Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image

Short Term Group Chinese Studies

Excellent experience

My short-term study experience through Silk Road Start was excellent. Our language teacher did a great job of teaching us about both the culture and language of China, and we were able to learn more by being on campus with thousands of friendly Chinese students. Everyone in the program was very welcoming and helpful, and the university students were as well. Although I was only there for a short time, I was able to learn a lot about the culture and see that it is possible to learn Chinese.

Silk Road Start program

We couldn't have asked for a better experience! The class time was so valuable & helpful in gaining insights into the culture and language. I feel like I personally walked away with a much better understanding of Chinese history, culture, etc. The language we learned was really helpful as well! We had extraordinary teachers who were very kind and helpful. By the end of the two weeks we could successfully introduce ourselves, have a basic conversation and even purchase items at a market - all in Chinese. The instructional methods were conducive to learning and also fun. This greatly aided us in being able to interact with locals and acclimate to the culture. We loved it and hope to return someday! The housing arrangements/ accommodations were very nice. The only downside was not having quick access to a washing machine, but we made due just fine.

Short term summer 2016

The program was excellent! Our instructors were incredibly kind, helped us anytime we needed it (even outside of class), and taught us very well. Our group learned so much about the culture and the language during our time at Eurasia!

Learning to connect

Although I didn't walk away from the classroom able to fully speak or understand Chinese, I felt as though the learning we did in the classroom prepared me to connect well with Chinese students. That was the whole point in my mind. I felt like we went kind of fast through some parts of the material, but again, that gave me an opportunity to ask my Chinese friends questions about their language. I enjoyed both my teachers as well.

Faithful experience

If I could describe my time in Xi'an it would be that the father is faithful. The hardest part was just meeting people who knew good enough English. Throughout the weeks, He was faithful throughout the good and the bad. It was really cool to see that the father was still a work and still working. I loved getting to know the students on the campus and just building relationships with them.