. Also, we learned Classic Arabic 15 hours a week but had to speak Moroccan Arabic in everyday life. That was a challenge.