SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Cities in the 21st Century: People, Planning, and Politics

I can say without a doubt that this program...

I can say without a doubt that this program was the best experience of my life. It is so rare to come into contact with so many people from such diverse backgrounds who are not only intelligent, but curious, empathetic, and hyper-aware of the world around them. This program taught me how vast our world is, yet how incredibly small it is at the same time. I simply cannot describe the profound impact this program had on me; if you are thinking about applying, go for it! You will have the most unforgettable experience!

Immersive, Critical, Demanding, Exploratory, and Flexible

I became interested in urban studies my sophomore year, and wanted a change to explore the discipline in a transnational context, as my college didn't offer similar classes.

I lived in Europe as a child and felt that it was likely I could visit some more traditional study abroad locations (England, France, Spain, Ireland, Australia) on my own.

How to change how you look at the world

This was an absolutlely rewarding academic and personal experience, because I learned more about myself and my place in the world than I could have in a classroom back home. I was constantly challenged by my professors and classmates to really look critically at our environments and cultural experiences. I was encouraged to find and pursue an independent project on a subject that truly interested me, and I found ample support from faculty and classmates alike. This program has better informed me of the kinds of professional experiences I want to engage in, and it certainly helps that doing IHP has now plugged me in to a huge network of professionals and opportunities. After doing IHP Cities, I'm excited for what's ahead!