SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Ecuador: Development, Politics, and Languages

Go to Ecuador!

Ecuador's an extremely diverse country, and SIT does an incredible job of showing you that diversity, culturally, linguistically, and biologically. I learned a lot about Ecuador, a lot about sustainable development and indigenous struggles, and a lot about myself. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in a unique semester that will challenge and surprise you daily--but in the best ways.

A character building experience in Ecuador

My most memorable experience was living with an indigenous family for about 5 days. It was truly difficult, because they're norms and way of life was so different from my own. Yet, I became very close with this family and learned so much during these five days.

I chose my program because the focus is on politics, development, and language. All of these topics interest me greatly. But what really swayed my decision, was the ability to devise my own independent research project. I think this was truly unique, because it was a different way of learning then the typical universities in the USA offer. Field work can be truly rewarding and exciting.

I lived with about four different families of different social and economic classes. It was very interesting, and I loved the range because it gave me a better idea of the people in the country.

A character building experience in Ecuador

Best decision of my life was when I picked to study abroad in Ecuador. If you are looking for a study abroad experience where you will do more than just party and drink, but actually immerse yourself into the culture and gain knowledge about a country, then you should definitely choose this program. I met loving families, climbed various mountains, and met the most interesting political activists. My understandings of concepts such as development, sustainability and language have completely flipped. The other students in my program were truly amazing and intelligent.

Overall, an amazing experience!

The Independent Study component of the program was definitely a huge part of the experience. One of my most memorable experiences was the feeling of accomplishment and empowerment when traveling on my own during my ISP.

I wanted to go somewhere in Latin America, and the focus on Cultural and Development fit my academic interests as I am a Race and Ethnic Studies major. I also liked the language component of this program.

I stayed with three home stay families for about a month each, the first two were arranged by home stay coordinators, the third through my director's contacts. The homestays were extremely valuable in developing language and communication skills, and building relationships. Homestays also provided us with safe, home-cooked meals. During group excursions and transitions we stayed at eco-lodges and hotels.

Amazing Experience Overall

This program did an amazing job of opening our eyes to a many different parts of the country, including both geographically, and culturally. We got to hear from a variety of Ecuadorian perspectives, and the cultural immersion and directors were fantastic.

The Directors are great about keeping you prepared, informed, and safe overall.

Social Life:
I had amazing friendships with the others in my program, and the homestay coordinators do a good job of pairing students with host siblings near your age, but I do wish I could have made more Ecuadorian friends my age, though this is difficult given you are only in each place for 3-4 weeks max.

I Ecuadore this place!

In addition to learning so much about Ecuador's history and current political climate, I also learned so much about myself and gained a new sense of independence. The program has three excursions to a cloud forest, to the Galapagos Islands, and to the Oriente, which are all unique and lots of fun. The Independent Study Project is an important part of the program because you get incredible research/ethnography experience and experience writing a long research paper in Spanish. One of my favorite memories from Ecuador was stumbling on a play about the indigenous experience in Ecuador in La Ronda, the oldest street in Quito, and at the end of the play we all had to get up and dance together. Ecuador is an absolutely beautiful country, and on this program you will get to enjoy the nature, the city life, and become completely culturally immersed.