SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Indonesia: Arts, Religion, and Social Change

SIT Indonesia: The cultural immersion experience

My time in Indonesia was incredibly memorable, and a period a significant personal growth. This was my first time being completely on my own in a different country, so meeting a new group of people in an environment that was unfamiliar to me was an unexplored territory. Even so, my time there was amazing. SIT values experiential learning, which was probably the element that left such a lasting impression on me. Not only did we learn about Javanese dance and Balinese gamelan, for instance, but we actually had to opportunity to lean how to perform these different art forms. We were able to explore a number of ancient temples, practice purification ceremonies, meet with traditional artisans to watch them create their crafts, and build relationships with our homestay families. My experiences in Indonesia will forever be memories that I cherish, along with the friendships that were built along the way.

Culturally Enriching and Spiritually Freeing

The staff in Indonesia are incredible. They are very involved with the students and the community and will do anything to help you. The fast paced and intensive language program is very beneficial for speaking to host families and locals. The lectures in combination with the many field trips will enhance your overall knowledge and immersion into Indonesian life and culture. Added bonus: the program center has amazing food!

Living with host families in both Bali and Jogjakarta was very beneficial for my education on Islam and Hinduism.