SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Argentina: Transnationalism & Comparative Development in SA

Best semester of my life

I had an incredible time abroad, as I'm sure millions of other people can say. What millions of people can't say is that they got to travel to other countries like Brazil and Uruguay and learn about academic themes from experts in those specific countries. Whether they were professors, economists, lawyers, etc. they each brought a unique perspective, opinion, and passion that made learning even more valuable. It is true that one can learn from sitting in a classroom but also traveling and doing activities unique to the country makes the learning more relevant and tangible. We worked hard, but the amount of knowledge that we left with and unforgettable memories that we created, made the work 110% worth it. What was awesome and what seems to be unique to SIT is that the last month we did our own independent research project. No classes, no tests, just interviews, reading, cultural immersion, and unforgettable experiences. I developed a passion for learning more about professional women in the workforce and because of this project I found a topic that has made me yearn to learn more educate others. SIT offers so many different opportunities to get involved in the community or speak with experts on issues that interest you. There are so many resources available, but its up to you to seize these chances and shape your own experience. We were not babysat and we were treated as adults. I think SIT did a great job though of offering needed support if someone needed it, which made it possible to feel okay about going out of one's comfort zone and meeting new people, seeing new places, and being independent. I knew I did not want a typical run of the mill study abroad experience and I certainly didn't. What I got out of SIT was much more than that. I learned more than I ever thought both in the classroom and from the students I was with and I felt like I had really become an "adopted" Argentine. I was comfortable, happy, I had my daily routines and I made friendships that I will forever cherish.

Incredible Experience!

It was an incredible experience! Definitely one of the more expensive programs that you can do, but I was so thrilled to say that all of the money that I paid for the program came back to me. They did a really good job of organizing trips while I was there... I felt like it was well worth the cost. I would give it an A+... it's an amazing program and really challenging, which I enjoyed. Academically and linguistically, it really pushed me to get to the next level in terms of my Spanish. The program also had us do an independent research project at the end of it so that was a wonderful experience and really helped me develop my Spanish. The only thing that I would say is that with the program you spend the entire 3 months with a group of 15 Americans so rather than being integrated into a university, which I think is really probably the best way to learn a language through integration, I did not have as much opportunity to speak Spanish with native speakers as I would have liked... but that really came down to me forcing myself to do it.

I studied abroad with SIT, which is a good...

I studied abroad with SIT, which is a good fit if you are looking for a smaller, more challenging experience. Independent study component gave me a chance to delve deeper into different aspects of Argentine culture, and the ability to travel around the country with an interesting group of people.

A semester I'll never forget...

Every study abroad program has its ups and downs. SIT RI,SC and D is a small, hands on program run by a great staff. You'll have classes only with other program participants, which you can either see as a social advantage or a cultual immersion detriment. Individual travel is limites but you do a lot with the group. It is absolutely what you make of it.

For me, the semester in Buenos Aires was one of the most amazing, fun and even educational experiences of my life. Not only did my Spanish get better and gain fun and different accent, but I got to take part in and fall in love with a beautiful and rich culture that I may have never gotten to experience otherwise.

SIT Argentina: Regional Integration, Social Change, and Development is run by some of the most caring and enthusiastic people I have met. They were always willing to support us in any way necessary, both academically and with anything related to homestays, health issues, and cultural questions. They did a great job in matching us up with our host families based on personalities and personal needs. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to living with a family for one of my college semesters, but the homestay was one of my favorite parts of the semester. My host brothers helped me with the language (slang and professional vocabulary alike), took me to futbol games and distant places in the province, and helped me to adjust and get to know my way around the city. I lived in Palermo and found some delicious cafés, popular bars and restaurants, and energetic boliches extremely near to my house.

We spent a lot of time in classes and traveling to them, more than I expected in fact. However, we did not have to spend an unnecessary amount of time on homework. Almost all classes were run by a different guest lecturer, which added variety and also a bit of confusion to the mix. The readings were almost exclusively in Spanish, which was a great way for me to increase my academic vocabulary. My Spanish class was a little disappointing, as I feel like I didn't learn anything that I hadn't already learned before. The professor, though, was extremely willing to work with me to give me extra work and harder assignments. The ISP period turned out to be a little difficult to manage, time-wise, but was a great opportunity to really get to know a topic that interested me. I got to observe and work with a community organization based in the province of Buenos Aires that began as an asentamiento, or a piece of land collectively claimed by families in need of dignified living space, and is slowing growing into a community support group for those same families. I learned so much more than I ever expected going into this project and am so glad that itook the opportunity to explore the province, study development and social change in Argentina, and get to know people from such vastly different lifestyles than my own.

The traveling through the program was well planned and such an enriching piece of the academic experience as well. Going to three different cities in addition to Buenos Aires, learning the customs and some language native to those areas, we were exposed to more culture and pure life than I would have thought possible. The classes could be long, but we were able to visit several indigenous communities, a collective farm of the Landless Worker’s Movements, villas/favelas/baños (all types of slums in the various countries), and educational institutions with different goals and organization than I am used to seeing. The professors are all very intelligent and well versed in their subjects and made an attempt to make us feel comfortable no matter where we were studying. These trips were also a really good way to get to know the other students in the program since we lived, travelled, studied, and ate together.

Overall, this is a semester that I will remember forever, both for the fun Argentinian life I was able to live and all that I learned in and outside of the classrooms.

Amazing experience!

Through the program director, I was able to volunteer in one of the "villas miserias," the slums along the southern part of Buenos Aires. This was an incredible experience and really helped me obtain a deeper understanding of the culture and the city. I was also able to use my connections there to conduct interviews for my independent research at the end of the program.

The independent study program (ISP) is what attracted me to this SIT program. It's so much more than just a direct enrollment - not only do you get the cultural immersion, but you learn so much about yourself since you are challenged academically in ways a home university would never be able to challenge you.

My home stay was fabulous. My host mom was exactly what I had requested in my form and we got on fabulously. During the trips to Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay, we stayed in nice hotels and had good accommodations.

Amazing experience!

There were so many one-of-a-kind opportunities provided through this program. Being able to travel to neighboring countries (Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay) as well as being in Argentina and seeing first-hand the subjects we were studying was critical in learning about development and social change in the region. Another highlight was the independent research component, which challenged me academically and personally in the best way possible.

The home stay families the program picks are amazing. They really try to make the best pairing they can!

The program staff was always ready to support us. I couldn't have asked for better directors.

Bonding and cultural immersion

Without a doubt traveling to Iguazu was my memorable experience. Most unbelievable thing I have ever seen. Definitely recommend going there!

Runner-up is staying out to watch the sunrise over Puerto Madero.

I wanted to go somewhere Spanish speaking, with a small program. I also really liked what the general coursework was for this program, and that there was an independent research project.

I lived with an Argentine host family.

Bonding and cultural immersion.

The thing I loved the most about this program is how well it allowed for us to all in the program to become close. It was a small program. We bonded and became, as cliche as it sounds, like a family.
I also loved how we were able to travel internationally. I do wish we had more time to explore the other countries we visited.

SIT programs let you move around the country,...

SIT programs let you move around the country, to explore with an academic focus. I had a great time, and conducted month-long independent research in Patagonia. I would recommend this program.

Good - recommend; academics not great

I'd recommend it. The homestay was really good - I think that gives you a much better understanding. I thought the academics were not great relative to Carleton but still interesting.

It is what you make of it

I loved my home stay and the majority of the staff on this program. It's hard to make friends outside of the kids on the program, I'd say that's the largest drawback. The academics are largely what you make of it as the program is independent-study-based but you have access to incredible resources. The program is also flexible and goes on incredible excursions. I would definitely do it again. Argentina is amazing.